Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got my pipes replaced with 3" straight pipes from the cats on back. It sounds amazing with a tiny tiny bit of drone, with my music on volume 14 I cant even notice it. However I do not like the raspy noise when i get on it, I am researching options for some mufflers and/or resonators I can add without taking away my idle sound. I have heard good things from SLP, and Porters. Considering I only paid $350 for everything so far I cannot complain. I refuse to pay $1500 or more for an exhaust system even if they claim to give me 15 HP. I don't plan on becoming a drag champ anytime soon. Just my opinion, hate it or love it either way its what you like in the end that matters. Your car, your payments.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
"absolutely no drone" = stock.
Agreed,...however it is mostly the disappointing sound of the stock exhaust system that drives many owners to search for an aftermarket alternative with that classic muscle car sound.The exception of course would be the Hellcat which has a beauty of a stock exhaust note and tone!

All models should have a similar stock sound,...C'mon Chrysler,think about it.

·
Premium Member
10,187 Posts
Its always a tough decision on which exhaust to get. I personally love the rumble of the Zoomers exhaust, it will certainly be my first choice for all my future mopars. Its got an awesome deep rumble sound, like an old school muscle car. There are some awesome videos of it on youtube.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ok I got my flowmaster force ii on my rt shaker car a few hours ago.

Install was simple, perfect bends. I did weld my mufflers on.

If are looking for something drastically different than stock this is not the system for you. On startup and idle I can barely tell a difference. Going down the road with windows up I can barely tell a difference. Going down the road with windows down I can definitely hear a difference. It is not obnoxious and there is ZERO drone. My thought is that this is what they should have on them from the factory. I'd say it is about the same as a factory scat pack. I'll know more after I get to actually hear it for myself with my son driving it. If you want louder, go with the next up the American Thunder which is same kit minus resonators so it is a little cheaper too.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Ok I got my flowmaster force ii on my rt shaker car a few hours ago.

Install was simple, perfect bends. I did weld my mufflers on.

If are looking for something drastically different than stock this is not the system for you. On startup and idle I can barely tell a difference. Going down the road with windows up I can barely tell a difference. Going down the road with windows down I can definitely hear a difference. It is not obnoxious and there is ZERO drone. My thought is that this is what they should have on them from the factory. I'd say it is about the same as a factory scat pack. I'll know more after I get to actually hear it for myself with my son driving it. If you want louder, go with the next up the American Thunder which is same kit minus resonators so it is a little cheaper too.
I had the Flowmaster American thunder exhaust on my 2013 RT. I can tell you that having the active exhaust on my Scat Pack is about as loud as the American Thunder cat back was but the active exhaust on the Scat Pack has no drone like the Flowmaster kit had and the active exhaust has more popping (which is cool by the way) when you let off the throttle on hard revs. The Force II is not as loud as the American Thunder kit or the factory Scat Pack/SRT active exhaust. Just some comparative info. MCP

·
Registered
913 Posts
Day 2, fresh start with the Force II. Cold startup it is a little louder than stock as expected but more than I thought when I first got them on but still a relatively mellow system. Best you can hear it is windows down and even more when going down the road with a cement barrier or similar next to you. If you want it a little louder than stock but only outside of the car, Flowmaster suceeded in that.

Here is a quickie vid:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_uJJ2aSJcBE

·
Registered
R/T Plus
38 Posts
Day 2, fresh start with the Force II. Cold startup it is a little louder than stock as expected but more than I thought when I first got them on but still a relatively mellow system. Best you can hear it is windows down and even more when going down the road with a cement barrier or similar next to you. If you want it a little louder than stock but only outside of the car, Flowmaster suceeded in that.

Here is a quickie vid:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_uJJ2aSJcBE
Any drone?

·
Registered
578 Posts
So there is another thread on here that Flowmaster responded to. The Force II use the Super 44 mufflers, and resonators. He said I could get the same sound with just putting Super 44's and leaving stock resonators and it would be louder than the cat-back system because of the X-pipe they use in the system. I'm on the fence about which way to go. The Super 44 sound is definitely the sound I want, just unsure what volume I want.

cerino2000 please give us an update in a couple weeks, I know they should get a little louder with time on them.

·
Registered
913 Posts
So there is another thread on here that Flowmaster responded to. The Force II use the Super 44 mufflers, and resonators. He said I could get the same sound with just putting Super 44's and leaving stock resonators and it would be louder than the cat-back system because of the X-pipe they use in the system. I'm on the fence about which way to go. The Super 44 sound is definitely the sound I want, just unsure what volume I want.

cerino2000 please give us an update in a couple weeks, I know they should get a little louder with time on them.
One thing that I was very surprised about is when I got underneath the car to take off the stock unit, the mufflers look like little ol' cherry bombs or something!! I was teally surprised that the factory exhaust is as quiet as it is with those things which leads me to believe that the factory resonators do most of the quieting. With that in mind I'd have to hear it for myself to believe that the 44's are louder than those little cherry bomb looking things but I don't know what the guts look like.

·
Vendor
974 Posts
We (Solo Performance) make a totally drone free kit as well that sounds awesome, is 100% bolt-on, and causes no CEL. It includes the tunable J pipes to protect against drone when adding future modifications. Check it out in our vendor section. Thanks so much!

They are made of 409 (pipes) and 304 (mufflers and tips) stainless steel, and are super affordable.

Steve

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

Look up videos on resonator delete cars. I seriously doubt the 44 Flowmaster mufflers are louder than the stock bottle mufflers.

·
Registered
578 Posts
One thing that I was very surprised about is when I got underneath the car to take off the stock unit, the mufflers look like little ol' cherry bombs or something!! I was teally surprised that the factory exhaust is as quiet as it is with those things which leads me to believe that the factory resonators do most of the quieting. With that in mind I'd have to hear it for myself to believe that the 44's are louder than those little cherry bomb looking things but I don't know what the guts look like.
the bottle mufflers are on the M6, I have the A8 and it has the oval mufflers. If you look on Flowmasters website you'll see they have bottle mufflers that are quieter than the Super 44's. I'm no expert by any means, just a guy on the internet passing on info from a supporting member.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Saw the video and I must say the sound of the Flowmasters was much better than I expected. You're right, it's louder but not annoying and such a great tone. I might just pop the Super 44's on and leave the resonators and try that for awhile.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Happen to know which model fits our R/T Challengers? A part number? It looks like it's a O/C, but does it have a 2.5" inlet and outlet? Mine is a 5.7L

·
Registered
860 Posts
Subscribed: This might actually be an option for me (just adding super 44's). I removed the center mufflers (2014 5.7 Auto) and kept the stock resonators. Sounds great from inside the car but at WOT is gets embarrassingly tinny sounding. I don't want to lose any sound volume but I do want to get rid of that tinny sound. Don't want to get rid of the resonators and have drone. Been there - done that.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Saw the video and I must say the sound of the Flowmasters was much better than I expected. You're right, it's louder but not annoying and such a great tone. I might just pop the Super 44's on and leave the resonators and try that for awhile.
Pretty sure it is the 2.5 and your exhaust shop could certainly bump any slight cariations on diameter but I don't think leaving the resonators on you will hear much difference.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts