Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is no one putting the mufflers at the back in place of the resonators? I am about to have my resonators on my 2017 chopped off and two flowmaster super 10's in place of the resonators and LEAVING the mid mufflers. I have only talked to one guy that has done this and he said it sounds good. So I'm going to try. It's getting done Saturday morning unless someone can give me a good reason this is a bad idea. Thanks. I know.....i know. Another exhaust question. Sorry. :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
I left the mid mufflers alone, removed the resonators and I really liked the difference. I recently added Kooks long tube headers and is now much louder. I wouldn't bother with adding the Super 10's IMO. When I want things to get real I just open up the cutouts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is my daily driver. I don't think I can handle it being that loud. Most guy who removed the resonators said the drone was terrible.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,596 Posts
My first exhaust was blastin bob's (great quality) with the glass packs and I could not tolerate the drone. I am running Corsa extreme without the mid mufflers (zero drone) and it is plenty loud but sometimes I feel it is too raspy. If you remove the resonators and replace with mufflers you will get drone.

https://vimeo.com/235091331

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm confused. You are saying don't replace the resonators with mufflers because I will get drone but you did and you have zero drone?? I'm leaving mid mufflers on as well

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,596 Posts
I'm confused. You are saying don't replace the resonators with mufflers because I will get drone but you did and you have zero drone?? I'm leaving mid mufflers on as well

The blastin bobs replace the resonators (back of the car) with mufflers which created too much drone.

I then upgraded to corsa extreme, where I deleted the mid mufflers but kept their resonators which gives me no drone.

If you delete the mid mufflers on the stock exhaust you get more volume but no drone...plus the cabin gets more silent as there are no mufflers under the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I'm having a hard time following. I thought blasting Bob's was a resonator delete? You say you have resonators on now? Factory or aftermarket? Sorry I'm still confused.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
The Blastin Bob's Fat Pipes replaces the stock resonators and switches to basically a pair of "Cherry Bombs" or straight pipes depending on which model you go with. I have them (Cherry Bomb style Magnaflow Glass Packs) and they are loud and come with some drone. Straight pipes being even louder than glass packs so depends on how much you hate your neighbors :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well my neighbors are my inlaws. Hmmmm. Lol. So you I'll have drone eh? I guy I talked to online said he did it on a 2012 and he said no drone and not to loud. He was a fifty year old guy. He left stock mufflers and put flowmaster on the back in place of resonators.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,596 Posts
Well my neighbors are my inlaws. Hmmmm. Lol. So you I'll have drone eh? I guy I talked to onlineT said he did it on a 2012 and he said no drone and not to loud. He was a fifty year old guy. He left stock mufflers and put flowmaster on the back in place of resonators.
I suggest before you spend money adding mufflers to the exhaust try removing the mid mufflers first with straight pipe. You can cut the mufflers out yourself and using band clamps (~$20 for the ones made by pypes), install straight pipe (4 foot length is ~$30-40) of the same length. Even the BB pipes with the magnaflows generate drone, although I have no experience with this set-up so there might be minimal to no drone as BB site suggests. Hopefully others chime in.

2015,2016,2017,Challenger,charger,300, 5.7L,hemi, Axle-back, resonator, glass packs, rolling thunder, exhaust, blastin bob, flowmaster, borla, corsa,www.resonatordelete.com,www.blastinbob.com,magnaflow

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was kind of hoping by leaving the mid mufflers alone and cutting out rear resonators and installing mufflers there should be minimal drone. There will be four mufflers on there you would think the drone should be not bad. An owner I talked to did this and he said it sounds good.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,596 Posts
@;
I was kind of hoping by leaving the mid mufflers alone and cutting out rear resonators and installing mufflers there should be minimal drone. There will be four mufflers on there you would think the drone should be not bad. An owner I talked to did this and he said it sounds good.
Check the link in my previous post, its basically what you are looking for.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,066 Posts
You have to remember the OP has a V6 as well. The resonators are meant to cancel out the drone frequencies. I imaging it's possible to replace stock resonators with some sort of mufflers to get more sound. But finding the right muffler that increases sound, but doesn't drone is the trick. I don't personally remember reading of anyone who did this. A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,596 Posts
You have to remember the OP has a V6 as well. The resonators are meant to cancel out the drone frequencies. I imaging it's possible to replace stock resonators with some sort of mufflers to get more sound. But finding the right muffler that increases sound, but doesn't drone is the trick. I don't personally remember reading of anyone who did this. A Guy
Ah, good catch. The kit from BB also works with the V6 but the site does state some drone (no drone on the 5.7).

2015,2016,2017,Challenger,charger,300, 5.7L,hemi, Axle-back, resonator, glass packs, rolling thunder, exhaust, blastin bob, flowmaster, borla, corsa,www.resonatordelete.com,www.blastinbob.com,magnaflow

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Drone is extremely minamal only at 1800-1900 rpm. And obviously a little at Wot. All and all I'm pretty damn happy. Sounds good to me. Obviously I have not heard while driving from behind. I want to get my buddy to drive and hear it

1 - 20 of 34 Posts