Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can someone tell me which exhaust type comes standard on a 2018 Challenger RT Scatpack 485 HP ? I know it's either Touring, S-Type, or Atak, each with their own loudness level. The dealer I was in touch with didn't know. I test drove a model pretty sure it wasn't a scatpack just by tromping on it, but it was loud inside.

Thanks,
Bob M.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
704 Posts
The ScatPack factory exhaust is from the SRT. AFAIK it was designed in-house by the SRT team.

Let me get this straight - you test drove a car but didn’t know what model it was? Why bother?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Form and fit

Yeah, it was the 6 cyl. Model. I was mainly interested in the interior fit for me and the visibility as well. I'm 6'2" and sometimes have a problem with my head scraping inside the roof. My wife has an Acura TL and even with the seat all the way down my head still hits the roof. Plus other cars I've driven had enormous blind spots or little to no visibility . I was happy with the Challenger and plan to get the RT 392 Scatpack this coming new year. Love the way they look. Can't wait to get behind some power again. Had a 68 GTO rebuilt it from scratch. 400 ci 428 hp, 4:10 posi rear. M21 gearbox.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Challengers have some pretty decent sized blind spots. I definitely like the blind spot notification and backup camera on my 2015 compared to the neither that my 2012 had.

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
The '18 (and '17) V8 models have active exhaust systems.

When you get on the throttle (or run in Sport mode) the exhaust valves in the exhaust system open up and the sound output is louder.

Chrysler developed this exhaust in house.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Did the 15 SRT have the active exhaust at wide open throttle? I thought they did but only at full throttle?

I know GM has it where you can control it on the Corvettes and set a preference for the exhaust valves. Pretty cool the Challengers have that in the newer models.

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
The '15+ Scat Packs and SRT models had active exhaust. It opens under load / % of throttle.

from '17 onward the 5.7s also gained this exhaust.

On SRT models, in Track mode, the exhaust valves go into full open position with that setting.

·
Registered
14,277 Posts
No it doesn't have to be full throttle to open up and is totally automatic and not controllable by driver like Corvette. It's open when you first start it idle and is quite loud then as it warms up a little the exhaust closes and gets quieter until you get on it a little. Even closed it's never fully closed, there's about a one inch hole in each of the valve flappers for the exhaust to flow.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Yeah, it was the 6 cyl. Model. I was mainly interested in the interior fit for me and the visibility as well. I'm 6'2" and sometimes have a problem with my head scraping inside the roof. My wife has an Acura TL and even with the seat all the way down my head still hits the roof. Plus other cars I've driven had enormous blind spots or little to no visibility . I was happy with the Challenger and plan to get the RT 392 Scatpack this coming new year. Love the way they look. Can't wait to get behind some power again. Had a 68 GTO rebuilt it from scratch. 400 ci 428 hp, 4:10 posi rear. M21 gearbox.

I'm confused. You drove a 6 cyl but it was loud? No idea. IF you get the active exhaust I bet you would be very happy.
I am. Just the right amount in all situations from my view.......and ear. The interior is as about as big as it gets.
The exterior too for that matter. Bigger than my 02 Impala!!! Both ways. Tighter though inside........hmmmm.
Heavier too. The Challenger is a very big car! Monster 2 door.
Good luck on the new car. I love the Scat, just like it is. (almost)
I dig your last muscle car. This will pull very hard too. As hard as your tires permit.

·
Registered
14,277 Posts
Don't get the sunroof if you are tall, way less headroom and the Scat Pack will blow you away compared to the V6 in noise! :D

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Don't get the sunroof if you are tall, way less headroom and the Scat Pack will blow you away compared to the V6 in noise! :D

That's why I was confused....am. There is no noise to speak of in an SXT. Then when asked he starts in on the interior.
Maybe just excited. I don't blame anyone for being excited!!! The Scatpack sound right for him. UNLESS he really thought the SXT WAS too loud. Like I said, I'm confused.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I was definitely surprised to hear that you think the challenger is good for viability. There are some pretty large blind spots. I wish I would have gotten the option for the lane change notification warning.

I do love the interior though. I have a scat with the suede leather seats and they are comfortable! I enjoy taking my scat on longer rides. Plus I enjoy the amount of room you get inside and the trunk. I have fit so much stuff in my car!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
704 Posts
The driver has some control over the exhaust tone. He can keep the active exhaust open on the ScatPack simply by running in Sport mode.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I was definitely surprised to hear that you think the challenger is good for viability. There are some pretty large blind spots. I wish I would have gotten the option for the lane change notification warning.

I do love the interior though. I have a scat with the suede leather seats and they are comfortable! I enjoy taking my scat on longer rides. Plus I enjoy the amount of room you get inside and the trunk. I have fit so much stuff in my car!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I thought the blind spot warning in the mirrors was all one could hope for. I would only use those technical features on long trips on the highway. Which I don't do any more. The convenience feature I think is necessary for the same reason.
But you are right, a whole different animal on the road. Very exciting! FUN!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts