Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, proud new owner of a 2013 srt8 for a few months now, my cheeks hurt from smiling so much :grin2:

It's a lovely sounding machine, but more is better right, so i was thinking of some exhaust mods. I haven't been underneath the thing except to change the oil and wasn't paying attention at the time, but was told when i bought it that the previous owner had installed high-flow cats and did a mid-muffler delete. As i said, it sounds great, but i wouldn't mind it being a little louder. currently i get just a touch of drone around 2k rpm, but it's not much. So i thought, i'll get under there and cut out the resonators in the back, if i don't like it i'll step up to a nice aftermarket system.

So i get under there to look yesterday, and the resonators (at the very back by the tips, right?) are gone. straightpiped. i look in the mid-muffler area, and there looks to be some small diameter mufflers welded in (the originals are larger "suitcase" mufflers correct?). trying to get a good look at the cats, but my car is lowered a bit, and it's touch to see much up there on the ground, but it doesn't appear that any cuts/rewelds have been made around the cats.

so i'm wondering, do i still have the stock cats? can anyone point me to a picture of them? would aftermarkets look any different? i was told they were magnaflow cats, but now i'm wondering if he put magnaflow mid-mufflers on it and deleted the resonators and did nothing to the cats.

is there much benefit to putting on high flow cats, either performance or sound-wise?

is there much benefit to removing the mid-mufflers in terms of sound, I've read i think, that deleting the resonators in the back is where the bigger difference is made?

i do plan, once i figure out what i'm doing here, to get a tune, but probably not planning on further performance mods. for now...

any help clarifying any of this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
the stock cats have "Eberspacher" stamped into them, which is the OEM supplier.

They're fairly large diameter, round units that taper at either end where the pipe meets them. On the earlier years (pre '15), the rear O2 installs into the body of the cat.

As they age with use, the cases get a gold color to them. They'll be on the upper end of the headpipe at midway on firewall.

Reactions: msk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the stock cats have "Eberspacher" stamped into them, which is the OEM supplier.

They're fairly large diameter, round units that taper at either end where the pipe meets them. On the earlier years (pre '15), the rear O2 installs into the body of the cat.

As they age with use, the cases get a gold color to them. They'll be on the upper end of the headpipe at midway on firewall.
Awesome, thanks! that ought to be enough info for me to figure out that question next time i'm under there.

Anyone have any thoughts on weather hi flow cats or mid muffler delete (even though it apparently has aftermarkets welded in) gain me anything in sound or (obviously minimal) horsepower?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,680 Posts
If they were catted midpipes, you won't notice any welds/alterations. The pipes will be smooth, mandrel bent

mag300295.jpg

A Guy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they were catted midpipes, you won't notice any welds/alterations. The pipes will be smooth, mandrel bent

View attachment 847777

A Guy
Huh. I didn't realize that was an option. I've definitely got cats in the stock location, tapered ends, gold patina to them. in the mid section I'm thinking he put in high flow mufflers (not high flow cats as he claimed). they're cylindrical with flat ends, not much bigger around than the midpipes.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
A Guy's image isn't the OEM cats. Chrysler doesn't have flanges on the cases:

I've attached examples of the OEM versions.

the mufflers (mid section, just ahead of rear axle) the styles changed over the years.
-'08-'10 cars used "suitcase" on automatics
-'09+ models used "bullet" resonators
-'11+ changed from bullet to a small diameter cylindrical mufflers
~'14 or so, some applications had a "turbo" style flat oval case muffler in some instances

OEM cat/ midpipe - bullet resonator (in mid section) - ends are the rear resonators

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A Guy's image isn't the OEM cats. Chrysler doesn't have flanges on the cases:

I've attached examples of the OEM versions.

the mufflers (mid section, just ahead of rear axle) the styles changed over the years.
-'08-'10 cars used "suitcase" on automatics
-'09+ models used "bullet" resonators
-'11+ changed from bullet to a small diameter cylindrical mufflers
~'14 or so, some applications had a "turbo" style flat oval case muffler in some instances

OEM cat/ midpipe - bullet resonator (in mid section) - ends are the rear resonators
right, no I've got cats up at the front after the header, which after seeing some images, i think are stock. I've got to get the thing up on a lift so i can see exactly what I've got, hard to see when your head wont fit under the car. All i can see for sure is that there's no muffler/resonator at the very back by the tips. Thanks for the help getting this all figured out, apparently the guy i bought it from told me all wrong. hard to know what to change when i don't know what i have.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,680 Posts
The picture I posted was the Magnaflow high flow catted mids. A Guy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
let me try this with some pictures. they're not great, but hopefully you can see what's going on. first one shows the tip and immediately in front, where resonators have been deleted, Correct?

second picture shows the mid area, i wouldn't know what the stock muffler looks like, but i wouldn't think that's factory welding, so i'm assuming these are aftermarket mufflers? i was told he put high flow magnaflow cats on, but maybe he put magnaflow mid mufflers on?

third pic is one of the cats, which look to be stock based on what I've learned so far.

that all sound right?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
let me try this with some pictures. they're not great, but hopefully you can see what's going on. first one shows the tip and immediately in front, where resonators have been deleted, Correct?

second picture shows the mid area, i wouldn't know what the stock muffler looks like, but i wouldn't think that's factory welding, so i'm assuming these are aftermarket mufflers? i was told he put high flow magnaflow cats on, but maybe he put magnaflow mid mufflers on?

third pic is one of the cats, which look to be stock based on what I've learned so far.

that all sound right?
Those certainly look like stock cats

the mids - looks like an aftermarket resonator (the '13+ cars started to have units that looked similar) - the welds don't look as finished as OEM would be...so that makes me suspect these are aftermarket.

and the rear resonators have been deleted with the straight pipe.

Its common to see a straight-through resonator installed like yours has to get more volume, yet not be too raspy or loud.

Straight pipes (with only cats) are really loud on these cars when you get on it and you'd get a lot of drone at cruise speeds.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,680 Posts
I agree. Looks like the muffler, they cut the flange and some pipe off right side, and welded in new mufflers, same on left but no flange to reuse of course. Don't look like magnaflow mufflers though. There's writing/numbers on the passenger side in picture, if you can get a picture of that, would likely tell the story. A Guy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree. Looks like the muffler, they cut the flange and some pipe off right side, and welded in new mufflers, same on left but no flange to reuse of course. Don't look like magnaflow mufflers though. There's writing/numbers on the passenger side in picture, if you can get a picture of that, would likely tell the story. A Guy
awesome. thanks everyone! i hadn't looked close enough to see the markings. i'll see if i can get a better look at that. appreciate the help. hard to know what changes to make when you don't know what you have.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts