Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok....here we go again. I got an autonatci shaker arriving in a week or 2.... I want to get an exhaust.
1. I do not want drone!!!...it terrifies me.
2. Cost...an issue but not a deal breaker.
3. I want "louder than stock....but not too loud
I am leaning towards corsa extreme....bot its expensive, and seems to almost "whine" at top end. Borla has 3 options....i would consider the middle one. But I have heard drone is an issue with these..please someone. .lead me in the right direction!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I love my Solo exhaust. Fits all 3 of your criteria. Cruising is fairly quiet and WOT is awesome! Just my 2 cents. Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Magnaflow Competition or Zoomers sound the best on these cars IMO. Very throaty muscle car sound, high quality piping, and NO drone. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
What year and model do you have? If it is a 12 or newer, you will have two good flowing mufflers under the car, and good pipes. I would just replace the resonators with two magnaflow mufflers, or get there axle back kit and save a few hundred dollars by not getting a complete cat back system. Then put that saving toward a tuner and other accessories.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Exhaust

DJhemi has it right....Go with Magnaflow street series. I went thru three expensive cat backs until I got it just right. I had Mopar performance exhaust, Corsa Extreme and Zoomers. Unfortunately you won't get the same answers on this one...Corsa Extreme is too quiet unless you are stomping on it (otherwise, not much more rumble than stock)! Zoomers is obnoxious in my opinion only (a lot of people love them). I tried out Magnaflow - hit it perfectly! No drone with either system. Sounds like you would be happy with the street series. The competition series is louder, but not obnoxious either...Again, just my opinion...Good Luck with that...It can get expensive if you aren't satisfied on your first attempt...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
ok....here we go again. I got an autonatci shaker arriving in a week or 2.... I want to get an exhaust.
I am leaning towards corsa extreme....bot its expensive, and seems to almost "whine" at top end. Borla has 3 options....i would consider the middle one. But I have heard drone is an issue with these..please someone. .lead me in the right direction!
Here's some stuff to ponder over while deciding which way to go.

CORSA's No-Drone RSC Technology:A Look Inside Corsa’s Patented RSC Exhaust Technology | StangTV

My 2009 R/T Auto with CORSA Xtreme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaDCSbzhjJs

The difference between t304 and t409 stainless steel
You may wonder why with some stainless steel exhuast systems become rusty after a year, while the others remain in the perfect condition they were in when you bought them. You may also think that it may have something to do with the price and quality because the stainless steel exhuast you bought at a low price are the ones that became rusty right away, while the more expensive stainless steel exhaust are the ones that are still rust-free. Your assumptions are partly true because different stainless steels were used in those cat-back exhaust systems
Generally, regular steel becomes stainless when chromium is added to it. Chromium has an element that allows it to produce a filmy texture. This film serves as a buffer that prevents corrosion and even scratches and cuts. The more chromium is added to steel, the more stainless it becomes. This means that it becomes even more resistant to corrosion or oxidation. The addition of nickel content to the steel also enhances its resistance. Obviously, stainless steel products that turn rusty right away have less chromium content in its material and they are mostly made from t409 stainless steel.
To get your money's worth when buying stainless steel products, you have to know the difference between t304 and t409 stainless steel.
The t304 and t409 are stainless steel production systems. The t304 system is more expensive because it is made to be more durable and it is a higher quality of stainless steel. The t304 system is generally used in equipment that requires more strength and durability like in cars and machines.
Chromium content

The difference between t304 and t409 stainless steel lies in their chromium content. T304 has more chromium component than t409 at 18 to 20 percent. It also has a nickel content of 8 to 10.5 percent. The t409 only has chromium content of 10.50 to 11.75 percent. Its nickel content is only 0.50 percent. The t304 has so much chromium and nickel content and very little ferrous material that magnets will not stick to it.

Getting the right one

Knowing the difference between the t304 and t409 stainless steel will greatly help you when you buy a stainless steel cat-back. The t304 system will not oxidize or rust. However, it can develop a golden color when exposed to high heat over time. The t409 stainless steel has a lot of ferrous material in it and can show surface oxidation after a while, especially when exposed to calcium chloride or salt. However, this can be prevented by applying stainless steel cleanser using a scouring pad.
If you are concerned about long-term appearance, then you should get the t304. If you are more concerned about the price but want something that is fairly durable, then the t409 will work just as well.

304L Stainless Steel

It should also be noted that 304L stainless steel will out perform 304 due to it having a lower carbon content of 0.030% and a higher nickel content of up to 12%.

Also,the maximun continuous temperature rating for 304 type stainless steel is 1650*F(899*C) and for the 409 type it is 1247*F(675*C).

This is why the prices vary considerably between certain exhaust manufacturers.Now,as far as the note(sound) of an exhaust,...well,that's a personal judgement call.I do know that if you do not want drone to be a problem the Corsa Extreme is probably your best bet.However,it will be more expensive than most,but,it is made from the 304L stainless steel.

Element Percentages

304-Carbon 0.08-Maganese 2.0-Phosphorus 0.045-Sulfur 0.03-Silicon-0.750-Chromium 18-20-Nickel 8-10.5-Nitrogen 0.1-Iron Balance 66.5

304L-Carbon 0.03-Maganese 2.0-Phosphorus 0.045-Sulfur 0.030-Silicon 0.75-Chromium 18-20-Nickel 8-12-Nitrogen 0.1-Iron Balance 65.1

409-Carbon 0.08-Maganese 1.0-Phosphorus 0.045-Sulfur 0.03-Silicon 1.0-Chromium 10.5-11.75-Nickel 0.5-Titanium 0.75-Iron Balance 84.9

Exhaust Company Specs.
Flowmaster - 409
Magnaflow - 409
Pypes - 409 & 304
MBRP - 409 & 304
Dynomax - 304
Borla - 304
Gibson - 304
Volant - 304
Corsa - 304L(lower corrosion rate than 304 due to less carbon content)
Flowtech - ?

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow....what great advise 09r/tpony....best over ever read on this subject...i think you may have sold me. Just got a quote from a place here in Richmond Texas... $1800 plus $175 labor....ouch!....but after reading your information, and listening to clip...i may go for it...thx again.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Mr. Double, 2000 bucks for an exhaust is way out of line in my book. You can get the magnaflow axle back kit for under 600.00 and install it yourself in two hours or less. And still have a great exhaust system.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Wow....what great advise 09r/tpony....best over ever read on this subject...i think you may have sold me. Just got a quote from a place here in Richmond Texas... $1800 plus $175 labor....ouch!....but after reading your information, and listening to clip...i may go for it...thx again.
That price is insane. The Corsa is barely louder than the stock exhaust except when you gun it. Totally not worth it IMO. If you want something get something that has a bold sound that you can feel.

Stainless steel 304 is stainless steel. Either way you will probably get rid of the car before the exhaust needs to be replaced. Corsa's doing this for marketing reasons. Most people are fine even with 409. 304 won't surface rust though, so it will look better over time than the 409 steel.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah cost and "is it loud enough" were/are the issues I have with the corsa extreme. However, if you listen to the clip 09rt attached....thats sounds pretty darn good....and plenty loud for me....therein lies why this is such a difficult decision....
trust me, you guys all have forgot more than I know about this issue...so keep the suggestions coming. I suspect I have about 2-3 weeks to make my mind up.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Near the tailpipe there are two enormous canisters. Some argue they are mufflers, some argue they are the resonators. I asked the man at the muffler shop to cut off my resonators and install a piece of straight pipe in their place. He told me they are mufflers.... I said okay please just cut em out.

Sounds great and cost like $150. The BB's resonator delete kit costs more that that and you have to install them yourself. Best $150 I spent on anything ever.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
yeah cost and "is it loud enough" were/are the issues I have with the corsa extreme. However, if you listen to the clip 09rt attached....thats sounds pretty darn good....and plenty loud for me....therein lies why this is such a difficult decision....
trust me, you guys all have forgot more than I know about this issue...so keep the suggestions coming. I suspect I have about 2-3 weeks to make my mind up.
You need to listen to some cars in real life. The audio clips on the internet are not a fair representation of what it really sounds like. Keep in mind that 09rt also has shorty headers. That will alter the way the exhaust sounds compared to the stock manifolds.

Go to the regional forums and make a post wanting to hear it in person first. Wouldn't you want to know FOR SURE, by hearing it in real life before you shell out almost 2,000 clams?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
magnaflow all the way.. great fit.. great sound.. can't go wrong

and if you have excess and tools.. do it yourself and save the bucks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Because sound is VERY subjective.... My advise would be attend a local meet or find an exhaust system you like on you tube and meet up with someone who has that system in your area. Everyone has a sound they like and will give you advise. Flowmaster, Zoomer, MBRP, Corsa, Borla, Magnaflow etc. will all sound different to each person.

I can say from my experience the Borla "S" system has a drone area under normal acceleration (1800-2300 rpm) that caused vibration and a loud drone in my car. But that is my opinion. Some agree.....Some don't...To each his / her own. If your considering Corsa check this out. Corsa has ZERO drone. I have been in several cars with Corsa and none have ever had a drone problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYeIq0ikni8

Good luck in your search!!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Solo Performance.

Adjustable sound inside the cabin using their J pipes. You can pin point how much noise you want to hear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
OP, since you say you don't want drone then you'll want to avoid doing the resonator delete. I did that, there's drone and with headers it's worse. Around town and short drives it's not a problem, but long trips on the freeway is an assault on the ears.

So, after giving it some thought for probably at least a year, I finally pulled the trigger on a Solo Mach-X w/ J-pipes. I spoke with Steve @ Solo last September about the J-pipe system on my R/T 6-speed with headers and he made me feel confident that I would be happy with the system. He also said the J-pipes shouldn't cause a reduction in sound outside the car, maybe 5% reduction tops compared to the non-J-pipe system.

The other good thing about having adjustable J-pipes is that you can tune it after doing mods in case the resonance frequency changes (Headers, hi-flow cats, etc) so that you can tweak the sound frequency/level you get inside.

I really do like the sound of my glass pack resonator delete from OUTSIDE the car, but that's just not enough to put up with the drone anymore. I'll take some before/after video this weekend, though no promises on the sound quality.

Corsa was on my list for a while, but I don't like the sound when you get on it. It's not low and mean, it's rather high like a banshee. Not what I'm after.

The Magnaflow kit was also on my list, but at the end of the day I wanted to make SURE I wasn't going to have drone issues. Some folks will say they don't have drone with the resonator delete. I just don't know how that would be possible.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Here are some price options for the CORSA Xtreme that you may want to consider.

Challenger Corsa Exhaust - Vehicle Parts & Accessories - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at Nextag

Dodge Challenger Exhaust-Challenger Exhaust

2013 Challenger Exhaust Systems Performance Parts and Accessories

2010 Dodge Challenger Exhaust System Kit - AFE, Borla, Corsa at Auto Parts Network

dodge challenger corsa | eBay

Corsa Xtreme Exhaust Systems - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

News: New Corsa Exhaust systems for Chrysler, Dodge LX cars

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/Corsa-Performance-Exhaust/Make/DODGE/Model/CHALLENGER/

Corsa Exhaust - Reviews, Sound Clips & Videos of Corsa Cat Back Performance Exhaust Systems - Corsa Sport & Touring Exhaust

Also,just to clarify the sound clip of the video I posted is VERY accurate to what my car sounds like if you were to hear it for yourself.The recording was done with a pro high end digital camera with a matched stereo pair of top end condenser microphones that I use in my recording studio.They produce a very detailed and accurate sound reproduction when compared to a standard iPhone,iPad or consumer camcorder device.

The shorty headers will of course add somewhat to the note of the exhaust but believe me when I say you are mostly hearing the sound characteristics of the CORSA as I have stood behind Challengers with only the CORSA Xtreme installed.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts