Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in my quest to improve the 42RLE 4-speed transmission, i did some modifications. i installed a custom 3400 stall converter, shift kit, and rewired the trans range sensor. i added headers while i had it all apart.

initial testing didn't last long. the trans shifts were extremely quick and hard. they were too brutal for most people. i was hoping that the rear end would survive these hits.

well, after 3 test miles all hell let loose. i got on it with 1/2 power and as soon as it shifted into second gear things started to go bad real fast. the shift was so strong that when it banged, the motor sang to 7000 rpms and the car bucked forward and backwards with loud clunking noises. it seemed that the drivetrain broke as i coasted to the side of the road.

i just got the car back to the garage. there is no more power to the tires. the engine runs fine, but either the trans, converter or rear end failed and failed big.

i will diagnose the failure and see where the weak link in the drivetrain is.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ouch, sorry about your ride

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay, i started the car and all is fine in park. i put it in reverse and the trans whines. then i put it in drive and it locked up and killed the engine.

anybody have any ideas? trans or converter?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I wouldn't even turn it on with broken parts--you could do more damage.
Get it on a lift and start taking it apart and see.
You should probably take off and inspect everything just to be sure--more than one thing could be damaged.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sounds like the tranny, I had the same experience with a 727-TorqueFlite on my 70' Dart. It would start and shift into reverse but the clutch packs were gone and even revving it to 3500 rpm it would barely have any power to back up. All three forward gears were gone, you could hear the tranny go into gear but no amount of revving would produce any forward motion.

That was three days after I installed a shift kit. Upon disassembly it was determined that I had blocked a return with a gasket and that caused the problem.

Was a $500.00 and week's worth of work mistake. Doh!

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay, the differential survived the hit. i disconnected the batery for a while and rewired the TRS back to stock. reconnected the battery and checked for DTC's. the codes are cleared now. i brought the trans up to temp (120 degree) and reset the fluid level. the whine is gone and the lockup doesn't happen. but the trans will not turn. when i rev it up a little, it start to make a grinding noise in the trans. it will catch for a split second and turn over and shutter. it is like the trans shaft is sheared and will catch on a burr and turn for a seconds.

thank goodness i have the lifetime warranty on the drivetrain....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sounds like the front pump came apart. Disconnect one of the trans cooler lines and start the car. If fluid doesn't flow out you know the pump is bad and you probably have metal shavings all throughout the tranny. Time for a new tranny and torque converter.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sounds like the front pump came apart. Disconnect one of the trans cooler lines and start the car. If fluid doesn't flow out you know the pump is bad and you probably have metal shavings all throughout the tranny. Time for a new tranny and torque converter.
make sure you get the lines and the trans cooler cleaned out or replaced at the same time! alot of guys overlook this and 6months later are doing it again.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
...thank goodness i have the lifetime warranty on the drivetrain....
You think they are really going to repair it as warranty work when you changed the converter, added a shift kit and re-wired the trans sensor? Not being sarcastic, but can't see them repairing it under warranty when you "improved" the transmission and it craters 3 miles later.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
This is definitely not Chryslers problem and stuff like this raises the cost of buying a car for the rest of us. Maybe I misunderstood your post but it sounds like your going to take it for warranty service...

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Here come the lectures...

HemiSam
If you have a good relationship with the dealer they may sweep it under the rug and if they do keep it to yourself do not post it . If they got caught helping you out they could be in deep dog......:thumbsup::thumbsup:I wish you luck with it and hope it goes well for you .I have a southern hot rod trans in my car and just had Mr Norms change the converter the first place I had do the work installed the wrong stall speed .I have approx 840 whp and beat the sh!t out of the car and no issues I would bet that if you call Tim at Mr Norms he will give you some free advice .

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
SS Dodge. What wiring were you doing with the trans / speed sensor. ?
I have seen more than one trans go away after a shift kit install.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
You think they are really going to repair it as warranty work when you changed the converter, added a shift kit and re-wired the trans sensor? Not being sarcastic, but can't see them repairing it under warranty when you "improved" the transmission and it craters 3 miles later.
Ditto. The repair work should not be covered under warranty and Chrysler has no responsibility to replaced the damaged components. Any attempt to have the car repaired under warranty is dishonest.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
DITTO!:fight:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts