Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I will probably post a bunch of newbie stuff as i go through my car....bare with me. Ok so I dont get why I need the skip shift eliminator. Somebody sell me on why!
I say this cause I have yet to experience any issues to need it. I dont skip gears myself ever. I run through the gears every time and never experience any shift where I had to go from 1st into 4th. So I'll throw it back to you guys and say what the heck are you guys doing wrong that you need this mod?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Try shifting out of 1st and into 2nd at 20mph, you'll be forced to shift into fourth, the skip shift eliminator eliminates that.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So as long as Im on it all the time this wont happen to me? I think I always go faster than 20 in first. Granted Im 250 miles in.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,425 Posts
The signal that locks out 2nd gear is sent by the PCM. The range is in the owner's manual. Going 19-21 mph and a certain rpm range will cause the lockout. The skip shift eliminator receives the signal and lets the PCM "think" that the lockout has happened, but it doesn't happen and the trans shifts like normal. My explanation sounds goofy, but that's the way it works.

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
The skip shift will only activate if all the following conditions are met.

- You're in 1st gear
- The engine temperature is more than ~160 F (I think)
- The throttle is opened less than ~25%
- Your speed is between 19 and 21 mph

The biggest problem with the skip shift is that it gets you when you least expect it. Imagine you're pulling out into traffic, in first gear, turning right. Then you notice a vehicle coming from your left much more quickly than you originally thought when you started pulling into the intersection just as you shift into 2nd gear. Okay, you nail the gas to speed up. Uh-oh, you're in 4th gear. Darn it!

It only takes another second to shift back to 2nd gear. But it is annoying to say the least. You can't always drive and go through the gears quickly to "get around" the skip shift, especially when there is traffic.

The eliminator is simply a resistor that tricks the computer into "believing" that there is still an electrical solenoid connected so the MIL is not activated. The commercial ones sold for less than $30 with shipping use OEM connectors and look like a factory install.

To install, you unplug the solenoid cable at the transmission and plug the eliminator into the cable. The other end of the eliminator (the dummy end) plugs into the receptacle on the transmission keeping that connection clean and pristine.

I installed the eliminator within weeks of taking delivery of both my Challengers (the '09 & the '15). Get caught by surprise just once, and you'll be convinced to get one.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

·
Registered
14,071 Posts
MPG savings and emissions, every time you let off to shift there is a little spike to deal with, now not so bad but years ago manual transmissions were way worse smog wise than automatic. There was a period in the mid to late 70s that you could not get a manual transmission in most performance cars in California. More useless trivia ... the first use of skip-shift was in the 1989 Corvette.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I get whats going on now. The pulling out into traffic scenario really makes sense as to why people are doing this mod or the unexpected surprise of it. Im going to try to make it happen on my car and see what the deal is. I know I dont want to pull out and that happen to me and have to grab 2nd fast again.

·
Registered
14,071 Posts
Just go out in 1st and slowly wind it out at light throttle to exactly 20 mph and attempt to shift to 2nd and it should lock you out and force you to 4th. The older cars would also give you a skip-shift EVIC message but on 15-up no message but still get the force to 4th. If you pause for a few seconds or double clutch neutral it will go to 2nd. So either shift before or after 20 mph or with a heavier throttle foot and you will never see the skip-shift.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took the car out today for some runs on some farm back roads. I couldnt get it to activate once. I tried holding at 20 and shifting and it went to 2nd easy. I guess Im going to learn the hard way when I least expect it. Although this is not a daily driver for me . Today I took out for about 5 runs. Managing nothing but 13.1s -13.3s on my timer @106 and 107mph. Lots of wheel spin in 1st and 2nd. 5.0-5.2 0-60mphs. Launching it was harder than i thought. I got home and just realized my tire pressure is sitting at 48lbs. That cant help for sure.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I took the car out today for some runs on some farm back roads. I couldnt get it to activate once. I tried holding at 20 and shifting and it went to 2nd easy. I guess Im going to learn the hard way when I least expect it. Although this is not a daily driver for me . Today I took out for about 5 runs. Managing nothing but 13.1s -13.3s on my timer @106 and 107mph. Lots of wheel spin in 1st and 2nd. 5.0-5.2 0-60mphs. Launching it was harder than i thought. I got home and just realized my tire pressure is sitting at 48lbs. That cant help for sure.

That's the problem is it hits you when you least expect it. Not a big deal just a little annoying. A quick 20 bucks to speedlogix solves it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ok, I get whats going on now. The pulling out into traffic scenario really makes sense as to why people are doing this mod or the unexpected surprise of it. Im going to try to make it happen on my car and see what the deal is. I know I dont want to pull out and that happen to me and have to grab 2nd fast again.

It always happened to me when making left turns, drove me nuts. Here is a good video of the Skip Shift in action. https://youtu.be/G1_Cvaq-8Ys

The eliminator is very easy to install, my daughter and I knocked it out real fast in this video. > https://youtu.be/ZX2zCLVBXPY The issue has not happened again since installing the Speedlogix Skip Shift Eliminator. I really wish I had done this much sooner.

:headbang:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Like others have said, its not so much the annoyance, its the SURPRISE!

Had it happen to me in my old 2012 Mustang GT. It can be border line dangerous. At a 20 mph roll, you expect to blast away in 2nd gear w/no problem, only to be caught in 4th gear.:surprise:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Was your car bought new, or used?

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not sure if anyone has info on this but...I had the skip shift happen a few times when my car was new and it never, i repeat, never does it anymore. Ever. I've read that the car 'learns' your driving style over time and that a lot suggest pulling a fuse after a while to 'reset' and 'wake up' the car again. With that said, has the car learned that I run through my gears like an auto sometimes and it just doesn't bother with skip shift? I can baby the hell out of it in first and shift into second well before I hit 2k rpms and never does it skip shift anymore. I'm glad of course, just wondering if it's a coincidence or what?

·
Super Moderator
15,067 Posts
Not sure if anyone has info on this but...I had the skip shift happen a few times when my car was new and it never, i repeat, never does it anymore. Ever. I've read that the car 'learns' your driving style over time and that a lot suggest pulling a fuse after a while to 'reset' and 'wake up' the car again. With that said, has the car learned that I run through my gears like an auto sometimes and it just doesn't bother with skip shift? I can baby the hell out of it in first and shift into second well before I hit 2k rpms and never does it skip shift anymore. I'm glad of course, just wondering if it's a coincidence or what?
Odds are, your driving habits have changed over time. You're working out of the parameters of what skip shift is triggered by.
-however, if you're in slow traffic, its when it gets you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know when I first got it I would just rev it a bit more when starting off and that would let me go to 2nd each time. I have actually tried a few times to make it happen in different scenarios and no dice...I take my son to school everyday and we do a lot of stop and go/slow for the majority. I'm puzzled that it doesn't ever happen. My habits could have very well changed for sure though. This is my first manual so that is a strong possibility.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts