Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're on our way out of winter boys.... and that means its time to get ready for our 2020 mod planning. I'm looking to replace the stock rectangle cut-out style exhaust tips on my 2019 Scat. The exhaust tone they produce kind of sucks at idle and/or start, and I think they could be improved look-wise. Anyone have any recommendations of successful tips they've thrown on theirs?

I believe that the pipe OD is 2.5" right?

I'm looking at these possibly...

·
Registered
604 Posts
Wrong place to post this.

·
Registered
2015 RT, Scat Pack.......Shakerrrrrr
89 Posts
Agree with the posting in wrong discussion, disagree with the exhaust tone and looks comments provided.

The exhaust note and decibels are already produced before exiting the tips. Work on mid-muffler delete or disable active exhaust for a different sound.

As far as complaining about the exhaust tip shape, well......I guess that's in the eye of the beholder. Round, whether double or quad is a bad look for the rear end shape and lines. Nowhere in the back end is there a logical or decent styling cue to go with round. It's so obvious, what was designed and built there is perfect.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reminding me that I accidentally clicked "general forums" for my post. You're both incredibly helpful for informing me of that. Thank you.

Jeff - actually, you're incorrect. Yes - the manifold, collectors, pipe OD, pipe length, pipe design, mufflers and so on will all define an exhaust note - so will the volume that they exit the exhaust system. The tips will change the tonality of the exhaust, however it will be less of a change than a muffler/collector/pipe OD would make, obviously.

Yeah it's completely personal. My buddy has a 19 Charger Scat Pack and it sounds FAR better when it starts - very throaty. I may change more of my exhaust after I take care of the tips.

I've seen a few people here with round tips, and they can look good if done well.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Shaker 6 spd manual 18 spkrs Harmon Kardon
84 Posts
Well, of course it is in the eyes and "ears" of the beholder! Funny story is the fact that last week I was in the Dodge Showroom and while having a discussion with the Sales Manager I heard a car start which was parked right by the window. I turned around and almost shouted "what the hell is that?"... I bought the car. Basically bought the car "on sound"! I got lucky being a Scat Pack Shaker Package, 6 speed manual, 18 speakers Harmon Kardon and as you would of course know, much more!

I just went out to look at the exhaust tips and unless you can fit dual round tips for each side, it is going to look strange in that rectangle area designed for a rectangle exhaust tip. Just an opinion of course, humbly! It is an "active exhaust" and personally I find it to be just right... I do like to listen to my music also at times...

Let us know what happens and if you do, post us a video. Who knows... we might change of your mind regarding our opinions. I am always open to new aspects for sure. The spice of Life!!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, of course it is in the eyes and "ears" of the beholder! Funny story is the fact that last week I was in the Dodge Showroom and while having a discussion with the Sales Manager I heard a car start which was parked right by the window. I turned around and almost shouted "what the hell is that?"... I bought the car. Basically bought the car "on sound"! I got lucky being a Scat Pack Shaker Package, 6 speed manual, 18 speakers Harmon Kardon and as you would of course know, much more!

I just went out to look at the exhaust tips and unless you can fit dual round tips for each side, it is going to look strange in that rectangle area designed for a rectangle exhaust tip. Just an opinion of course, humbly! It is an "active exhaust" and personally I find it to be just right... I do like to listen to my music also at times...

Let us know what happens and if you do, post us a video. Who knows... we might change of your mind regarding our opinions. I am always open to new aspects for sure. The spice of Life!!!
Haha congrats on the new purchase!

Yeah I have considered the dual round tips but I just hate the way they look. Its a difficult decision. I also enjoy the active exhaust, and the drone control that this car does a great job with, but I just wish our starts and idle sounded as throaty as the chargers. It may be either their tips, or a combination of the tips AND the increased length of exhaust pipe. I imagine that the latter is the main difference in sound.

Someone else HAS to have messed with some round pipes on the back of a challenger.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Single out round on a Challenger? It would be different. Keep in mind that your OAL if you weld to the resonator will need to be ~6.5 to 7 inches.
I planned on moving the resonators back an inch or two based on how much I needed to ensure the tips didn't stick out too much. Is that what you're referring to?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Haha congrats on the new purchase!

Yeah I have considered the dual round tips but I just hate the way they look. Its a difficult decision. I also enjoy the active exhaust, and the drone control that this car does a great job with, but I just wish our starts and idle sounded as throaty as the chargers. It may be either their tips, or a combination of the tips AND the increased length of exhaust pipe. I imagine that the latter is the main difference in sound.

Someone else HAS to have messed with some round pipes on the back of a challenger.

If I remember you are right about the Charger as I was looking at one and actually test drove it but felt very claustrophobic in it.

I think it was throatier at start.

·
Registered
2015 RT, Scat Pack.......Shakerrrrrr
89 Posts
Thanks for reminding me that I accidentally clicked "general forums" for my post. You're both incredibly helpful for informing me of that. Thank you.

Jeff - actually, you're incorrect. Yes - the manifold, collectors, pipe OD, pipe length, pipe design, mufflers and so on will all define an exhaust note - so will the volume that they exit the exhaust system. The tips will change the tonality of the exhaust, however it will be less of a change than a muffler/collector/pipe OD would make, obviously.

Yeah it's completely personal. My buddy has a 19 Charger Scat Pack and it sounds FAR better when it starts - very throaty. I may change more of my exhaust after I take care of the tips.

I've seen a few people here with round tips, and they can look good if done well.
No problem......I was just following JBC, it didn't matter to me.

In the totality of it all, the exhaust note coming out is changed by the atmosphere once it escapes. Which then becomes the ear of the beholder. A matter of perception, which is good and well.

More than anything......I would not dissuade you from doing what you want.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had my factory tips powder coated black.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had FlowMaster S-10's. 2-1/4" factory A8 2016 pipes & changed to 2-1/4 in/3 in out round dual tips & drone was gone, then 3 month's later went to 2-1/2 FlowMaster Flow-FX cat back & it sounds MUCH better & still no drone now...good luck!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had FlowMaster S-10's. 2-1/4" factory A8 2016 pipes & changed to 2-1/4 in/3 in out round dual tips & drone was gone, then 3 month's later went to 2-1/2 FlowMaster Flow-FX cat back & it sounds MUCH better & still no drone now...good luck!

Can you post a photo?... Please.... [your question about the clear wrap, I have answered it]

·
Registered
98 Posts
Can you post a photo?... Please.... [your question about the clear wrap, I have answered it]
Don't remember asking about 'clear wrap'? Did ask about that ZL1 diffuser.
Here are a cuple tip picts. be well!

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,434 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Heck with the tips, I'm digging the louvers.
Thanks, me too...the original owner added them & I thank him. My '70 Cuda 340 had them & this car is so much like it (only faster & better MPG) that it's only fault is that was Plum Crazy & this ones B5 (& I like it better) - be safe

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, me too...the original owner added them & I thank him. My '70 Cuda 340 had them & this car is so much like it (only faster & better MPG) that it's only fault is that was Plum Crazy & this ones B5 (& I like it better) - be safe
Thanks for the pictures, man. Sweet looking ride. I need to grab some tips off amazon and pair them up underneath the car to see if they fit the styling the right way.

·
Registered
98 Posts
For the tips try eBay...cheaper (a lot) more choices...I do wish my exhaust guy had centered them in the valance opening better, but I like it, thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the pictures, man. Sweet looking ride. I need to grab some tips off amazon and pair them up underneath the car to see if they fit the styling the right way.
MINE ARE 2-1/4" IN 3 INCH OUT...I SHOULD'A GOT THESE BUT I HADN'T CHANGED TO 2-1/2" PIPES YET...BE WELL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts