Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Challenger RT with the 5.7 and automatic transmission. I am looking into building a custom exhaust with a local fabrication company. As of right now I have a CAI and an 87MM throttle body, I eventually will be doing a cam but it won't be for awhile. For my exhaust I want to.use Flowmaster original 40s and JBA shorty headers (Live in CA can't do long tubes) what I'm trying to decide is if I should do a 3" pipe with an x-pipe or a 2.5" I've heard lots of mixed feelings and am not sure what to do

·
Registered
747 Posts
Is a cam the end of the line for performance?
Are you racing or just want a fun/loud car?
3” will be louder and breath more for a car with mods but with only a cam, you don’t need it unless you just want the noise. Your performance may suffer slightly going that large on only a cammed 5.7.
The opposite is true for 2.5”. You will retain some performance, it will not be as loud, but the diameter is more fitting for a cam only 5.7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is a cam the end of the line for performance?
Are you racing or just want a fun/loud car?
3” will be louder and breath more for a car with mods but with only a cam, you don’t need it unless you just want the noise. Your performance may suffer slightly going that large on only a cammed 5.7.
The opposite is true for 2.5”. You will retain some performance, it will not be as loud, but the diameter is more fitting for a cam only 5.7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cam would most likely be the end of the line, possibly porting of the intake manifold and heads depending on where I end up with the cam. Trying to get to roughly 420WHP but I want more bottom end power for launching and acceleration

1 - 3 of 3 Posts