Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2015 Challenger with a 3.6 V6. It has stock exhaust. I haven't done anything with exhaust on a car since the 70s at which time headers and glasspacks were popular. I don't want anything real loud but a nice rumble would be nice and I have no idea where to start. Would love some tips and ideas.

thanks

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Congrats on your '15! Please look around and watch (and LISTEN) some YouTube so you can get an idea of what you like. V6 is a tough engine to get a "Nice rumble" and if you are not careful, you could end up with a Miata sound.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,711 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) IMHO a cat back system designed for the V6 is your best choice. I personally have the Solo Performance Exhaust and I am completely happy with it

A Guy

Reactions: GrayBeard226

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger GT AWD
144 Posts
I have a 21 V6. I got the mid muffler cut off. It sounded a little better, but honestly it isn't much of a difference at all I can hear it idling now, but that's about it. I'm getting the rear res deleted in 2 days, which I'm sure will be way to loud, so I figure optimal is going to be somewhere between straight piped, and adding a glass pack.

Look up "Exhaust addicts" on youtube. They have a ton of video's in different configuration's. They don't get rumbly, they get loud and aggressive sounding.

There is my favorite sounding one. That is with cat's removed, and a custom, oversized straight pipe exhaust. Nice idle sound right? Sound's like a truck's jake brake. I'm sure it is still going to sound like a p'd off honda civic at 6000 rpm though. There's only so much you can do with a V6.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A muffler I've heard (online) that sounds good is called Big Boz.
I think putting 2 in place of the rear resonators, while keeping the mid mufflers, would give you a nice sound without much drone

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys, appreciate the input.
So I got the rear cut off yesterday. So that's a cat, then no mid muffler and no resonator. It is freaking loud man! Sounds aggressive as heck and I love it. There is a fair bit of drone, so I'll need something to put back on.

One thing that I noticed and I absolutely love is that the exhaust crackles and pops now when I'm coasting. Was not expecting that without a tune, but it was a pleasant surprise.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,711 Posts
A high quality shops can make you some J-Pipes, that will kill the drone, but not the sound. Not sure if Solo sells just the tail pipes/J-Pipes...they don't list them separate on their site

A Guy

·
Registered
144 Posts
Now looking at the solo exhaust, it looks to be just straight pipe, with the j pipes, and a muffler replacing the x-pipe. How close does yours sound to a straight pipe? How much does the muffler take out of it? It's very hard to gauge what any of these sound like via video. I'm wondering if just buying the Solo system and leaving out the muffler would kind of give me the quotation mark Best of both worlds quotation mark geez I hate speech to text. You know what I meant.

I'm looking for very loud and aggressive, I was responsible enough to buy the all-wheel drive version, but this is still my midlife crisis. It needs to be loud and angry! I know the borla ATAC is very loud with zero drone, but it comes with three mufflers which kind of puts me off from it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts