Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my cutouts open in town last night and I passed a cop I closed the as soon as I did. He ended up pulling me over and when he came up to the window he's like I know this exhaust might be stock but the way you pulled out made it too loud and he said that was breaking the law. Even with my cutouts could I take it to court and say it was stock? Would they know the cutouts were there? I doubt they would look up under the car. This cop was a di*khead too he was like you been drag racing this car on the road any, I told him no and he's like there's no use in lieing about it I know you have WTF?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I'd just go to court and explain that you do you have a cut-out system but it's a flanged one, and the bolts came loose...I dunno, I never had problems with loud exhaust systems, been pulled over for it and was just told it was loud...that was on a V-6 straight piped that sounded like crap, what dick head cop would dismiss the angelic sounds of the hemi? How much was the ticket? It's strange that he said "Might be stock but the way you pulled out..." if it's stock he can't ticket you for anything, it's A-OK and he doesn't actually know about the cutouts...that's what is strange to me

This kinda reminds me of that silly thing on the FJ Forums, the FJ Cruiser has these side marker lights...

A member was pulled over for having his "side mirror" light on which is allowed by regulations, and is totally stock and comes on when you turn the lights on (all fjs are set like this)...cop said "no, turn them off, they are distracting and are not allowed" and the only way to drive without them on is daytime running lights...got a ticket and had to drive @ 11 at night with only DRLS (no other lights on) because of this idiotic cop, it's stock so it's legal.

Anyway, I'd just go and try to fight it, takes pics of your exhaust NOT where the cutouts are to show you have mufflers, cutouts are not illegal, but opening them up is, but he never knew you had any.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
You got caught with the cut outs open, which is illegal. Why would you drive around with the cut outs open? To draw attention to yourself....well you did. This is the story all the time in my area for guys that ride Harleys, I have an aftermarket system on my Soft tail Deuce and when riding through tourist areas that have sound ordinances (which most areas do) I just put it in third and just ride through the area. Other guys rev their engines and draw attention that is not wanted by folks that just want to enjoy riding. Now the cops have decible meters and point them at cars and bikes that are or seem to be louder then usual and hand out tickets because of a few guys who want to show off.

Cut outs are for track use and special events like cars shows , where you open them up when you are on track or event property.

I am not trying to be high and mighty here it just strikes a note with me since a few people in my local area ruin the enjoyment of riding and or cruising for the many.

Pay your fine and don't lie to the cop or Judge.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
you got caught with the cut outs open, which is illegal. Why would you drive around with the cut outs open? To draw attention to yourself....well you did. This is the story all the time in my area for guys that ride harleys, i have an aftermarket system on my soft tail deuce and when riding through tourist areas that have sound ordinances (which most areas do) i just put it in third and just ride through the area. Other guys rev their engines and draw attention that is not wanted by folks that just want to enjoy riding. Now the cops have decible meters and point them at cars and bikes that are or seem to be louder then usual and hand out tickets because of a few guys who want to show off.

Cut outs are for track use and special events like cars shows , where you open them up when you are on track or event property.

I am not trying to be high and mighty here it just strikes a note with me since a few people in my local area ruin the enjoyment of riding and or cruising for the many.

Pay your fine and don't lie to the cop or judge.
x 1 ..................

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
I WISHED I had this problem. I wished I could drive my car so I could get a ticket - she's been sitting in the garage for 40 days now! :(

I would just pay the fine and move on. The only complexity I see... sometimes equipment violations require the car owner to provide proof it was "corrected'. Not sure what that would be in this case, short of removing the cut-outs completely.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Throw yourself on the mercy of the court and promise you won't do it again. I agree with SpudRacer the last thing you want to do is lie to a judge.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....and when riding through tourist areas that have sound ordinances (which most areas do) I just put it in third and just ride through the area. Other guys rev their engines and draw attention that is not wanted by folks that just want to enjoy riding.
....what some folks like this tend to forget is the general public within earshot (whether in town, a tourist area, etc.). Besides being illegal, it is irritating and inconsiderate to say the least. Reminds me of the knuckle-heads I occasionally see roll into a gas station and crank up their music before getting out to fill up their car. Not everyone shares their enjoyment of excessively loud exhaust, music, ....whatever.

I completely agree with your points. I'm glad you brought it up.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
I had a very loud Harley and although all my neighbors heard it fire up every morning ( early) they ALL appreciated I did my best to idle out of the neighborhood.

That thing would set off car alarms on a daily basis. I loved the bike and the sound was due to a White Brothers 2:1 E -pipe with 17 or 23 baffle plates but it still screamed at heavy throttle.

Never once did I get a ticket and rode every day ( well almost except heavy rain days)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
1. You were a doofus and got caught.

2. If you're serious about getting out of this, hire a traffic attorney. The judge has heard every story in the book a thousand times- you won't pull anything over on him, so play it straight.

3. There's a time and a place for running the car in an attention getting manner. Think this one out a bit, plan ahead and time the caper right.

Good luck- let us know how it worked out.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
This thread and the comments about bikes reminds me of the South Park episode about harley riders. One [email protected] funny episode. Nuggets of truth, of course.

1) You drove with cutouts open and got caught producing excessive noise. That's already illegal. I recommend stopping here and dealing with this alone.
2) Lying to a cop is illegal--and once caught doing it sets a precedent *against* you for any further procedings. While the consequences *may* be shallow, it's still *extremely* ill advised--take the fifth before lying to a cop.
3) Lying to a judge is usually (always?) perjury--also illegal, which will usually land you in jail.

Just don't do it. The risk is a lot higher than most people think, IMO.
You can alway excercise your 5th amendment rights. If you feel a lie coming on, it's best to just stay quiet. Get a lawyer to do the talking for you--protecting you from yourself (and your own mouth).

The only way to lose your freedom (besides from being caught red-handed or with other solid evidence against you), is for you to *speak* and say something that gives them what they need to convict you. So many people just can't keep their mouths shut, and they talk away their freedom.

·
Registered
154 Posts
rpaulg87 what are those mirrors on. neverheard of the vehicle you are talking about. the initals dont help, i know what a VW is, and a SRT, but what are you talking about??

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
In the words of Ron White:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability......"

I am in the "you broke the law and got caught, man up and take the consequences" group.

Cutouts are all about "look at me" they add nothing to the performance of the car. They are very cool for shows and events though.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
rpaulg87 what are those mirrors on. neverheard of the vehicle you are talking about. the initals dont help, i know what a VW is, and a SRT, but what are you talking about??
FJ Cruiser is the Toyota SUV model competing in the Hummer and Jeep Rubicon class.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is funny, and kinda sad. I learned from President Clinton, our once leader, to...mislead...mislead "maybe lie" and mislead some more. Let's see if I can remember it...

On TV to America, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Ms Lewinski" as he pointed his closed-fist-thumb at us...

When the blue dress came "out of the closet" his story changed. And that's when he had a heart-to-heart with Hillary and before they started impeachment charges. BUT, he was never impeached and he's still married.

I guess the morale of that story is to NEVER EVER admit to ANYTHING.

·
Registered
497 Posts
No big deal, just pay the fine and move on. Look at it as the exhaust tax like I do with my no front plate tax. I have never nor will I ever put a front plate on a car that wasnt meant to have it. My truck and my wifes car, fine. Bot not the challenger and definitely not the vette I used to have. Anyone ever see a front plate on a vette? BLASPHEMY. I know the consequences and I'll pay that fine all day long.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Toyota FJ Cruiser, it was my prior car to the Challenger, a great "learning" vehicle in terms of learning to take things apart\general work.
Here's a pic of mine, I had covers over the side lamps though for protection, I still don't see how any cop would have the nerve to think they are illegal when stock on a vehicle...I hear crazy stories though

·
Registered
248 Posts
Bee,r who can also look at your decision as a way to try stimulate the economy and get us out of this economic recession. I have a front license plate on my challenger as I live in Maryland so it is required. I guess don't see it ruining my challenger, still get plenty of compliments about it. Rather have front license plate than giving my state government even more of my hard earned dollar from being fined not having one.
In the case of the exhaust, I agree with the others, you got so just pay up and be done with it. Have a good New Year all

·
Registered
321 Posts
I absolutely hate when people on Harleys with those loud ass exhausts rev their bikes and make all that damn noise (and the "it's for safety" excuse is total BS"). Sad thing is, I work across the street from the Cleveland Justice Center and everday in the summer, cops pull out onto the street after their shift in their extremely loud Harleys revving over and over again. But let it be a normal resident.. that'd be a ticket for sure!

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
it's no points so just pay it and try to befriend the local cops not piss em off or they will get you every chance they can

1 - 20 of 56 Posts