Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After discovering the shoddy hack job of an exhaust system someone before me put on my SRT 392, I've decided to make the exhaust my first mod. It's already showing leakage and some rust on the welds.

I'm trying to decide whether to go with an aftermarket system, or put on a used stock system. Stock would be a lot cheaper, but it's just a tad quiet and doesn't have the resonance I'm looking for. The idle is nice but it sounds just a tad stuffed up when revving the engine.

I can't get too loud because of where I live (military base) and I want to keep the factory active exhaust valves and avoid drone since I do a lot of highway cruising.

The aftermarket systems I'm considering are the Borla S-Type, the Stainless Works Legend or Redline series, Flowmaster American Thunder, and either Corsa Sport or Extreme.

I've also thought about adding LT headers and catted mid-pipes bolted to a stock exhaust setup, to make it sound more un-corked without getting too loud. Or, I could remove the mid-mufflers on a stock exhaust, which I love the sound of but I've never heard it in real life, how loud does that get compared to stock?

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
Check out Corsa :)

- Alexis

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check out Corsa :)

- Alexis
Do you have the ones with the round exhaust tips? Not a fan of their proprietary square tips.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't think of a Challenger exhaust that comes with round tips at the moment, but I believe aftermarket tips are available.

- Alexis
I know Corsa offers both round and square tips, at least that's what was on their website.

I have my own round tips already on the car that I could reuse, but I want as little welding done as possible.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Send us a pm and let us know which color tips you would like and we will get you an out the door price :)

- Alexis
May decide against the Corsa Sport. Hard to tell from YouTube clips but while louder than stock they still sound a little bit corked up.

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
May decide against the Corsa Sport. Hard to tell from YouTube clips but while louder than stock they still sound a little bit corked up.
A lot of different options out there. We suggested Corsa due to you want something with no drone and also something that is not too loud. I personally have Zoomers and while there is no drone it certainly turns heads when I go by due to the volume / rumble. Borla makes a great exhaust too. We hope you find what you're looking for :)

Let us know if we can help.

- Alexis

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A lot of different options out there. We suggested Corsa due to you want something with no drone and also something that is not too loud. I personally have Zoomers and while there is no drone it certainly turns heads when I go by due to the volume / rumble. Borla makes a great exhaust too. We hope you find what you're looking for :)

Let us know if we can help.

- Alexis
I appreciate it. Right now I think I'm actually looking most strongly at the Stainless Works Redline system, it seems to be the best balance between everything I'm looking for that I've found so far.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
407 Posts
Exhaust systems are an incredibly personal decision. I suggest hitting some of the local cruise-ins in the Pensacola area (even Mobile) and find a system that you like the sound of. And, if possible, go for a ride so you can hear for yourself if there's an acceptable level of drone.

A lot of people on this board have been down the same path you're walking now. Learn from our successes and failures. When I had my '11 Challenger R/T (5.7/345) I put Borla Sport mufflers on without the resonators and didn't like the sound and hated the drone. So, I put a Mopar Performance system on that in 2015 was made by Corsa and was essentially the Corsa Sport system. It was a little louder than stock -- but not enough. However, there was nearly zero drone which was wonderful. If I had kept that car, I'd have thrown more money at it and put a Flowmaster catback system on it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exhaust systems are an incredibly personal decision. I suggest hitting some of the local cruise-ins in the Pensacola area (even Mobile) and find a system that you like the sound of. And, if possible, go for a ride so you can hear for yourself if there's an acceptable level of drone.

A lot of people on this board have been down the same path you're walking now. Learn from our successes and failures. When I had my '11 Challenger R/T (5.7/345) I put Borla Sport mufflers on without the resonators and didn't like the sound and hated the drone. So, I put a Mopar Performance system on that in 2015 was made by Corsa and was essentially the Corsa Sport system. It was a little louder than stock -- but not enough. However, there was nearly zero drone which was wonderful. If I had kept that car, I'd have thrown more money at it and put a Flowmaster catback system on it.
Why Flowmaster in particular?

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
407 Posts
Really just a personal preference.

The Flowmaster sound reminds me of the old-school sound I heard in my youth in the late ‘70’s.

To me..... some of the other systems sound more like what I equate with a European sports car sound.

That’s why I suggested going to hear as many cars in person as possible. YouTube videos - even with headphones - can’t do a system justice.

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
Really just a personal preference.

The Flowmaster sound reminds me of the old-school sound I heard in my youth in the late ‘70’s.

To me..... some of the other systems sound more like what I equate with a European sports car sound.

That’s why I suggested going to hear as many cars in person as possible. YouTube videos - even with headphones - can’t do a system justice.
That is so true, videos do exhaust systems no justice. I had my heart set on the Borla Atak, but I was lucky enough to hear both at the same show and went with Zoomers.

- Alexis

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have American Thunder on mine, also military and live on base. They don't really get loud until going over 2k, 6m. I love the sound. I checked out a lot of systems first, you really want to make sure you get the ones YOU want.

·
Registered
2019 Granite RT 6MT
7 Posts
There was a thread on here talking about the stainless steel works and the redline series seems to be the way to go if you go with stainless steel works. Alternatively I have the Magnaflow Competition Series Catback on my car and I think it sounds pretty great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After discovering the shoddy hack job of an exhaust system someone before me put on my SRT 392, I've decided to make the exhaust my first mod. It's already showing leakage and some rust on the welds.

I'm trying to decide whether to go with an aftermarket system, or put on a used stock system. Stock would be a lot cheaper, but it's just a tad quiet and doesn't have the resonance I'm looking for. The idle is nice but it sounds just a tad stuffed up when revving the engine.

I can't get too loud because of where I live (military base) and I want to keep the factory active exhaust valves and avoid drone since I do a lot of highway cruising.

The aftermarket systems I'm considering are the Borla S-Type, the Stainless Works Legend or Redline series, Flowmaster American Thunder, and either Corsa Sport or Extreme.

I've also thought about adding LT headers and catted mid-pipes bolted to a stock exhaust setup, to make it sound more un-corked without getting too loud. Or, I could remove the mid-mufflers on a stock exhaust, which I love the sound of but I've never heard it in real life, how loud does that get compared to stock?
I've read good things about the Solo Performance system - specifically that is has zero drone. you may look there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts