Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new exhaust from Solo is due in anytime. I read over the install notes emailed to me by the mfr and am wondering... can I get away with install in my garage with nothing more than a couple ramps? Was thinking I could back the car up on the ramps. I'd keep an eye on the front air dam so It doesn't drag as the nose pitches down while backing up.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Absolutely But. Ramp the front. I think it would be easier. The fit is dead on. Post a review after you test drive it. It is the best exhaust for these cars. Congrats on going solo.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I do not want to contradict but ramp the back. After you pull out the OEM exhaust you will spend most of your time under the rear of the car lining things up so that will be easier with the rear lifted.

Be sure to spray all the hangers with Fantastic, 409, or some type of soap – it will make removal much easier.

On my car I lifted the front using the dolly things that allow you to roll a car around then lifted the back with floor jack and placed jack stands under the lift points. I am probably bigger than you so the 3” lift I got from the dollies under the front tires may not be needed for you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Absolutely But. Ramp the front. I think it would be easier. The fit is dead on. Post a review after you test drive it. It is the best exhaust for these cars. Congrats on going solo.
I hope you're right! Mine is sitting in my living room right now waiting to be installed hopefully this weekend. I have an auto trans R/T and went ahead and got the original version (didn't want to wait for the quieter auto trans-specific model) with the dual tips. I also just bought a Predator so I intend to disable the MDS. Hopefully that should eliminate any drone.

I can't wait to hear this sucker! How much louder than stock would you say it is? A stock auto tranny being, say, a 3 out of 10.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Disabling MDS will definitely sound better.

If you have a jack and stands, ramp the front and jack up the back. The worst part is removing the stock exhaust, especially if you're doing this alone. The more space to work with, the better.

·
Registered
474 Posts
There is a noticeable difference at start up. If the stock system is a 3 on a 1-10 scale at start up the Solo will be a 6. When the car idles down there will be much a deeper sound.

When you take the car out you will notice a nice deep note as you accelerate normally and when you reach cruise you will hardly notice the exhaust. Punch it and you will think, holy cow.

On my car, a 6.1, at idle there is a slight bit of a raspy sound heard if you are standing by the rear of the car. I understand this is common / typical of Hemi engines with after market exhaust. You will not hear that in the car, or at least I do not.

If you are looking for the sound open headers would make then you will be disappointed. However, if you are wanting a nice deep note at idle, noticeable rumble upon acceleration, a cannon shot if you punch it, and virtually no sound at cruise then you will be very satisfied

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Installed it in garage using nothing more than 2 ramps I back up on. Removing old pipes was super easy imo. The rubber hangers popped off relatively easy when using channel locks ... one jaw on rubber and other jaw on hanger peg, then squeeze together, and the rubber hanger pops most of the way off. Soapy water in spray bottle helped. Raining hard core for next few days so will be awhile before I can really romp it on dry pavement. It sounds Great! No drone... just mellow tone. This truly is the way these cars should have come from the factory.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts