Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had Flowmaster 10s put on last fall with factory resonators. Virtually no sound difference except the signature Flowmaster sound. Just added Blastin Bobs glasspacks a couple of days ago in place of resonators to actually get some sound.

You know when you get that exhaust "ting" after you shut off the car?...yeah... I get extra loud tings with my current setup...car off or while driving or idling. Weirdest thing. It didn't happen until the glasspacks. I can hear it in a quiet house with the window open 20 feet away..lol. I can understand it happening when the car is off and things are cooling...but while its running? And for a quite a while after its shut off? Cats running extra hot?

I'm writing this 15 minutes after shutting the car off and I can still hear it every few minutes...like someone hitting the exhaust pipe with a screwdriver.:scratchhead:

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Ah, so you are just talking about that sound of expanding or contracting metal? (...not that I have any contribution to the topic...I just was curious what this "exhaust ting" thing was)

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, so you are just talking about that sound of expanding or contracting metal?
Yep... I get that part. Had lots of cars where I've driven them hard and shut them off to hear that sound...but never while its running and over the sound of the exhaust and radio. Could be just whatever the glasspacks are made of causing it. No big deal...just curious :)

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
I get big "tings" with my stock exhaust on my 392.. and it tings for a long time!

I should name it.. Sum Ting Wong! :p

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
I had blastin bobs reso delete on my car and did not get that noise. Maybe it is the reso's

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have the BB Glasspacks and mine did that too for a while but after having them on for a while it stopped. Maybe just a break in period?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Mine were very loud after when I shut it off at first, it faded away to almost nothing after a few weeks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
So I had Flowmaster 10s put on last fall with factory resonators. Virtually no sound difference except the signature Flowmaster sound. Just added Blastin Bobs glasspacks a couple of days ago in place of resonators to actually get some sound.

You know when you get that exhaust "ting" after you shut off the car?...yeah... I get extra loud tings with my current setup...car off or while driving or idling. Weirdest thing. It didn't happen until the glasspacks. I can hear it in a quiet house with the window open 20 feet away..lol. I can understand it happening when the car is off and things are cooling...but while its running? And for a quite a while after its shut off? Cats running extra hot?

I'm writing this 15 minutes after shutting the car off and I can still hear it every few minutes...like someone hitting the exhaust pipe with a screwdriver.:scratchhead:
Dave – it’s the metal expanding and contracting from temperature variations. Even when the car is running you’ll get temperature fluctuations causing the sound. If it continues being excessive after a few more days of heat cycling, you should talk to the shop that installed the resonators.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As per Allied Muffler

"Hi Dave, there is an expansion joint inside the glasspack, when they are really tight it will be loud like that until it wears more. It will take some time if you only drive it around town, less time if you get it real hot on a longer trip."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts