Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger R/T
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am currently attempting to install brand new hellcat exhaust manifolds and stainless works catless mid pipes on my 2018 Dodge Challenger R/T. *I also have a Borla atak currently on the car

I am having trouble reaching one of the nuts holding the driverside midpipe to the manifold. It is in such a bad spot lol I can't reach anything to it. I know this whole process is going to be very long hours but most shops are charging more than $1k to install them.

If anyone has already installed or removed their exhaust manifold or mid pipes on their challenger R/Ts, please please help me out here 馃槀

Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
Welcome to the forum. I was able to remove mine when I installed headers just using extensions, a swivel joint and a deep well socket. If the heat shield is in the way just bend it...it's aluminum. Also, I used 12" wheel cribs to give me plenty of clearance to work under the car.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum. I was able to remove mine when I installed headers just using extensions, a swivel joint and a deep well socket. If the heat shield is in the way just bend it...it's aluminum. Also, I used 12" wheel cribs to give me plenty of clearance to work under the car.
thank you! can I ask how long it took you roughly?

Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
thank you! can I ask how long it took you roughly?
Installing headers took a while but removing the mid-pipe bolts was minutes.

The driver side is the easiest but to remove the exhaust manifolds from the engine was a pain. There are stamped steel heat shields that need to be removed. Some say they just crushed them and pulled them out (may be possible on the pre-2013 years as they have a different style engine mount) but I jacked up one side of the engine at a time and removed the engine mount bracket. Makes things way easier. The passenger side is a PITA as there is a very long stud that holds it in place. You really need to lift the engine several inches so the stud will clear the chassis. Took me about 2 days by myself in -10F weather in the garage to install 2" primary SW headers.

Do a search, lots of good info on header install.

Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
wow I guess im just slow lol. Did you remove the exhaust catback to scoot out the midpipe? or just slide it back a few
Once you unbolt the mid-pipes from the manifolds there should be enough play to pull them off. You can remove the x-pipe from the mid-pipes but those slip joints are a pain. I use a propane torch to heat the pipe joint and then wiggle the mid pipe out. But you should be able to just unbolt the hangers and drop the entire system from mid pipe to cat back. Don't forget to disconnect the AES wiring.

Although I can't believe you are getting rid of the 2018 exhaust...that has to be the best stock exhaust note out of all the challenger years.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Once you unbolt the mid-pipes from the manifolds there should be enough play to pull them off. You can remove the x-pipe from the mid-pipes but those slip joints are a pain. I use a propane torch to heat the pipe joint and then wiggle the mid pipe out. But you should be able to just unbolt the hangers and drop the entire system from mid pipe to cat back. Don't forget to disconnect the AES wiring.

Although I can't believe you are getting rid of the 2018 exhaust...that has to be the best stock exhaust note out of all the challenger years.
Thanks so much I appreciate it. And haha I loved the stock exhaust, I put the borla atak catback on a year ago and I just love it. Only reason im really doing this job now is because I got a really good deal on both the catless midpipes and hellcat manifolds

Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
FYI if you live in an emissions state then you will not pass with the catless mid pipes. Tunes will usually shut off rear O2 sensors which will never let the monitors pass. You could try O2 sims like this

but not a 100% fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts