Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I know there are hundreds of exhausts posts on here, but I haven't quite found what I'm looking for.

So my question is, what is the real difference between something like the cat-back Flowmaster American Thunder system and stock exhaust for a 2011 R/T with the super track pack (if that makes a dif, link to another thread below)

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f37/super-track-pack-underside-photos-66167/

I know sound is different, because of either resonator delete and/or mufflers, but in the piping itself, is there anything new? Is it worth it to get a cat-back or just change the mufflers? By worth it, I mean either a good HP gain or sound improvement. Does buying a complete system eliminate the need to do some sort of modifications/welding if you remove the resonators?

As far as actual sound:

I've been trying to do my research the best as possible online, but as far as drone/sound it is so hard to tell based on youtube videos. Also, if someone owns a particular style, I'm sure it sounds 10x better than stock, but I'm curious how they sound vs each other.

For instance, has anyone been in a car with super 44s vs super 40s vs stock? Maybe some with/without reso? I don't want to have the loudest exhaust around (but certainly more than what stock offers), but want to avoid as much drone as possible. Since everyone's idea of "loud" and "good" is different, for those who have heard the following three personally, how would you compare them to each other. From 1-10, if a stock scores a 2, super 40s a 5 and 44s a 7? Something comparable like that?

Was thinking super 44s for the deepest tone, and some sort of new resonators to keep the cabin noise down a bit? If the mufflers are changed, are the stock resonators worth keeping, or is that the garbage part that makes the stock exhaust so quiet? This is the part people are using glasspacks, correct?

Sorry in advance for the 50th exhaust question today and any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yeah..

Forgot to ask, the mufflers have more of a HP affect than the resonators, since the reso are free flow already? Also, some people are putting on two sets of mufflers one in place of stock and the other where the resos are? These are the things that are confusing me a bit here.

Also, having these installed certainly influences what I go with overall, since I won't be doing it myself. So maybe a full cat-back is more expensive if you can do your own welding, but not the case if you need to have it done?

As of right now I'm thinking:

Either Dynomax Ultra flo or super 44s up front

and

Blastin Bob's Fat Pipes out the back?

Better sound and maybe 10-15 extra hp? Does that require much work in addition to taking old parts off and "bolting" new ones on? Hoping for around $600-700 pieced, shipped, and installed.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
i've gotg an 09 auto. i went with the full catback flowmaster system. part number is in my sig.

super 40 mufflers with no resonators. had to turn off MDS because of the crapppy sound it makes when it goes to 4 cyl mode. but it's a deep, loud and aggressive tone. just like a muscle car like ours should sound.

install was easy. sounds good on idle, 1 through 3rd gears sounds real good. crusing sounds good. WOT sounds even better. does have some drone around crusing speed 60-65 but it's not even that bad. turn the music on and it balances out nicely. i've even driving it for an hr+ with no music when i first got the system install just so i could ilsten to it and it's nice. just my 2 cents. i bought it for 470 bucks with free shipping. i think amazon has it now in the low 400 range. good price if you askme.

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
the Mopar exhaust system are not loud, the Corsa exhaust, cat back, has the sound of a transam series car, but it isnt loud, had several comment that customer wish it had more presence, louder
Luke

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know when I get an exhaust I am going with pypes violators. I had an axle back exhaust on my 4.6L Mustang and loved the way it sounded.

There was a slight drone at 2k rpms but to me, nothing beats the sound especially for the price.

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
the new Mopar exhaust have no drone, the cat back system with rsc, as zero drone, i drive one everyday

Luke

·
Registered
3 Posts
I owned a 2006 R/T charger that I used as a daily driver for 8 years. When I made it my weekend drive I bought the SLP cat back exhaust and loved the sound....as did everyone else but my neighbors...lol. Not much drone above 2000 rpm....but everyone knows your coming!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts