Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rattle, for lack of a better word. It's coming from the back end, seems to be on the left side. A resonance at low RPM's that sounds like sheet metal grating.

Only happens when hot, not cold. I went underneath when it was warm and shook and rapped on the drivers side pipe and found a flange that was a bit loose. As it cooled down it became tight. I think this flange is the culprit.

It's a 2014 SRT8, with 43,000 miles. Attached is a pic of the flange I took on Saturday.

Anyone having any experience with this ? I highly suspect the spring clamps. I tried to tighten the bolts with a 13mm wrench and they were solid tight, no slack in the bolts.

Any help here will be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I just took my 2016 to the dealer....they said non serviceable and ordered a new exhaust....Mine basically only did it at cold start up...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just took my 2016 to the dealer....they said non serviceable and ordered a new exhaust....Mine basically only did it at cold start up...
Hrrmm. Sounds like it might be something different. I feel like I could just crank down a turn on those spring loaded fasteners I might be good...tempting.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Hrrmm. Sounds like it might be something different. I feel like I could just crank down a turn on those spring loaded fasteners I might be good...tempting.

I snugged up everything I could see myself....but agree may not be the same problem...I think mine derives from the active exhaust somehow.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Long story short, the dealer says both mufflers are ruined and they gave me the same story, non serviceable item, replace everything downstream of the catalytic converters. Shot me an estimate of $2100.

I don't think so.

Going to look into a Magnaflow muffler only replacement.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Long story short, the dealer says both mufflers are ruined and they gave me the same story, non serviceable item, replace everything downstream of the catalytic converters. Shot me an estimate of $2100.

I don't think so.

Going to look into a Magnaflow muffler only replacement.

I was lucky...free and sounds great again....took an hour.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was lucky...free and sounds great again....took an hour.
After spending a lot of time researching this subject, (dealing with the raspy rattle in the mean time) I didn't like any of the aftermarket options because they all will make more noise. I don't want that. I was advised to go OEM if I don't want more noise.

So I did, but I was able to get the OEM parts significantly discounted by buying directly off the Dodge dealer parts website. Made the whole thing more palatable.

The parts got backordered and I waited another noisey month but they are on now and sounding great again.

The parts went to the dealership in will-call and I didn't pay for shipping. The service tech pulled them out of will call and put them on.

Went really well :smile:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts