Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting an exhaust rattle when I crank my challenger up. Happens for only about 2 seconds when what I believe is the valves moving on the active exhaust. While my car sits idle I can rev my car and never hear the rattle. As soon as I move my car and get to about 2k rpm I can hear a metallic rattle again almost similar to a heat shield rattle.The rattle stops after about 2500 rpm. I have about 7k miles on it now was thinking maybe it would go away but hasn't. Anyone else have a similar problem before? Only thing I could think would be the active exhaust but I'm no mechanic haha

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I have a Borla exhaust which had a rattle due to the active exhaust. My exhaust doesn't have the flaps. But it was the cylinder that the spring connects to inside the active exhaust that was rattling. A new pipe design fixed that. So it could be a similar problem on a stock exhaust. You could also check the positioning of the clamps that hold everything together. Some of them can get pretty close to the heat shielding.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the same problem with the stock exhaust!! I don't hear mine on start up at all or when revving it up sitting still. Only under load and like you said around 2k rpm plus or minus and after about 2500 rpm is goes away. I have the 6M and it is super annoying because that is the sweet spot running through the gears where the exhaust note sounds beautiful!! I hear it best in normal mode but I can still hear it in sport mode, its just muted a little because the exhaust is louder I guess. If it was the active exhaust when I put it in sport mode I would think this would make it go away? Cause sport mode opens the exhaust fully? At least that is my understanding? My car is new (2018 T/A 5.7) so when I went back to the dealer to pick up my tags I dropped in the service dept to see if they could help me out. I didn't have an appointment but they drove it an heard the issue and put it on the lift but could not find anything. (only happens under load) I had about 300 miles on it at that point and I have about 900 now and they told me when I bring it in for my free oil change to put this on the appointment and they would look deeper and see if they could find the problem. So if anyone has any insight to help us out it would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have the same problem with the stock exhaust!! I don't hear mine on start up at all or when revving it up sitting still. Only under load and like you said around 2k rpm plus or minus and after about 2500 rpm is goes away. I have the 6M and it is super annoying because that is the sweet spot running through the gears where the exhaust note sounds beautiful!! I hear it best in normal mode but I can still hear it in sport mode, its just muted a little because the exhaust is louder I guess. If it was the active exhaust when I put it in sport mode I would think this would make it go away? Cause sport mode opens the exhaust fully? At least that is my understanding? My car is new (2018 T/A 5.7) so when I went back to the dealer to pick up my tags I dropped in the service dept to see if they could help me out. I didn't have an appointment but they drove it an heard the issue and put it on the lift but could not find anything. (only happens under load) I had about 300 miles on it at that point and I have about 900 now and they told me when I bring it in for my free oil change to put this on the appointment and they would look deeper and see if they could find the problem. So if anyone has any insight to help us out it would be greatly appreciated!!
My T/A has it also. It is annoying when you hit that sweet spot and it rattles. There are other threads on the subject. I haven't done anything with mine yet, it hasn't been in for service yet, but I will mention it when I take it in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My T/A has it also. It is annoying when you hit that sweet spot and it rattles. There are other threads on the subject. I haven't done anything with mine yet, it hasn't been in for service yet, but I will mention it when I take it in.

Mine is the same color as yours! I haven't searched to see if there were any other threads about this, I just took the opportunity to let the OP know he wasn't alone. If you can link us to some of the other threads that would be cool if you know how to find them quickly.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,232 Posts
Mine is the same color as yours! I haven't searched to see if there were any other threads about this, I just took the opportunity to let the OP know he wasn't alone. If you can link us to some of the other threads that would be cool if you know how to find them quickly.
I'm starting to hear a rattle sitting still at idle also. While underneath installing my Spohn Track Bars, I noticed my passenger side exhaust from the resonator back was a little loose; I believe that is what is causing my "rattle" sound. I haven't been back underneath to investigate this specifically, but that's the only thing I can think of; everything else is tight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Honestly sounds like the same problem. When I hit the sport mode it can barely be heard. I'm pretty busy the next 2 weeks and won't have a weekday off but I'm going to take mine in here soon to be be checked. I'll let you know if they find and fix it, if not hopefully yours will and you could help me out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Honestly sounds like the same problem. When I hit the sport mode it can barely be heard. I'm pretty busy the next 2 weeks and won't have a weekday off but I'm going to take mine in here soon to be be checked. I'll let you know if they find and fix it, if not hopefully yours will and you could help me out.
It sounds a lot like the same problem. Like you, I will have a hard time over the next few weeks taking mine in to get it looked at. Part of my problem with that is I don't like the service dept at my local dealer so the one I like going to is a 30 min drive from home. I have read as much as I can about this and it seem related to the active exhaust but if I get mine worked out I will let you know the outcome and if you beat me to it let me know your results. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds a lot like the same problem. Like you, I will have a hard time over the next few weeks taking mine in to get it looked at. Part of my problem with that is I don't like the service dept at my local dealer so the one I like going to is a 30 min drive from home. I have read as much as I can about this and it seem related to the active exhaust but if I get mine worked out I will let you know the outcome and if you beat me to it let me know your results. Thanks!
All right so I took her in to the dealer . The first claimed it to be normal so I said forget it I'm not fighting with a lazy person. The second dealer took it in and heard the noise and they are ordering two actuators for the exhaust will let you know if that fixes it.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger R/T Plus
2 Posts
All right so I took her in to the dealer . The first claimed it to be normal so I said forget it I'm not fighting with a lazy person. The second dealer took it in and heard the noise and they are ordering two actuators for the exhaust will let you know if that fixes it.
What was the result? The mechanics at my dealer just stared at me blankly when, after they assured the heat shields were not the culprits, I said it's likely the active exhaust. If I have more information, maybe they can fix this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What was the result? The mechanics at my dealer just stared at me blankly when, after they assured the heat shields were not the culprits, I said it's likely the active exhaust. If I have more information, maybe they can fix this.
I live in SC near myrtle beach dealing with the hurricane.They had to order the part and haven't gotten it installed yet. I'll be sure to let you know the end result.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It is likely the AE actuator springs are not putting enough pressure on the closed AE flaps. Either one of the springs are broken or the screws that hold the actuators on to the brackets aren't snug enough. I had this problem early on with my new 2018 5.7 A8 (bought 11/17). I pulled the AE fuse to keep the flaps open and it went away (they need power to the actuators to close) . I switched the actuators and springs left to right side as a test, snugged up the screws and the problem remains fixed to this day. I'm not sure if it was swapping the sides or just the reinstallation process that fixed it, but either way worked perfectly! I was getting a rattle around 2K under light load regardless of gear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The rattle is fixed. Replaced both actuators in the exhaust.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2018 R/T Plus 5.7 has it as well. Just as described it happens at low rpm and when load is put on such as accelerating in traffic. It seems to be getting worse. Two trips to two dealers has proved fruitless. First one tried to adjust heat shields...nothing. Second stated on paper it was normal mds noise. Not believing this I contacted Dodge. I have an appointment on March 12th to have it looked at again and hopefully a Dodge rep will be present. I believe it is in the AES and this time I recorded the noise on my phone. Easy to do if you brake-race it at low rpm it becomes very noticeable. I did mine in my garage, but be careful...don't let your foot off the brake!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I'm getting an exhaust rattle when I crank my challenger up. Happens for only about 2 seconds when what I believe is the valves moving on the active exhaust. While my car sits idle I can rev my car and never hear the rattle. As soon as I move my car and get to about 2k rpm I can hear a metallic rattle again almost similar to a heat shield rattle.The rattle stops after about 2500 rpm. I have about 7k miles on it now was thinking maybe it would go away but hasn't. Anyone else have a similar problem before? Only thing I could think would be the active exhaust but I'm no mechanic haha
I've been getting the same noise (rattle/buzz) for a few seconds...i just ordered MFER1 to address this issue when she comes out of winter storage, some guys are saying this mod is the fix for rattles whether it's the spring or valve doing the rattling..WPD has a video on the install, seems easy as to only jack up one side of the car for the install?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Trimec please let me hear from you to see if these correct the problem. I'm thinking of buying just in case.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My 2018 R/T Plus 5.7 has it as well. Just as described it happens at low rpm and when load is put on such as accelerating in traffic. It seems to be getting worse. Two trips to two dealers has proved fruitless. First one tried to adjust heat shields...nothing. Second stated on paper it was normal mds noise. Not believing this I contacted Dodge. I have an appointment on March 12th to have it looked at again and hopefully a Dodge rep will be present. I believe it is in the AES and this time I recorded the noise on my phone. Easy to do if you brake-race it at low rpm it becomes very noticeable. I did mine in my garage, but be careful...don't let your foot off the brake!
One quick way to prove if it's the actives is to pull fuse #36 while the car is off (see my post above). The car will throw a MIL code, though, but that can be reset later by putting the fuse back in and disconnecting the battery for maybe five minutes. But if it doesn't rattle (and I don't know of any cases with the open flaps rattling), that proves that it's the flaps rattling against the internal stops inside the exhaust while in the closed position. The left-right swap on my actuators and snugging the nuts up nicely solved the problem and has been rattle-free for over a year thankfully. It was driving me crazy initially but I so didn't want to have to take it to the dealer!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think I'm having this issue too, the car has gotten noticeably noisier lately, I thought it may be the water pump bearing issue too but definitely am hearing a loud rattle. So much so that even ordering food at a drive thru I have to yell for people to hear me over it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts