Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by my muffler man today.He quoted me $350 for two 14x3 magnaflows to replace the suitcase and a resonator delete using my oem tips, Anyone have a similar system does it improve power without excessive noise.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Stopped by my muffler man today.He quoted me $350 for two 14x3 magnaflows to replace the suitcase and a resonator delete using my oem tips, Anyone have a similar system does it improve power without excessive noise.
Were the Magnaflows made of the 300 series metal or the cheaper 400 metal? If they are good quality, sounds good to me..

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the same set up only mine is a 6-speed. Replaced the mufflers with Magnaflow and deleted the rear resonators. It was about $400 for mine so I'd say that a pretty good deal. Here's a link to my exhaust vid.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've heard the reason for the suitcase on the automatics is due to the MDS (cylinder deactivation). Without the suitcase, you may get a funky sound when the MDS kicks in at highway speeds. (So I've heard anyway, could be wrong)

·
Registered
197 Posts
WoW..here I had it done for $91.00 per side..Included 2 Magnaflows series 44's and removing resnos and welding tips on. This was on the Charger. Going to remove resnos on the Challenger and put in 8" body Cherry Bombs (12" overall) to kill drone..SRT has the straight thru dual mufflers..so dont need new Muffs!

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
WoW..here I had it done for $91.00 per side..Included 2 Magnaflows series 44's and removing resnos and welding tips on. This was on the Charger. Going to remove resnos on the Challenger and put in 8" body Cherry Bombs (12" overall) to kill drone..SRT has the straight thru dual mufflers..so dont need new Muffs!
The SRT8 Resonators are dam near straight through as well...
(Charger example...)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here is my experience...
I had the suitcase cut out and replaced with two Magnaflows. We chose to leave the resonators alone. It did not alter sound much at all, and did not alter the sound when the MDS kicks in. Car ran better, but still wasn’t what I wanted. Cost $200.

One week later we cut the resonators off and put on short glasspacks. Cost $100. Big difference in sound. Loved the way it sounded at start up, idle, WOT and just in general. However, when the MDS kicks in it had a resonation that I did not like at all.

Two weeks later I cut the glasspacks off and replaced them with very small turbo mufflers. YES, I'm living the dream Baby! Cost $85. Still have a very slight resonation when the MDS kicks in, but it is not noticeable unless you are listening for it, and overall the sound is great.

My total cost was almost $400, but really should have been $300 if I would have skipped the glasspacks and gone straight to the Turbos in the back. Important point: I dealt with a great muffler shop that does custom and race work. The owner was willing to experiment with me on this, and I thought his prices were very good. I originally was planning on buying either a Flowmaster complete kit, or taking the big boy plunge and going with a Corsa complete system. The Flowmaster would have been an economical decision and my muffler guy advised me against it. He said he had done it before and I would have a resonation issue. He also told me to replace my pipes and cross over was just a waste of money. After we finished everything, I did take time one afternoon to deliver a nice 12 pack of very cold Buds to his shop at closing time.

I noticed a significant difference in the way my car runs as well. Much more responsive, and just seems to run so much better. I would guess 10-15 more horses on the exhaust alone. I have since put in a K&N drop in filter, and last night received a Predator Tuner. I can't wait to hook it up this weekend!

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
My thought is just get the solo exhaust and be done with it. It's drone free and kickass. By the time you get said and done with experimenting It will cost the same

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I left the suitcase muffler on and had the muffler shop install the blastn bob resonator delete pipes for a total cost of about $160.00. The sound is excellent but there is a drone at 2000 RPM but I can live with that. When the MDS kicks in it sounds like exactly what it becomes , a 4 cylinder.

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
well when I had my SE I bought a used RT auto system($100) from a guy in Miss. had 2 magnaflow mufflers installed which cost me $150 and a case of beer for the install. I bought my tips from takeoffautoparts for $60.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts