Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking about doing something with the exhaust on our 2012 SRT8. Everything I see keeps mentioning these letters: DLR and MSD. What do they mean?

·
Registered
276 Posts
MSD is the 4 cylinder mode it kicks into when cruising with an automatic. This can cause a lot of drone if you have an automatic. Aggressive exhausts bring this out more. IE. straight pipes, Slp lm1... I have heard borla atak drones some, but slp drones a lot... Still love my slp though :) no idea on DLR

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Mauseth, Welcome to Challenger talk. You will find that the stock exhaust pipes are good, and the mufflers that are under the car are a straight flow design that flows very good. The only part of the exhaust that is restrictive is the resonators behind the bumper. What you can do is have a muffler shop remove the resonators and replace them with a aftermarket muffler or straight pipes. I installed a Magnaflow Axle back muffler kit and it sounds great. I can not see paying big bucks for a complete stainless cat back system, when most of your stock system is good.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Or you could just...............

I agree with DodgeHemi61 but, you could just take the resonators off first, then if you don't like what it sounds like, spend more money on mufflers if you must. I just removed the resonators and replaced the "dinky" ugly stock exhaust tips and replaced them with two 5" tips and the sound can not be beat by a 1200.00 exhaust system!
but what people discribe as "Drone" I say "anything coming out of an exhaust pipe is music"

But that is just me.....................

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thinking about doing something with the exhaust on our 2012 SRT8. Everything I see keeps mentioning these letters: DLR and MSD. What do they mean?
Hi mauseth,

Regarding MDS, it is a cylinder deactivation technology that takes you from 8 cylinders and drops you down to 4 cylinders when the ECU wants to save gas and doesn’t think you need the extra cylinders. This relates to the exhaust sound because switching from 8 to 4 cylinders changes the sound dramatically. This presented a big challenge for our engineers in developing an exhaust system that works for both modes. After much testing, we deliver two systems that sound aggressive outside the cabin, while minimizing unpleasant sounds (drone or resonance) inside the cabin when it switches to 4 cylinder mode.

Our “S-Type” (part #140435) cat-back will give your Challenger a more aggressive, deeper, throatier sound than the stock exhaust. Our “ATAK” (part #140436) is the loudest system we offer, it will make your Challenger the meanest, most aggressive car on the block!

Both of these cat-back systems come with polished tips, are made of high quality, 300-series austenitic stainless steel, and come with our Million Mile Warranty. Our systems are designed and tuned specifically for each vehicle to give you the most in sound and performance. I’ve included a video link below of the Challenger SRT-8 with our “ATAK” system on it (Unfortunately I couldn’t also find one with our “S-Type” system). If you have any questions about our products, please give us a call at 805-986-8600 and we’ll help you out. Happy exhaust hunting!

VIDEO: Borla ATAK Development - 2011 Challenger SRT8:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I installed Zoomers and love them. I get constant complements.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Does this mean M6's are ...

MSD is the 4 cylinder mode it kicks into when cruising with an automatic. This can cause a lot of drone if you have an automatic. Aggressive exhausts bring this out more. IE. straight pipes, Slp lm1... I have heard borla atak drones some, but slp drones a lot... Still love my slp though :) no idea on DLR
...not suseptible to drone?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
...not suseptible to drone?
Perhaps less susceptible, but not immune. Since the M6s don't have MDS they don't have to worry about the change in exhaust tone and can shift out of the "drone zone" a little easier than an A5.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts