Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 13 rt stp car. Was going to just do the reso delete and leave it alone. My question is, are there any proven going with doing a catback? I've been reading good things about the sound of the solo x but not much on performance.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I have a 13 rt stp car. Was going to just do the reso delete and leave it alone. My question is, are there any proven going with doing a catback? I've been reading good things about the sound of the solo x but not much on performance.
If you get others mods and then get a custom tune you may be able to squeeze 10hp at the most. Honestly, most people get them because they are sound mod, meaning people just want a deeper, louder and throatier sound.

Solo Mach X is one of the more popular catbacks here that people seem to like. If you want louder and more aggressive than are other options.

If you do the resonator delete you will get drone, which is not a good thing. I would save up for a quality catback and be done with it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you get others mods and then get a custom tune you may be able to squeeze 10hp at the most. Honestly, most people get them because they are sound mod, meaning people just want a deeper, louder and throatier sound.

Solo Mach X is one of the more popular catbacks here that people seem to like. If you want louder and more aggressive than are other options.

If you do the resonator delete you will get drone, which is not a good thing. I would save up for a quality catback and be done with it.
What are some of the better options that don't cause drone. Solo and corsa? I would want a nice deep tone. Sorry this is my second v8. My first was a f150 with the 5.0 lol. So i know more about imports then muscle cars.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
And weekend toy, or daily driver?

I had a Borla ATAK on my automatic daily driver, it had shocking amounts of drone in the 1,900-2,400 RPM range. Some of the guys with weekend toys with a manual transmission claim it sounds great.

Some guys claim the reso delete is a path to drone city, others claim it sounds great.

It is hard to be sure unless you can hear in person a system on a car.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Oh sorry forgot that. 6 speed
Solo doesn't drone if you use the adjustable J-pipes.

MBRP doesn't drone if you use the "cool duals" tuning tubes. This will have a nice aggressive muscle car sound that's not too loud.

Corsa will never drone. Keep in mind this exhaust is barely louder than stock until you gun it, then it screams. Some LOVE the sounds, others don't like it. Sound is totally subjective.

Zoomers has not drone FOR ME. I think the vast majority of people who own these never report any drone. This exhaust is very aggressive with a deep smooth powerful rumble. I've never heard mine drone in 2.5 years of owning it.

Magnaflow have a tendency to drone, however a few people say theirs never does.

I have a 6 speed as well.

I think the best advise is to go on the regional subforums and ask someone in your area to hear their exhaust IN PERSON. Sound clips of start up and rev doesn't tell the whole story.

Good luck and spend your well earned coin wisely. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will be a daily. Drone is subject to opinion. I bought the roush exhaust for my 5.0 and loved it. others said it had drone. My favorite part of the roush was it had a nice rumble at idle and sounded mean when you were WOT or have it a little gas. At highway speeds it was quiet

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Solo doesn't drone if you use the adjustable J-pipes.

MBRP doesn't drone if you use the "cool duals" tuning tubes. This will have a nice aggressive muscle car sound that's not too loud.

Corsa will never drone. Keep in mind this exhaust is barely louder than stock until you gun it, then it screams. Some LOVE the sounds, others don't like it. Sound is totally subjective.

Zoomers has not drone FOR ME. I think the vast majority of people who own these never report any drone. This exhaust is very aggressive with a deep smooth powerful rumble. I've never heard mine drone in 2.5 years of owning it.

Magnaflow have a tendency to drone, however a few people say theirs never does.

I have a 6 speed as well.

I think the best advise is to go on the regional subforums and ask someone in your area to hear their exhaust IN PERSON. Sound clips of start up and rev doesn't tell the whole story.

Good luck and spend your well earned coin wisely. :thumbsup:
First off I'm glad you posted. I also live on Omaha :)
I would love to hear your setup. I have read that zoomers causes a flutter. Have you had any issues?

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
First off I'm glad you posted. I also live on Omaha :)
I would love to hear your setup. I have read that zoomers causes a flutter. Have you had any issues?
Haha, imagine that! Sure, we could meet up and I'll take you for a spin.

The only issue I had was that it was installed sloppily the first time by the dealer. Had to take it to the best shop in town and made sure they pounded the HELL out of of each pipe to make sure it was fully inserted into the connecting pipe. No issues at all, VERY VERY happy with the sound.... sounds like a pissed of Adult Lion.

The flutter doesn't bother me, in fact you can only hear it if you are standing directly behind the car. Some don't mind it, some do. Totally a personal preference.

If you get any exhaust installed go to ALL PRO Mufflers and brakes.. best exhaust shop in town, locally owned by Keith Pauly. He does all my exhaust work on my cars over the past 15 years. It's located on 60th and L St.

PM me and we can talk further if you want to hear it sometime.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
BigBallin, There are many threads on this subject already. In a nut shell, your stock exhaust system is very good including the mufflers. But the rear resonators suck, they are the restrictive part of the exhaust. The best thing you can do is replace then with a pair of magnaflow mufflers like a few other members and I did.
And for what it is worth, your stock air box intake system if good also, just use a good filter. You might think about getting a air tube from a 12 and up charger to get rid of the wart on the stock one. This will give you room for a catch can. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
If you get others mods and then get a custom tune you may be able to squeeze 10hp at the most.
I'm offended! :D

Shorty headers (or even SRT8 headers on an R/T), t-stat, cat-back and tune have been dyno-proven to add ~30HP at the wheels on the R/T.

You're not likely to get similar gains out of an SRT8 since they already have shorty headers and the factory 5.7 logs are pretty restrictive.

10HP out of just the cat-back may be wishful thinking, but you never know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts