Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all,

My dealer/service shop just recently told me that one of my suitcase mufflers is going bad (at 44K miles -____-), and causing this awful noise during acceleration. It needs to be replaced. I was given a few options, and although this looks to be an ideal opportunity to upgrade to the performance system that I have been wanting, it's just not financially ideal at the moment as I look to close on my first home.

The most cost effective options are to have a shop chop off the mufflers, and either 1) have them replaced with aftermarket mufflers, or 2) delete the mufflers altogether. I know what they both can sound like, and truly like where both options leave me for now, but I have a few questions for the community:

1) Am I running any risks messing the computer system since exhaust pressure should change?
2) Any performance risks overall?
3) Understanding that I may deal with some drone, are there any other cons about my current options that an amateur may not think about?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! I do not pretend to be a mechanic, and I'm letting this stress me out too much. Some guidance by those that know more than me would go a long way!

Thanks!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Are you talking about the ones at the very back, or the ones in the middle?
Although I have heard some arguments on the topic, middle are mufflers, back are resonators.
I have heard cars with both removed, very sloppy and unrefined imo, mid removed sounds great to my ear, back removed sounded okay, but droned like crazy.
If it is not warranty work, And the mids, I have a set of mid mufflers that I could send you for the cost of shipping.

Edit:
They are off of a 2016 RT, though I may still have the miss off of my 2015 sxt too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey BigW...they are the mid-mufflers I'm referring to. For now I won't touch the resonators. I don't think my neighbors will appreciate a straight pipe LOL.

The service shop assured me several times that the work would not be covered under warranty. I still need to verify that with Dodge, but from what I read in the warranty print, it appears to be factual.

I should have specified that I am driving a 2014 R/T, so I am not sure if the mids you're offering would fit? But I seriously appreciate the gesture!

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you find out they do fit and want them, let me know. We take care of our own. Besides the occasional flame wars I love this group!
W

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! Once I get some consensus I may be in touch! I appreciate the support, and glad to be a part of this.

I am moving this thread into the performance talk forum, as it appears there's more traffic in there.

·
Registered
2016 plum crazy purple R/T Scat Pack
1,094 Posts
"suitcase" mufflers were only on the '09 - '10 models. In '11 they went to two individual mufflers. That said, I would ask about warranty. Next would be install aftermarket mufflers or remove the mids depending on the sound you want. DO NOT remove the rear resonators unless you like drone...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Solo Performance X-Pipe cat back….great price, comes with J pipes and no mufflers, no resonators and no drone. Sounds great does not mess anything up on computer, runs like a scalded dog and puts a big smile on your face.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts