Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, so I was trying to compare cat-back exhausts for my 2018 SXT Plus. I was trying to compare between the Solo's, American Thunder, Borla Type-S. I was looking for just slightly deeper tone at idle, and just not too loud. Too loud being I can be heard around the block or setting off alarms. I was trying to compare with YouTube videos and reviews from this forum but couldn't find enough info. So my questions were:

1. Is the American Thunder good for what I am looking for, some comments were that it was too tame.

2. The solo's I liked, but at WOT it sounded too ricey for me.

3. Borla Type-S, only thing holding me back is that it just seems way too loud.

Sorry for the long post was just looking for some comparisons and recommendations, tying to get it right the first time.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,635 Posts
Can't speak for the others, but Solo sounds great at WOT. These aren't great. recorded from iPad with windows open on some 0-60 runs. WOT in a tunnel, sounds Indy car-ish :) And no drone, a very important issue, since most driving isn't WOT.

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 Challenger RT Shaker
151 Posts
I have Corsa Extreme, but it sounds too quiet like I would expect the Sport to sound (maybe they sent me the Sport instead). I really would like to hear something with a little more roar and deeper idle. I had Zoomers on my '12 Charger and I loved them. May sell these and go back to them. Or thinking of Magnaflow or Black Widow mufflers...

·
Registered
156 Posts
New to the forum, so I was trying to compare cat-back exhausts for my 2018 SXT Plus. I was trying to compare between the Solo's, American Thunder, Borla Type-S. I was looking for just slightly deeper tone at idle, and just not too loud. Too loud being I can be heard around the block or setting off alarms. I was trying to compare with YouTube videos and reviews from this forum but couldn't find enough info. So my questions were:

1. Is the American Thunder good for what I am looking for, some comments were that it was too tame.

Sorry for the long post was just looking for some comparisons and recommendations, tying to get it right the first time.

I have the same problem . AGuy's sounds great but other videos do sound raspy.
I've listened to sooo many videos over the past 6 months I'm sick of it.
What sounds good one day doesn't sound so great the next. :headbang:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been stalking the board and looking at videos for about a month now, I gave myself until this weekend to make a choice.I am between the Borla and the FM AMT. I'm leaning towards the Borla S type, just wondering how loud it really is. The seller on Amazon says no refunds once I install it on so kinds SOL if I don't like it.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus
49 Posts
I assume you've checked out all the YouTube videos on the sounds of the various brands, right? They ALL seem to have them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe you have the wrong models for the borla s and atak, but I did have a question as far as what is your return policy and would you guys happen to do military discounts?
@kanga573 - What is the ALL you are referring to by the way?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,635 Posts
Those videos are V8's. If that exhaust will give me that sound on a V6, I'll buy them :)

A Guy

Reactions: MrMac and sdr2711

·
Registered
SXT Plus
204 Posts
But like A.Guy said, they need to show them on a V6 and none ever address the drone (which to many is important).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I've seen the all the videos on youtube, on the v6 for the borla, AMT and solo. It is just hard to gauge how loud they actually are due to them being on a video.
Here is a video of the Solo's with "regular" driving
, I wanted to see the Borla S.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,635 Posts
You've seen these?

A Guy

Reactions: pdqGT and metalhead

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,635 Posts
It's not loud enough for you to worry about it. Cold start your neighbor would know you started your car, it very quickly quiets down. Idle and driving you hear it, but it's not like a V8 where you have the constant rumble. WOT is really where it impresses. For me it all about stock, you hear nothing unless you get on it. With the Solo you get a nice exhaust sound. Yes if you get on it a bit leaving a stop sign or light, you hear it, but it won't make anyone turn their head, lol. A Guy

·
Registered
8 Posts

Also new to the forum. Just wanted to give you my experience with Borla. I have a 2014 5.7 auto V8 and decided to upgrade from factory exhaust. After listening to countless videos on YouTube, I decided to go with Borla Touring exhaust. I really liked the low rumble sound and Borla's claim of NO drone. Well, unfortunately their claim is B.S. At 1800 to 2200 RPM's it has a terrible drone. At normal cruising, 60 mph it still drones a little but is tolerable. If my car were a daily driver I probably would reinstall the factory exhaust.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@BluebirdKy1960 Thanks for the input, I just ordered the Borla S, hopefully it won't drone. It's a daily driver and I live around the DC area so i live in the 1-2k rpm range. Do you think the drone was more pronounced due to the V8? I though the touring was supposed to be the more mellow out of the three too...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts