Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of purchasing a new exhaust for my 2010 rt 6 spd. borla exhaust s type looks good, what are the pros and cons of installing this exhaust, do I need a cold air intake? is the drone noise bad. we also have a drive clean program in Ontario for cars 7 years and older, will this effect the result of an emission test and possibly cause it to fail when the car gets older. plan on keeping the car for a while, would be a pain if it fails the emission test at the 7 year mark. any ideas would be helpful. how much of a performance gain will I get, borla says around 10 hp, is that realistic or is it just for sound.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
thinking of purchasing a new exhaust for my 2010 rt 6 spd. borla exhaust s type looks good, what are the pros and cons of installing this exhaust, do I need a cold air intake? is the drone noise bad. we also have a drive clean program in Ontario for cars 7 years and older, will this effect the result of an emission test and possibly cause it to fail when the car gets older. plan on keeping the car for a while, would be a pain if it fails the emission test at the 7 year mark. any ideas would be helpful. how much of a performance gain will I get, borla says around 10 hp, is that realistic or is it just for sound.
The stock exhaust flows just fine, this mod will be purely for sound. Borla's are notorious for drone, so if you are looking to be drone free I would look elsewhere. The stingers (s-type) and the ATAK will both drone. Heck, I had the touring edition and those droned.

An aftermarket catback will not effect emissions whatsoever, don't worry about that. Once you remove the catalytic converters or go with headers then you may fail an emissions test.

If you don't want drone look into Solo (with J pipes), Corsa or Zoomers.

You don't "need" a cold air intake, but on a 2010 a good CAI will give you a small boost in power and an increase in intake noise. I would recommend the AFE Stage II CAI or the Legmaker. Those have been independently tested and proven to add the most HP, as far as short ram intakes go. Fender pull intakes are the best but they are a bit harder to maintain due to the filter location.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
This is an absolute personal choice, much like music !
Personally I hate the Corsa , think the ATAK is the best sound but not real good value.
JMO ....

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Not sure of all this drone folks talk about with the atak. I love mine, wife loves it, no drone. Now I had a sxt challenger with flowmasters, now that was drone.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
My rt with the atak droned but turned off eco mode and it was very tolerable. Flows deff drone. At least the super 10s

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the Borla Attack and Borla long tube headers. I get compliments on the sound every time I take it out. I HIGHLY recommend the Borla exhaust! I have a 2012 R/T.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
i have the borla atk , And I'm looking at getting the long tube headers could you pst a youtube video of your car? And did you get high flow cats installed on your mid pipes, and what state do you live in? i live in CA and emission laws are really strict, so i would have to find a shop that would pass me or change to my stock headers for smog tests

·
Registered
23 Posts
i wanted to get a exhaust that would be LOUD, and got borla atk and it is LOUD. i wanted it to sound like a old muscle car and it does :) so if thats what you want get the ATK

·
Registered
8 Posts
My cats are cut out so I don't a have any. I live in NM and they aren't required in my county to pass emissions. I can post a video using my iPad only not sure if the true sound will come through. With the long tubes no cats and the attack exhaust the car rumbles!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
91 Posts
i have a 2010 ST8... I called up borla and they told me they do not make a ATAK system for 08-10 srt8's only an S-type...
I'm I missing something??? They do have it for R/T cars but not SRT8 thats what the tech guy told me

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just FYI I just sold the Solo system in this video to a guy because he could not stand the Drone of both Borla systems. Solo is loud when you want it to be and quiet when you want it to be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuYGCIHBCFY

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had the Borla "S" system on my 2013 r/t 6 speed. I loved the sound but after I rode around with the windows up under normal driving (when the weather started getting cold) I had a terrible drone / vibration between 1800-2400 rpm's. Borla sent me the "Touring System" mufflers and were much better with virtually no drone. Again, mine is a six speed.

IMO, a system that does not drone on a Challenger will have a resonator, j pipe or something installed to reduce or eliminate the drone in the tail pipes. . Examples are Flowmaster Force II, Solo, Dynomax, and Corsa. Sound is very subjective. Before you spend your money I would suggest you contact a forum member in your area and find out for yourself. After all, you live in the area where are cars are built! What "drones" to some is music to others and vice versa. Auto and manual cars can vary dramatically to some ears as well.

Please keep us posted. Good luck!!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Do some of the members that own the Borla Atak have some videos?

·
Registered
383 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts