Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've got the MOPAR Catback on 5.7 auto. Drone is too much. Any good exhaust shops in northern Virginia area??
Pretty much all performance exhausts are going to drone at a certain RPM. Some drone all the time. I have the same Mopar exhaust as you and I love it.
In general, the only way you are going to get rid of drone is to run the stock exhaust.

Good luck............

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
4 hours left for solo performance group buy on a drone free exhaust. Yes drone free for under six hundred bucks. There in the vender section. Get it before midnite.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ditto on the Solo Exhaust. I ordered mine today. They are customer service and customer relations at it's finest.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Salty dog good for you. I didn't think you would pull the trigger. I'm glad you did. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the Borla exhaust on my 06 Magnum R/T AWD. It drone'd as much as the Dodge exhaust on my R/T Challenger.

I'm an old hot rodder and the louder the better as long as I don't get hassle from the cops. My best friend is a OKC cop and the drone doesn't bother him at all. Of course, he has a 65 GT350 factory road race Mustang and a show car Pantera.
Us old hot rodders just don't care about noise. Same as almost any Harley rider of which I am also one.

I guess times have changed for the ear sensitive younger folks?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had the Borla exhaust on my 06 Magnum R/T AWD. It drone'd as much as the Dodge exhaust on my R/T Challenger.

I'm an old hot rodder and the louder the better as long as I don't get hassle from the cops. My best friend is a OKC cop and the drone doesn't bother him at all. Of course, he has a 65 GT350 factory road race Mustang and a show car Pantera.
Us old hot rodders just don't care about noise. Same as almost any Harley rider of which I am also one.

If by younger you mean 45...I still have the factory exhaust, and the drone doesn't bug me too much. When it does, I just turn the MDS off. I would like to upgrade to a louder, more muscle-car sound (the Solo one does sound great), but I don't want to end up with more drone than the stock...that would drive me crazy.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
The newly released Mopar catback made by Corsa with their RSC technology really added pep to mine and hardly any drone at all with the MDS engaged. Yep, its expensive, but not to loud (until you foot it), looks good (same rectangular exhaust tips - with MOPAR and RSC Technology on the top.
So, good looks, sound, and yes, performance = perfect for me.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
try blastin bob's cherry bombs, they cut my drone down to almost nothing. they go just before the tips.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Installed the CORSA Xtreme no-drone on my 09 R/T.Great sound and made from 304L stainless steel,...the best.I drive using Autostick 100% of the time and have disabled the MDS using the Diablosport Predator #U7135 so no drone is prsent when in 'Drive' for highway cruising.Gas mlieage difference with MDS off is barely noticeable.

Also,check out the new line of MBRP no-drone cat-back systems.They are getting great reviews and come in both 304L and the cheaper 409L stainless steel versions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
1500 - 2000 RPM. I'm an older fart: MDS???

MDS = Multiple Displacment System

If you have an auto transmission the system will shut down 4 cylinders under steady RPM to save gas (i.e. highway driving).

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Installed the CORSA Xtreme no-drone on my 09 R/T.Great sound and made from 304L stainless steel,...the best.I drive using Autostick 100% of the time and have disabled the MDS using the Diablosport Predator #U7135 so no drone is prsent when in 'Drive' for highway cruising.Gas mlieage difference with MDS off is barely noticeable.

Also,check out the new line of MBRP no-drone cat-back systems.They are getting great reviews and come in both 304L and the cheaper 409L stainless steel versions.

Hi, since you turned off the MDS, do you notice a drop in gas mileage when cruising?
It seems logical that 4-cylinder mode would use less gas than 8-cylinder mode. Esp since that's the purpose of MDS. I love the autostick but I like to see the MDS on because I'm supposed to be getting better mileage. (no drone on the Mopar/Corsa system)
Thanks

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
The newly released Mopar catback made by Corsa with their RSC technology really added pep to mine and hardly any drone at all with the MDS engaged. Yep, its expensive, but not to loud (until you foot it), looks good (same rectangular exhaust tips - with MOPAR and RSC Technology on the top.
So, good looks, sound, and yes, performance = perfect for me.
Did Corsa Exhaust finally pony up some big bucks to win back the right to be the exclusive performance exhaust seller for Chrysler, Good for them. Corsla lost out to Borla a few years back for the rather lucrative new car selling dealership franchise. My guess is that battle goes back and forth each year.
I have a Corsa system on my 05 AWD Escalade and I like it.
However I also have a Borla exhaust system installed on my 10 SRT8 & I like that as well. Some may disagree with me but all the performance exhaust systems are pretty much the same from what I can tell, they all put out about 15 HP increase over the stock set up. So rest assured, no matter which way you go on this everything will turn out alright. My suggestion is to listen to a few of them on other peoples cars to see what you think. I don't think the performance exhaust systems are that much louder over stock which is alright by me as my hearing aint what it used to be!

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Did Corsa Exhaust finally pony up some big bucks to win back the right to be the exclusive performance exhaust seller for Chrysler, Good for them. Corsla lost out to Borla a few years back for the rather lucrative new car selling dealership franchise. My guess is that battle goes back and forth each year.
I have a Corsa system on my 05 AWD Escalade and I like it.
However I also have a Borla exhaust system installed on my 10 SRT8 & I like that as well. Some may disagree with me but all the performance exhaust systems are pretty much the same from what I can tell, they all put out about 15 HP increase over the stock set up. So rest assured, no matter which way you go on this everything will turn out alright. My suggestion is to listen to a few of them on other peoples cars to see what you think. I don't think the performance exhaust systems are that much louder over stock which is alright by me as my hearing aint what it used to be!
I couldn't agree more,, well said!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi, since you turned off the MDS, do you notice a drop in gas mileage when cruising?
It seems logical that 4-cylinder mode would use less gas than 8-cylinder mode. Esp since that's the purpose of MDS. I love the autostick but I like to see the MDS on because I'm supposed to be getting better mileage. (no drone on the Mopar/Corsa system)
Thanks
With the MDS off and cruising at 110Km with the cruise control on I've noticed that I use 1/8 more of a tank of gas on a 200km trip that I take frequently.I consider this to be a small price to pay for the disabling of the MDS.Also,When city driving I always use 'Autostick Mode' to improve on gas mileage especially when in hilly areas.

·
Banned
557 Posts

Don't give up hope. I just turned 35 and wouldn't buy the auto because it sounded too wimpy. The 6-speed exhaust note is much sweeter, not to mention the fun factor is at least 2x as good IMO. However, I now think the stock 6-speed exhaust is not loud enough, lol.

I guess I'm looking for that "I just ate a Prius and getting ready to spit it back out" muscle car sound. Something just isn't right with a quiet exhaust on a muscle car. If quiet is the concern, perhaps a different "muscle" car should have been purchased. :scratchhead:

·
Registered
207 Posts
I also got the blastin bob's and couldn't be happier. For $250 installed, was money well spent as I now have "that sound and feel" and didn't break the bank. No noticeable drone to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts