Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi eveyone,
I am brand new to this forum or any forum as that goes. I wanted to know what are the best sounding after market exhaust that I can put on my 2016 SXT Plus? I just don't want a lot of drone.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Reactions: RockanRoll

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! Looks like a nice system. I was also thinking about the Flowmaster 10 series. I did hear that there is a alot of drone wit the 10's though. I also think that the straight pipes are way too loud and kind of tinny sounding which doesn't have that deep healthy sound.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Can't go wrong with Solo Performance. If it's too much drone you can adjust it. I had that on my 13 SXT plus with a CAI. Sounded great, but definitely not a V8 sound.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,782 Posts
Solo and Corsa are the ones that don't drone. How much the others drone, and how much it bothers you is subjective.

A Guy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it seems like a big consensus on solo. I really need to look into these. Does anyone have any thoughts about Flowmaster though?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Did you notice any improved performance with the CAI on your 13 SXT Plus?
Performance wasn't huge. Definitely was a small throttle boost compared to stock, but no improvement in mpg. I can tell you that you'll have a hard time keeping your foot off of the throttle. The growl overall is worth it especially since it doesn't have that ridiculous drone

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yep, these are the most common - both good systems. I have the FM American Thunder and I love it. I had contacted Flowmaster and asked if it adds an HP and they advised 5-6 HP (the FM system uses tuned resonators and 2.5" pipes as opposed to the stock 2.25" pipes). From what I read, 5-6 HP won't be able to be felt. But along with the great sound, I could swear she's slightly faster. I also added the Mopar CAI which isn't supposed to give any power gain, but it slightly added to the sound. I'm now running 5.7's in my 2016 SXT.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you are looking for a deeper growl at idle/low RPM, I would say go for the American Thunder system by Flowmaster. My buddy had one fitted on his SXT and i like the idle but the higher RPM roar sounds a little tone deaf to me. I, personally, chose the Solo Performance Mach X Catback system, and love it. It has a nice cold start sound, quiet idle, and comes alive at higher RPMs. It gives off minimal drone at highway speeds and cruising. Neither system will match to the 5.7, but it will definitely liven up your commute!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I went with the Flowmaster American Thunder in my 2017 SXT Plus. Just right. No drone and nice exhaust note with the CAI. Yes I feel it a bit faster, 0-60....5.8

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went with the Flowmaster American Thunder in my 2017 SXT Plus. Just right. No drone and nice exhaust note with the CAI. Yes I feel it a bit faster, 0-60....5.8
Do you have any videos? I just got my wife a 2017 SXT and she wants to upgrade the exhaust..

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,627 Posts
I am looking at buying the FlowMaster 817737 system.

A few questions...

• Was the OE system able to be removed so it could be reinstalled?
  • Who currently has the best price and delivery?
  • Anyone have any regrets with their purchase?

Thanks!!!!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,782 Posts
The exhaust can be removed whole, but the passenger side only unbolts at the mid pipes, and goes all the way back to the tailpipe. You'd have a very long exhaust to store. I had no intention of keeping the original. Told my guy if he wanted it, he could have it. he said no thanks, only wanted the tips, which I kept. He used a sawzall to cut the passenger side to take it off in pieces.

003.jpg

A Guy

Reactions: sdr2711

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

A few questions...

Thanks!!!!
1. I had mine installed at a muffler shop for $90 - it's a simple hook-up replacement, but it is long if you plan to store it.
2. Compare Jegs vs Summit vs Amazon and see who offers the best sales and shipping prices; also search the model number on frugalmechanic.com. Sometimes FM runs specials. I forgot where I purchased mine from a year ago, but it was on special for about $790. and had free shipping.
3. NO REGRETS AT ALL. I'm sorry I didn't just have the muffler shop keep the OEM system, because there's no way I'd switch it back from the FM American Thunder setup.

https://frugalmechanic.com/auto-part/flowmaster-817737-exhaust-system

·
Registered
169 Posts

A few questions...

Thanks!!!!
I had mine installed at a local muffler shop back in September, cost me about $100, the shop even dropped off the OEM system to me. I had room in my garage so I can keep the stock system if ever needed again. I purchased mine from Amazon for $760 and the system showed up about 3 days later. I have no regrets with this exhaust system and was the exact exhaust note I was looking for in a V6 car, I also have a K&N CAI installed that adds to. Very happy and the car runs and sounds great. My best 0-60 pass has been 5.6.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,627 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies, everyone!!!

I appreciate it a lot. :woot:

I thought it best to ask within this thread as opposed to starting another one.

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I wish I could hear a side by side comparison of the FM and the Borla S. All the youtube videos are done under such different conditions and recording equipment, it's hard to make a real comparison. The Borla is much more expensive, so I'd like to make sure it is worth the extra money...

·
Registered
899 Posts
Can't go wrong with Solo Performance. If it's too much drone you can adjust it. I had that on my 13 SXT plus with a CAI. Sounded great, but definitely not a V8 sound.
I didn't know what you can adjust with Solo. So I looked it up.

Can someone comment if the adjsutments really make a difference, either way? I like that idea where I can make it louder at times, and more quiet at other times. Is it something one can adjust when you want or a adjust once type of thing?

https://solo-performance.com/images/performance-kits/4120/4full.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts