Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of folks claim that their exhaust systems get "louder" with a little age/miles on them.

Simple question: WHY???

What really happens to make them do this???

·
Registered
330 Posts
Depending on the system, if it has fiberglass packing, it tends to burn up and make the system louder. Extreme heat from the exhaust and then sometimes cold water hitting them will cool the inside too fast and cause problems.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Muffler corrosion

Depending on the system, if it has fiberglass packing, it tends to burn up and make the system louder. Extreme heat from the exhaust and then sometimes cold water hitting them will cool the inside too fast and cause problems.
Yes, RT'sRT is correct and note also that depending on the material used to
make the mufflers (ie. SS vs mild steel), the baffle chambers within the
mufflers will corrode out.

It can be noted that most all modern internal combustion engines will produce
approx. 1 gal of water for each gal of gasoline burned. So, the combination
of corrosive exhaust gasses along with condensate is a good scenario for
long term corrosion.

:smokin:

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Really?...1 gal of water for 1 gal of gasoline?! I had no idea it was to that magnitude! :eek:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
we need to figure a way to recover the water, we could save our water supplies.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
My Charger had the stock exhaust on it, and it got quite a bit louder over time. One thing I noticed is even after driving the Challenger hard, it doesn't "tick-tick-tick" nearly as loud as the Charger did (Loudest of any car I've ever had), especially when it was new. It also doesn't have the scorched smell like the Charger always did after a full throttle run of any length. I wonder why?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts