Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
'13 Dodge Challenger SXT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, all!
I recently purchased a Solo Cyclone exhaust system for my Challenger 3.6l, and I LOVE the volume and the sound. It's everything I've wanted in this car. I currently live in Arizona where they don't enforce any kind of vehicle noise ordinance, however I plan to move to Florida soon which after reading their laws, I've come to find out that most vehicles need to be under 76db and you can't modify their exhaust to be louder. For my fellow Challenger fans, are these laws generally enforced and if so, what's the penalty for a ticket? Thank you!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm running Flowmaster Super 10s with stock bottle mufflers, its loud and I drive next to police and they don't even give me a second look...:cool:

·
Registered
'13 Dodge Challenger SXT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm running Flowmaster Super 10s with stock bottle mufflers, its loud and I drive next to police and they don't even give me a second look...:cool:
What state is that in? I'm sure that sounds pretty killer!

·
Registered
'13 Dodge Challenger SXT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That gives me some hope, then!! Do you have any clips?!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Na, but you can go on you tube. They have a couple of clips with my setup..Solo is supposed to be the loudest though...

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
76 db???? I bet you could get a factory stock Grand Caravan to fail that. What idiots come up with this stuff?

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts

·
Registered
'13 Dodge Challenger SXT
33 Posts
Na, but you can go on you tube. They have a couple of clips with my setup..Solo is supposed to be the loudest though...
Solo and Borla are, I believe. Which is good and bad!

76 db???? I bet you could get a factory stock Grand Caravan to fail that. What idiots come up with this stuff?
That's insanely low. At least California has 95db!

Electric Cutouts, quiet when you want, loud when you want.
Wouldn't that only help if I installed it on more of a stock exhaust system?

·
Registered
19’ Granite Scat Pack
81 Posts
Question, do local LE actually pull vehicles over and use a decibel meter to see how loud your exhaust is?

·
Registered
19’ Granite Scat Pack
81 Posts
I’m 15 years on and have never used a decibel meter. Course our law doesn’t read “decibel level”. It just seemed a little petty, especially considering we are talking muscle cars here. It’s like saying a Harley Davidson should be quiet, that’s just wrong. ;)

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts
I'm retired police from NY, in 20 years I never used a decimal meter. State troopers at weigh station might...
Having run commercially for over five years now.....I can personally vouch that the DOT and MC numbers on my 2018 RAM 4500 may as well be a bullseye instead. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: frogman

·
Registered
65 Posts
I’m 15 years on and have never used a decibel meter. Course our law doesn’t read “decibel level”. It just seemed a little petty, especially considering we are talking muscle cars here. It’s like saying a Harley Davidson should be quiet, that’s just wrong. ;)
Be safe brother, some agency's are petty like that. A couple of years ago a lawmaker in NY wanted to check the decibel level of your motorcycle when you inspected it. And record the result by etching it on your pipes. Needless to say it never passed....

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,429 Posts
Many cities will have an ordinance that disallows another vehicle from being loud enough to be heard from 50 ft away or something similar to that. It’s not necessarily specific to exhaust, just the car in general. So exhaust, sound system, etc. could all run you afoul of the ordinance if sufficiently loud.

In my experience, these types of laws are only enforced when a local LEO has set his mind on stopping you and you’re not breaking any other laws.

But even then, just make sure you are legal otherwise (insurance, home address, etc.), use ‘yes sir’/‘no sir’ liberally, and you’ll likey drive away with out a citation for violating the local noise ordinance.

Reactions: Phobos and frogman
1 - 20 of 27 Posts