Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,023 Posts
basically its staying in 1st gear, slowly accelerating and you shift in the 19 - 22mph range (and <25% throttle).

the first couple of days with my Scat Pack Shaker, I didn't have time to get the skip-shift installed.

On a Monday morning, I drove over to the shop that was installing my graphics ('71 style R/T stripes) and removing the majority of the Shaker stripes (only left the wide stripe on hood...). I had to drive to work after that, so I didn't have the time to do it.

On the drive back after the installation, it was heavy slow traffic to get to the hwy ramp - the skip-shift caught me 4 times in a couple of miles.
-that next day (engine cold) I installed the dongle that had been sitting, waiting to be put in.

If you're accelerating more briskly, odds are you are beyond the mph or throttle % limits and skip shift stays out of it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
basically its staying in 1st gear, slowly accelerating and you shift in the 19 - 22mph range (and <25% throttle).

the first couple of days with my Scat Pack Shaker, I didn't have time to get the skip-shift installed.

On a Monday morning, I drove over to the shop that was installing my graphics ('71 style R/T stripes) and removing the majority of the Shaker stripes (only left the wide stripe on hood...). I had to drive to work after that, so I didn't have the time to do it.

On the drive back after the installation, it was heavy slow traffic to get to the hwy ramp - the skip-shift caught me 4 times in a couple of miles.
-that next day (engine cold) I installed the dongle that had been sitting, waiting to be put in.

If you're accelerating more briskly, odds are you are beyond the mph or throttle % limits and skip shift stays out of it.
It does baffle me even more then...I would think I meet those conditions fairly regularly. I've read a lot of your posts and you know your stuff, sir. When I'm not in sport mode I have to give it a lot of peddle travel to really get going in say 3rd, like over half of the pedal travel and it's like a light switch of power once I get past that threshold. It feels odd sometimes b/c the power delivery is pretty linear with the 5.7 and yet in that scenario it almost feels like a blown motor the way it wakes up. Now if I'm in sport mode the difference is amazing in respect to the throttle response. So much that folks likely think I'm testing them when I start off in 1st b/c my usual prod of the throttle revs to 3500 plus. Appreciate the info!

·
Super Moderator
15,023 Posts
Ha! I know about the Sport mode throttle - the first time I engage it (after driving a bit) I rev a bit more when taking off from a stop (M6) and then I quickly re-adjust to that...

You should see how jumpy a 392 / A8 combo is for Sport mode - I would not drive in stop & go traffic with that...way too touchy.

·
Registered
105 Posts

So I actually tried and it worked, haha. I think you are dead on with the skip shift staying out of it in that situation. Another way I'm sure is me babying it and not even getting the revs up enough to trigger the skip. I typically shift into 2nd around 10mph to keep the experience smooth as 1st is very short for my around town driving. It amazes me that I've altered my style to the point that it never happens, whether I'm babying it to keep it from skipping or even if I'm driving as it was intended. I'll chalk that up to good fortune.:grin2:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ha! I know about the Sport mode throttle - the first time I engage it (after driving a bit) I rev a bit more when taking off from a stop (M6) and then I quickly re-adjust to that...

You should see how jumpy a 392 / A8 combo is for Sport mode - I would not drive in stop & go traffic with that...way too touchy.
There is a 392 in my future but it's gotta be the M6. I have the ZF8 speed in my Durango and it is the best auto I've ever had. I had feared that it would tame the car too much so that's one of the reasons I wanted a manual but after reading on here it sounds like depending on the mode it can be pretty sweet in it's own right. I was dead set on the manual so I never even tried an A8. I've never had the same car twice or even the slightest desire...until now.

·
Premium Member
2015 Scat Pack
80 Posts
Best 15 bucks I spent on the car so far. I picked it up from SpeedLogix during a Black Friday sale. The skip shift annoyed the heck out of me. Installation is a piece of cake and it works perfectly. Its silly to change your driving habits over something so easy to fix.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
133 Posts
Digging this old thread up, I can say that I have never experienced the effects of this "feature" on my purchased new 2019 SP. It is mentioned in the manual. What gives?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,731 Posts
I have experienced it a couple of times on my 5.7 which does not have as much low end grunt of a 6.4. Some say it is easy to drive around...I just disabled it in the tune as it really adds no value. I mean, I don't need the PCM to tell me I can't shift into 2nd or 3rd if I want fuel economy...plus the 5.7 really struggle with that 1st to 4th shift.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It goes without saying that I don't need the tranny to lock me out of a gear. Ridiculous. But it hasn't done it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I’ve always scratched my head about this thing. Occasionally I will see the “shift 1-4” (or something like that) message on my EVIC when I’m putting along - but the transmission still goes into 2nd easily. That said - I did buy the car used so maybe it had the skip shift eliminator installed. (?). But it has never once forced me into 4th.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I will also add that I frequently skip gears, 1-3, etc , start in 2nd, if appropriate for the conditions. I have a commercial stick license and am well aware of the workings of a transmission.

·
Registered
14,049 Posts
Digging this old thread up, I can say that I have never experienced the effects of this "feature" on my purchased new 2019 SP. It is mentioned in the manual. What gives?
Either you drive it hard enough to where it won't engage or you're in Sport Mode where it's automatically disabled. It will only hit if you try to shift out of 1st at light throttle and at exactly 2000 rpm, above or below 2000 and you won't see it.

So it gives a prompt on the display? Haven't seen that....
Only thru 2014, on 2015 and newer the skip shift message was removed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ok, no message. I will shift at the prescribed temp, rpm, and throttle points tomorrow and try to find this thing. If it's there I am going to disable it.

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,312 Posts
It never happened to me, but I still installed the skip shift eliminator to ensure it never would.

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,312 Posts
It doesn't much matter what the vehicle is doing right now. The whole point of this is that it will bite you in the butt when you least expect it, and need to accelerate. The solution only costs about $20.00, and is the second least expensive mod for a Challenger...

·
Registered
14,049 Posts
If you can't make it do it then I wouldn't worry about it. For 2017 and newer Sport Mode will disable it, maybe yours is disabled in all models for whatever reason.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

21 - 39 of 39 Posts