Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All -

I bought a 2010 R/T with 5.7 and 5-6 speed auto trans. As part of Dodge promotion, I had dealer install a MOPAR Cat-Back exhaust system (#5155283). Has louder sound of course, and nice grumble sound at idle. With power, it becomes a more penetrating and sometimes annoying louse "drone" sound. Any ideas to temper this??

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
All -

I bought a 2010 R/T with 5.7 and 5-6 speed auto trans. As part of Dodge promotion, I had dealer install a MOPAR Cat-Back exhaust system (#5155283). Has louder sound of course, and nice grumble sound at idle. With power, it becomes a more penetrating and sometimes annoying louse "drone" sound. Any ideas to temper this??
The auto is tough because you have two things to contend with....(1) the transmission wanting to shift into a higher gear at low rpms causing the engine to "lug"; and (2) the change in exhaust note when MDS engages.....sort of a deep buzzing sound. You could try using the transmission in auto stick mode, that way you'll be able to control when it shifts which will keep the rpms out of the 1800-2000rpm "drone zone" for the most part. It will also keep MDS from engaging also. Thats what I had to do with my 09 auto with one of the after market systems I had on it. Depending on your cruising speed, that may....or may not help. The only other option would be to add resonators to the system. Like I had mentioned earlier, I ended up switching the "drony" system for another that had resonators on it (neither of these were a Borla system like you have). It was night and day different, but the tradeoff was that it was a quieter system due to the resonators, though it was still much better than the stock auto's exhaust. It really comes down to how loud of an exhaust you like, and what you can tolerate when it comes to drone. Hopefully someone else here who has installed resonators on the Mopar RT system can chime in to give their thoughts on it also.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts