Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help from the forum! I have a 2013 Challenger RT. I'd like to upgrade the sound, but I'm basically a rookie when it comes to working on cars, other than basic stuff... with that said i'm not afraid to tackle a somewhat easy job in my garage, if possible.

I'm looking to upgrade the sound and would love someone to point me in the right direction! Do most of you upgrade it yourself in your garage, or take it to the dealer? I do see there are complete systems you can buy but i've also read about "axle back" upgrades that look a lot easier for a rookie to install at home.

Can anyone recommend anything that I could install on my own (with a buddy) at home in my garage? Or is the best bet to go to a Dodge dealer and order everything and have installed. Obviously saving some $ and doing myself would be nice. But I could use some advice from the forum.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
you can definitely install a kit yourself at home if you have a jack, jack stands and basic tools- I installed a cat back Flowmaster American Thunder kit on my Challenger in a few hours....and a Pypes Violator kit on my wife's SRT8 Magnum in about the same...it actually takes longer to get the old exhaust off than install the new one! Worst part is deciding what you want it to sound like...I love the Flowmaster kit on my Challenger, but because it is a 6 speed I wasn't worried about the 'drone' issues because of MDS...Same with the Magnum (although the Violator system is considerably louder than the Flowmaster system)...but if you have an automatic and MDS that may be an issue for you-:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. Yes, i have an automatic. Is noise inside the car a big issue after changing the exhaust?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Thank you for the reply. Yes, i have an automatic. Is noise inside the car a big issue after changing the exhaust?
Ultimately it depends on what system you choose. Keep in mind with the Automatic cars, they have MDS...cylinder deactivation...so when you're just cruising on the highway, it's a four cylinder car. So some systems run the risk of making it sound like a ricer.

Personally, I used the SLP Loudmouth II Catback on my charger. It sounds great, and keeps the drone to a minimum. The only person who's ever complained about it is my Sister In Law...but nobody else has ever mentioned the drone.

Best way to find something you like is to just search YouTube, there are hundreds of Example Videos out there of different catbacks for the Challenger.

·
Premium Member
10,192 Posts
If you have ramps back up on them and you're golden. It depends on how sensitive you are to sound as each system has a spot that may bother you. Automatics with mds sound very different from the manuals. The best thing you can do is find someone here who can let you hear theirs in person and hopefully go for a ride to hear it through the gears. Sound clips aren't the same as in person.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Yes, drone can be an issue in the 1800-2000 rpm range at medium to high engine loads (whether mds is activated or not). It also depends on how tolerant you are to that sound...some are able to embrace it and actually prefer the rawness, while others will be annoyed to no end. Unfortunately, the automatic tends to do a lot of its work in that same rpm range during normal driving.

So it is highly suggested to keep your rear resonators intact, at least for the first time out on your exhaust system experimentation. You can freely experiment with different mufflers located at the belly of the car, though. There's really no penalty for picking a particularly "loud" muffler there, since if your rear resonators are intact, that will quiet them down by some factor, anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts