Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded up from a 2010 R/T to a 2012 SRT8. I came home yesterday after my wife drove it, to find that it has a horrible exhaust leak from somewhere around the manifolds. She said it sounded as if something metal fell out from under that car while she was driving. Is there a metal gasket or donut that could possibly come out? She did not stop and look to see what fell off, so i have no way of knowing for sure what it was. I couldn't see a loose or missing bolt, and now my car sounds like some kids honda! Please help! Has anyone else had an issue such as this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's going into the dealer Friday, so hopefully they have whatever it needs on hand. Sunday I'm heading to New Mexico with it for a week, and hope it's ready for a 10 hour drive!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I'm sure it will be an easy fix. Can't imagine what could have fallen off other then a bolt on the collector.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking the same thing. I tried to look at as much as I could, but I could not see one, but that doesn't mean it's not there. We even went back to the bank where she heard the sound, and looked to see if we could find what fell off, but no luck. It goes in to David Stanley Dodge Friday morning as soon as they open, so hopefully it will be ready for the long trip coming up! It has now thrown the check engine light, is there anything that I should be worried about, or should I be fine until I can get it in on Friday? I drive it 120 miles a day, and I don't want to risk messing anything up.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
wonder if an o2 sensor may have some how fell out. that would explain the loud exhaust leak and check engine light. really need to know the code to say for sure if it would be a problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will definitely post up with the findings. I honestly did not even think of an o2 sensor falling out, I just figured it might be getting an incorrect reading with a leak. And it is a very loud leak, more than I would expect from a gasket.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it is all stock. One of these days I would love to add long tubes and a Borla Atak, but that will be down the road.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took the car to get the oil changed tonight, and the local dealer told me there is a hole in the manifold, but he says the o2 sensor is still in there. Anybody have an idea what would go next to the o2 sensor? Luckily it's going to David Stanley tomorrow, hopefully they will get it fixed for me!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
SRT Manifolds don't have holes for O2 sensors, or anything like that. R/T manifolds have holes for O2 sensors.

SRT O2 sensors are both in the mid pipes, one before the cat, and one in the cat.
R/T has one in the manifold and one in the cat.

There must be a fabrication flaw with your manifold if it has a hole in it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Which David Stanley are you using? Norman I hope, from my experience they are a lot more professional than the MWC location. Which ever I hope they can find and fix your problem

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found out that the hole was not in the manifold, it was in the mid pipe before the cat. It was modified previous to me, and at one time had a wide band sensor in there which must have fallen out. As soon as they looked up which car I had bought they remembered exactly what went there. They are putting a plug in it to stop the leak. Any particular reason someone would have placed a wide band sensor in that location?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Found out that the hole was not in the manifold, it was in the mid pipe before the cat. It was modified previous to me, and at one time had a wide band sensor in there which must have fallen out. As soon as they looked up which car I had bought they remembered exactly what went there. They are putting a plug in it to stop the leak. Any particular reason someone would have placed a wide band sensor in that location?
>> apparently the previous owner had it tuned, wide band is for air and fuel mixture. I believe it was attached to a gauge..

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Yup, I have the same thing on my 408 in my truck. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
A wide band sensor gos after the cat. Sounds like a chop job by a home mech. Did they say if there was a bung in the hole. Could have been a hole for EGT probe and they removed the probe but did not tighten up the plug.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Huh, wide and o2 bung hole. I'd get a wide and and stick it in.
They probally sprayed a bunch of nitrous through the motor.
Ft

1 - 20 of 26 Posts