Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I was told by dealership that if I make any mods to the exhaust after the catalytic converter, it will not voind the warranty, else it will. So if I add a flowmaster CATBack Exhaust, will it be from after the catalytic converter or it will void the warranty.

Also, if i add a catback exhaust, will I still have active exhaust when I change SRT modes from Street to Track. Do I need to have any additiona tunning for this to make active exhaust after I add the exhaust.

How much horsepower can I expect in gain and which Catback will give me maximum increase in Horsepower?

Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Any cat-back exhaust will not void warranty. They are all after the cats (thus the name "cat-back"). Do some research as to what exhaust you like more and which ones still use the active exhaust or don't. it seems to me that most people delete the active exhaust when the change the system but there may be some that still utilize it, I am not sure on that.

As for power, not much with any exhaust (unless you change things before the cats thus voiding the warranty). Safe bet is 10ish Hp Tq depending on the system (but if tuned possibly more) but I would urge you to pick the exhaust based on the sound you like versus the most power. You will be happier in the long run with a good sounding car versus a terrible sounding car with maybe 2 more hp than the other.

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Any cat-back exhaust will not void warranty. They are all after the cats (thus the name "cat-back"). Do some research as to what exhaust you like more and which ones still use the active exhaust or don't. it seems to me that most people delete the active exhaust when the change the system but there may be some that still utilize it, I am not sure on that.

As for power, not much with any exhaust (unless you change things before the cats thus voiding the warranty). Safe bet is 10ish Hp Tq depending on the system (but if tuned possibly more) but I would urge you to pick the exhaust based on the sound you like versus the most power. You will be happier in the long run with a good sounding car versus a terrible sounding car with maybe 2 more hp than the other.
Right, I totally agree with you. But Can you help me with some names,

All i care about is a good sound, but I do not want to upset the active exhaust. I really like the active exhaust, and how it changes the sound with modes.

Also, if we make changes before the catalytic converter , are we going to voind all and every warranty or just the warranty related to the exhaust. If yes, can you also recommend some of these too that do keep teh active exhaust working as well?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Also how do you think of this product?

https://jet.com/product/detail/34ebc3a754114809a466af351e11dc03?jcmp=pla:ggl:NJ_dur_Cwin_Automotive_Parts_Accessories_a1:Automotive_Parts_Accessories_Automotive_Performance_Parts_Exhaust_Systems_a1:na:PLA_785510866_40918564557_pla-310268120612:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int&c=785510866&is_retargeting=true&clickid=914c8998-a145-49bb-9d48-b5357ddf4876

·
Registered
760 Posts
How much $ do you have to work with?
I am not super familiar with the new SRT style exhaust with the valves in it but from my understanding, the valves are located close to rear differential.

So my 2 cents: Cheapest and best method to tailor fit your exhaust to you, would be to first find out how loud you want your exhaust at idle and on throttle. (Now do some research here because the active exhaust will reduce noise in certain modes and at idle so it may not sound the same as a car without active exhaust)

If you want loud loud but not straight pipe loud: get the rear resonators removed and replaced with just piping, then check out some glasspack style mufflers (cherry bombs are a good one) to replace the factory mid mufflers, the shorter the glasspack the louder it will be and vise versa.

If you want louder than stock but not unbearable: get the resos deleted as said above, then check out Flowmaster super 10 mufflers and replace them in place of your stock mufflers.

FYI: flowmaster mufflers tend to be louder than magnaflow or anthing else out there so those are usually what I stick with.
I don't think the product you linked will work on your car though as it was a dual inlet and outlet and I am almost certain the new SRTs have separate style mufflers (single inlet and outlet but one to each side of the exhaust)

As for before cat mods, I don't know if they will void other warranties other than the exhaust but I am thinking that they would since they will effect other systems of the car other than just the exhaust. If you were still interested, now or down the line, longtube headers would probably net you 15-25 hp tq (and a better exhaust sound) depending on brand and the tune, but if you live in a place with strict emission laws you may not be able to keep those on your car all the time.

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much $ do you have to work with?
I am not super familiar with the new SRT style exhaust with the valves in it but from my understanding, the valves are located close to rear differential.

So my 2 cents: Cheapest and best method to tailor fit your exhaust to you, would be to first find out how loud you want your exhaust at idle and on throttle. (Now do some research here because the active exhaust will reduce noise in certain modes and at idle so it may not sound the same as a car without active exhaust)

If you want loud loud but not straight pipe loud: get the rear resonators removed and replaced with just piping, then check out some glasspack style mufflers (cherry bombs are a good one) to replace the factory mid mufflers, the shorter the glasspack the louder it will be and vise versa.

If you want louder than stock but not unbearable: get the resos deleted as said above, then check out Flowmaster super 10 mufflers and replace them in place of your stock mufflers.

FYI: flowmaster mufflers tend to be louder than magnaflow or anthing else out there so those are usually what I stick with.
I don't think the product you linked will work on your car though as it was a dual inlet and outlet and I am almost certain the new SRTs have separate style mufflers (single inlet and outlet but one to each side of the exhaust)

As for before cat mods, I don't know if they will void other warranties other than the exhaust but I am thinking that they would since they will effect other systems of the car other than just the exhaust. If you were still interested, now or down the line, longtube headers would probably net you 15-25 hp tq (and a better exhaust sound) depending on brand and the tune, but if you live in a place with strict emission laws you may not be able to keep those on your car all the time.

Thanks a ton for the detailed explanation.

Now here is what I am looking for when it comes to exhaust:

1. HP gain and power boost.
2. CAtTback exhaust system, as in completely changing the exhaust system to a louder exhaust but it should have the active exhaust available and the active exhaust should work when we change modes. Like for eco kmode, it should be normal and loudest in track mode.
3. Will longtube headers affect warranty? Or will Straight pipes affect warranty? If yes, I would not do that then.
4. I live in Maryland, so I guess MD, Dc or VA shoul;d not have much problems. I will still do a research on this.

Now reading this what do you recommend me to do?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Exhaust is all about personal preference. I can't do much more than give you some recommendations.

Catbacks
^This link has many of the aftermarket cat-back exhausts systems that are available for your car. They are a good vendor and the one I have used for most everything on my car. Take a look at all of them. Find some youtube videos of the different exhausts and see which one you like the most. Some, if not all, have the ability to retain the active exhaust but some may require cutting and welding.
Straight pipes, as long as you keep the cats in place, will not effect warranty but will be VERY loud to someone who is not use to it. You may easily find it unbearable and may get attention from local law enforcement if you have certain city or state ordinances. That being said, my car is straight piped but is also setup different than the stock exhaust. I love the sound and live in rural AZ so law enforcement is not a big concern.
Longtubes will most likely effect your warranty (void certain systems).
I don't think emissions laws are too strict out where you are so that shouldn't be a huge concern but I am not sure.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Don't waste your money on a cat back . There are Hellcats running in the nines with the same exhaust as you have but with catless midpipes. if they don't need it neither do you. if you want it louder or different sound change the mufflers to dyno max mini bullets . several threads here on the forum telling you what you need to know .

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't waste your money on a cat back . There are Hellcats running in the nines with the same exhaust as you have but with catless midpipes. if they don't need it neither do you. if you want it louder or different sound change the mufflers to dyno max mini bullets . several threads here on the forum telling you what you need to know .

So why did they make it catless midpipes? Do they have any advantage with it in terms of performance?

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exhaust is all about personal preference. I can't do much more than give you some recommendations.

Catbacks
^This link has many of the aftermarket cat-back exhausts systems that are available for your car. They are a good vendor and the one I have used for most everything on my car. Take a look at all of them. Find some youtube videos of the different exhausts and see which one you like the most. Some, if not all, have the ability to retain the active exhaust but some may require cutting and welding.
Straight pipes, as long as you keep the cats in place, will not effect warranty but will be VERY loud to someone who is not use to it. You may easily find it unbearable and may get attention from local law enforcement if you have certain city or state ordinances. That being said, my car is straight piped but is also setup different than the stock exhaust. I love the sound and live in rural AZ so law enforcement is not a big concern.
Longtubes will most likely effect your warranty (void certain systems).
I don't think emissions laws are too strict out where you are so that shouldn't be a huge concern but I am not sure.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. This is great to read and been great help to me to understand it from the scratch. Here are my points:

Some, if not all, have the ability to retain the active exhaust but some may require cutting and welding.
I just want a couple of exhaust systems that can retain the active exhaust. I could not find one and I really do not want to end up buying the wrong one. Also in youtube videos they do not tell us or show us the active exhaust support systems. They just show the exhaust sound. However, if you have some knowledge on the active exhaust catback exhaust, it would be of great help. Just a couple would do.

Straight pipes, as long as you keep the cats in place, will not effect warranty but will be VERY loud to someone who is not use to it. You may easily find it unbearable and may get attention from local law enforcement if you have certain city or state ordinances. That being said, my car is straight piped but is also setup different than the stock exhaust.
Are you sure if we make it straight piped, after the cats, it would not affect warranty? So how about this, straight piped and then add a muffler to it in order to reduce the sound. Even if we dont, would it be a problem in Washington DC? How did you set your exhaustr and kept the active exhaust in your car with those straight pipes?

Lastly, what would be the difference for longtune headers and straight pipe? Which part wil be mostly affected with longtube headers and void warranty?

Any help is highly appreciated:)

Alien.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
981 Posts
Are you sure if we make it straight piped, after the cats, it would not affect warranty? So how about this, straight piped and then add a muffler to it in order to reduce the sound. Even if we dont, would it be a problem in Washington DC? How did you set your exhaustr and kept the active exhaust in your car with those straight pipes?

Lastly, what would be the difference for longtune headers and straight pipe? Which part wil be mostly affected with longtube headers and void warranty?

Straight pipe after the cats will not void your warranty. As far as catlike mids... doing that mod is to increase power. However, that "could" void your warranty, plus you may not pass emissions if you have vehicle inspections in your state. Also, straight pipes doesn't mean the will be literally straight. It means that the mufflers and the resonators would be removed. Thus just straight pipes. If you straight piped and then added a muffler you haven't done anything other than remove your resonators, which are the two muffler looking items right before the tips come out at the back. As far as knowing the local laws in D.C., that is something you could probably research via the Google.

Long tubes will give you power gains and change the exhaust note some and perhaps make it a little louder. However there is more involved in installing them... a bigger pain in the butt. Plus a dealership would say that they have voided your warranty. Typically doing a mod like this would void anything that it could affect. As far as telling what exactly that may be, it would be anything that the exhaust could affect. That is the way a dealership would look at it. For example bad exhaust valves in the engine....well they deal with the exhaust and since you did this or that to your exhaust it may be the cause. It would all depend on the dealership in my opinion.

Overall, what do you really want. I know you have stated it a few times, but you really need to decide.

1. Better sound? (Then change the exhaust, but doesn't necessarily have to be the whole thing from the cats back. You could just remove the resonators or you could do that and change the muffler as well and keep your existing piping.)

2. Power? (Cat backs won't do much in this department, so like the previous guy said. Base it off of the sound and not power. You would have to do headers and get a tune to get real power gains from and exhaust mod.

Signing off from somewhere in the Universe...

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Straight pipe after the cats will not void your warranty. As far as catlike mids... doing that mod is to increase power. However, that "could" void your warranty, plus you may not pass emissions if you have vehicle inspections in your state. Also, straight pipes doesn't mean the will be literally straight. It means that the mufflers and the resonators would be removed. Thus just straight pipes. If you straight piped and then added a muffler you haven't done anything other than remove your resonators, which are the two muffler looking items right before the tips come out at the back. As far as knowing the local laws in D.C., that is something you could probably research via the Google.

Long tubes will give you power gains and change the exhaust note some and perhaps make it a little louder. However there is more involved in installing them... a bigger pain in the butt. Plus a dealership would say that they have voided your warranty. Typically doing a mod like this would void anything that it could affect. As far as telling what exactly that may be, it would be anything that the exhaust could affect. That is the way a dealership would look at it. For example bad exhaust valves in the engine....well they deal with the exhaust and since you did this or that to your exhaust it may be the cause. It would all depend on the dealership in my opinion.

Overall, what do you really want. I know you have stated it a few times, but you really need to decide.

1. Better sound? (Then change the exhaust, but doesn't necessarily have to be the whole thing from the cats back. You could just remove the resonators or you could do that and change the muffler as well and keep your existing piping.)

2. Power? (Cat backs won't do much in this department, so like the previous guy said. Base it off of the sound and not power. You would have to do headers and get a tune to get real power gains from and exhaust mod.

Signing off from somewhere in the Universe...
Thanks a ton. i highly appreciate your time.

From what I understood,

Straightpipe is removing the resonators and muffs, I would not like to do that. Adding Catback would also not add power.
Long tube headers and tuning would definitely help to add few more HP to the whip, however that would come at the cost of voiding warranty. I wanted to do this, but not at the expense of losing warranty right at this moment. My car just has 2500 miles in it. I guess I would wait for 36,000 miles and then add the longtube headers and a tune:)

For now catch can, 305s rear tires, wheels, splitter, would be fine to not void warranty and add little quicker time to it.

Please let me know if I am wrong.

·
Registered
635 Posts
There will be 0 horsepower gain from any catback.

The exhaust WILL get louder as you put more miles on. At 2500 miles you have a ways to go.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,021 Posts
In your state, the visual inspection portion of the emissions test they can fail you for any modification of the cats forward. There are emissions legal long tube headers for 2016, not sure if any certified for 2017 yet. Long tube headers will relocate the cats, that too can fail visual. I say may because it depends on how thorough the shop is on the visual. Some may do a perfunctory inspection, and do the OBD II test. If you have no CELs or other error, you pass.

OBDII AND EMISSIONS TESTING

If you get a cat back you will pass. As stated, don't get one if you are expecting significant HP gains, get one for best sound.

A Guy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts