Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soon I'll be in the market to make my 5.7 growl and I'd like to hear from experience what works best.

Rule No. 1 - Absolutely No Drone
Rule No. 2 - Absolutely No Drone
Rule No. 3 - Leave Cats, and Resonators intact
Rule No. 4 - We do not talk about fight club

I've had nothing but positive things to say about the Corsa catbacks. Have had them in my Mustang and Corvette. I was going to get a set for my new Wrangler and before having to sell a kidney to get them, someone told me about aFe power which was less than half the cost of a Corsa and they sounded great with absolutely no drone.

I would like to get a set of Corsa since I know they are what I'm looking for, but if I can find the same or better at a better cost....I'm all for that.

I like the ease of installation on catbacks because I can do them in my garage, but if it's worth it, I don't mind taking them to a muffler shop to get them installed.

I have to admit that I really like the idea of the cutouts, but I'm a little concerned about two things. One, reliability and two, leaking while fully closed. I'd hat to have to hear an exhaust leak on top of the Hemi tick.

I'd like to hear from you guys to see what's worked best for you, especially those of you with the M6 because I know drone is different between manual and autos.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Corsa is the way to go if you're willing to pay more. You will have more of a higher pitched "tuner/import" tone with the Corsa system though. Any system that has some kind or rear resonator setup will eliminate drone. To save a little money, you can go with the Flowmaster Force II system. I had the Flowmaster American Thunder kit which is the Force II kit without the rear resonators and it had some bad drone at times. The Force II eliminates this. Flowmaster's kits are quality and give a deeper more muscular sound than the Corsa system for less money.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T
13 Posts
I here great things about the Corsa too, but they don't have a system for the '15s yet (I have a '15 RT STP 6-speed)... at least I'm not aware of one. Also, my muffler guy quoted me around $2100 for a corsa system based on early model year challengers. That's in installed, but yikes... seems like a lot.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have Zoomers on mine. Super deep rumble & no drone. I really love it.

I had the Flowmaster American Thunder kit on my 2012 and it droned like crazy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I needed to read this. I have a 2015 Challenger 5.7, 8sp Manual, with a Shaker, and I'm not sure if I want to cover that Hemi tick with an exhaust. I worry it will sound, well, stupid. It's not loud as a stock. It is what it is, a 5.7, and I know what it can do. So sounding some type of way doesn't do much for me. However, with the right advice I could change my mind. Thanks so far.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
I went with the Flowmaster Force II system about a year ago. I had the stock set up since '10, and finally decided to "take the plunge".

Perfect sound to me on my '10. No drone, great on the highway trips with no irritations due to high interior db's, deep idle, and a great WOT tone.

Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I needed to read this. I have a 2015 Challenger 5.7, 8sp Manual, with a Shaker, and I'm not sure if I want to cover that Hemi tick with an exhaust. I worry it will sound, well, stupid. It's not loud as a stock. It is what it is, a 5.7, and I know what it can do. So sounding some type of way doesn't do much for me. However, with the right advice I could change my mind. Thanks so far.

Have you ever bought a brand new Harley? Before you go pick it up, you order a set of mufflers and have them waiting at home. You then go to the dealer and drive home as fast as you can....hopefully, no one heard it. They sound like the Jetsons space car with stock mufflers. It's the same thing with a muscle car. You want to be able to hear it. I do have to admit that this Challenger sounds pretty good stock. To me, once you get on it, it sounds good, but it needs that lower RPM rumble. My Corvette C5 was similar. I ended up installing a set of Corsa catbacks and they sounded great, but not awesome. I think you can only go so loud without drone.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like deleting the resonator or muffler is cheaping out. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to save money every chance I get, but if you end up with any kind of drone, that's cheaping out, IMO. If there was no drone with either one, then it would be the way to go.

Next least expensive thing would be cutouts. I have never had cutouts so I know nothing about them. However, they are not rocket science. I really like the idea of being able to remotely control how loud you want them and then back to stock for long cruises. My only concern is having them leak when fully closed. They all look like the seal is metal to metal and not sure you can hear it especially the older they get.

Muffler kits would be the perfect solution, I think. I think that if my Chally sounded like the Jetsons space car, then I would have already pulled the trigger, but it's good enough for mere mortals. I think if they were about 500 - 600 it would be worth it. I'd hat to spend an arm and a leg on another set of Corsas for just a bit of sound.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would never pay $2000.00 for an exhaust except for maybe one on a Ferrari! Talk about inflation, I'd try some Blastin Bob's reso deletes especially on a 6 speed with no MDS.

·
Premium Member
Dodge Challenger RT Plus
26 Posts
I here great things about the Corsa too, but they don't have a system for the '15s yet (I have a '15 RT STP 6-speed)... at least I'm not aware of one. Also, my muffler guy quoted me around $2100 for a corsa system based on early model year challengers. That's in installed, but yikes... seems like a lot.
That is a lot. The Corsa goes in the $1,500 range. My local shop will install a catback for $125.

·
Premium Member
Dodge Challenger RT Plus
26 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
I know you said you wanted to keep the resonators, but I had Flowmaster 40's and no resos on my 6-speed R/T and it sounded great. I'd love to have the Corsa extreme on my SRT, but I refuse to pay $1500 for 4 mufflers and some pipe.

If you have an auto 5.7 car, resonator-less catbacks will drone like crazy unless you turn MDS off.

That's my .02

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought Corsas were expensive back when I had my Mustang in 2007. I think they were 600 bucks for the set. I just don't understand why they are so expensive for our Challengers. I just can't see spending 1,500 bucks on a set of mufflers for it. I love my Challenger but 1,500 is simply a rip off. That's about 4% of what I paid for the car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had Flowmaster Force 2 on my A5 5.7 and it sounded fine with no drone. Think I got it for $600 something. Deeper tone but wasn't loud enough so I got the American Thunder (used) and no regrets. Had it over a year now with lots of highway miles. I did line my trunk and seat with reflectix because I was worried about drone but I have zero issues. Contemplating making it louder still.

$1000 is too much for a catback, for me anyways, and install can be done on your back in like 2 hours. Hardest part is the hangers by the resonators. Don't pay someone to install that just get a friend to help.

·
Registered
R/T Plus
38 Posts
I posted this in a different thread earlier, but to throw it out there, I spoke to a Corsa rep today who advised their target GA release for the 2015's is first week of August.

I've looked at other options, but like yourself, I worry about drone. Mine's A8 though.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I just ordered the Force II for my shaker car today. Will have it on next week. The seller was KMJ performance. Here's a great tip: if you order it from them via their EBAY listing, they have a make offer button. The system is for sale for $836.10. I did a make offer for $775 shipped and it auto-accepted that! If one of you guys buys it as well, do a make offer for lower than that and see if it auto accepts and we can collectively find out what they will really let them go for. I should have offered $750!!!!!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The difference between t304 and t409 stainless steel

You may wonder why with some stainless steel exhuast systems become rusty after a year, while the others remain in the perfect condition they were in when you bought them. You may also think that it may have something to do with the price and quality because the stainless steel exhuast you bought at a low price are the ones that became rusty right away, while the more expensive stainless steel exhaust are the ones that are still rust-free. Your assumptions are partly true because different stainless steels were used in those cat-back exhaust systems
Generally, regular steel becomes stainless when chromium is added to it. Chromium has an element that allows it to produce a filmy texture. This film serves as a buffer that prevents corrosion and even scratches and cuts. The more chromium is added to steel, the more stainless it becomes. This means that it becomes even more resistant to corrosion or oxidation. The addition of nickel content to the steel also enhances its resistance. Obviously, stainless steel products that turn rusty right away have less chromium content in its material and they are mostly made from t409 stainless steel.
To get your money's worth when buying stainless steel products, you have to know the difference between t304 and t409 stainless steel.
The t304 and t409 are stainless steel production systems. The t304 system is more expensive because it is made to be more durable and it is a higher quality of stainless steel. The t304 system is generally used in equipment that requires more strength and durability like in cars and machines.

Chromium content

The difference between t304 and t409 stainless steel lies in their chromium content. T304 has more chromium component than t409 at 18 to 20 percent. It also has a nickel content of 8 to 10.5 percent. The t409 only has chromium content of 10.50 to 11.75 percent. Its nickel content is only 0.50 percent. The t304 has so much chromium and nickel content and very little ferrous material that magnets will not stick to it.

Getting the right one

Knowing the difference between the t304 and t409 stainless steel will greatly help you when you buy a stainless steel cat-back. The t304 system will not oxidize or rust. However, it can develop a golden color when exposed to high heat over time. The t409 stainless steel has a lot of ferrous material in it and can show surface oxidation after a while, especially when exposed to calcium chloride or salt. However, this can be prevented by applying stainless steel cleanser using a scouring pad.
If you are concerned about long-term appearance, then you should get the t304. If you are more concerned about the price but want something that is fairly durable, then the t409 will work just as well.

304L Stainless Steel

It should also be noted that 304L stainless steel will out perform 304 due to it having a lower carbon content of 0.030% and a higher nickel content of up to 12%.

Also,the maximun continuous temperature rating for 304 type stainless steel is 1650*F(899*C) and for the 409 type it is 1247*F(675*C).

This is why the prices vary considerably between certain exhaust manufacturers.Now,as far as the note(sound) of an exhaust,...well,that's a personal judgement call.I do know that if you do not want drone to be a problem the Corsa Extreme is probably your best bet.However,it will be more expensive than most,but,it is made from the 304L stainless steel.

Element Percentages

304-Carbon 0.08-Maganese 2.0-Phosphorus 0.045-Sulfur 0.03-Silicon-0.750-Chromium 18-20-Nickel 8-10.5-Nitrogen 0.1-Iron Balance 66.5

304L-Carbon 0.03-Maganese 2.0-Phosphorus 0.045-Sulfur 0.030-Silicon 0.75-Chromium 18-20-Nickel 8-12-Nitrogen 0.1-Iron Balance 65.1

409-Carbon 0.08-Maganese 1.0-Phosphorus 0.045-Sulfur 0.03-Silicon 1.0-Chromium 10.5-11.75-Nickel 0.5-Titanium 0.75-Iron Balance 84.9

Exhaust Company Specs.
Flowmaster - 409
Magnaflow - 409
Pypes - 409 & 304
MBRP - 409 & 304
Dynomax - 304
Borla - 304
Gibson - 304
Volant - 304
Corsa - 304L(lower corrosion rate than 304 due to less carbon content)
Flowtech - ?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Thats good info and explains the cost difference going with the flowmasters. I guess they are all over priced when you consider what it really is. These companies are making a fortune!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well said 09/RTPony. I'm a metallurgist so I understand but I think anybody can get what you are saying. I never researched the difference myself but now I don't have to.

To his point my Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust looks awful after two winters lol. It only cost me $100 used though so no biggie if I need to replace it down the line.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Classic
154 Posts
Anyone have an opinion or suggestion on any axle-backs (i.e., just resonator), aside from straight pipe to the tips? I'm not sure I want to invest in an entirely new exhaust - but if I could get a good, non-drone, low-growl sound that's louder than stock, I'd go with it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts