Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering how owners have found the extended service plans for the Challenger? How much did you pay, how has it payed off for you? Have you been denied service due to an associated mod you may have made? Please fill in anything else I may have missed. I'm on the fence with this one...
Thanks,
CR

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think it is a smart move to get one. In my families history we have had 2 engines replaced by extended warranties. That alone probably equaled the total we've put into purchasing them...breaking even...that is not counting the little things covered by them!

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
It's cheap insurance for peace of mind. One major failure and it will pay for itself.
The problem is, you have to be cautious when you do mods on the car, things like SC's, engine work like heads and cams will pretty much render the extended policy useless. So if you pretty much intend to keep the power plant stock, you need an extended plan like this. If not, then don't bother because not even the factory will protect you.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Keep in mind, this is just one guy's opinon, nothing more - but I don't go for the extended warranties. Couple of reasons - every new car sold in the US comes with a pretty solid warranty for the stuff that matters (powertrain, transmission, etc). They don't cover normal wear (brake pads, rotors, and a host of other things that will eventually wear out over time and need replacement) or routine maintenance (although some vehicles come with free stuff like oil changes, etc. for up to 4 years or 40K miles). So, the way I look at it - pretty much everyone guarantees the major components of their cars for around 4 - 5 years. So, buying an extended warranty is like buying insurance more or less. You're paying extra on the off chance (IMO) that something big is going to break after 4 - 5 years. The way I see it, cars today, if properly maintained are good for an easy 100K miles, maybe more - so why pay for the extra warranty coverage? If something is going to break because of a manufacturing problem, odds are it will happen in the first couple of years. Anything after that is less a manufacturing issue, and more a longevity issue. The car manufacturers know their product - and they know with proper care it will last for a very long time. To me, its just another way to make some additional profit; odds are in their favor that big stuff won't break - they've tested, engineered, modeled, etc. They know the odds. Kind of like going to Vegas - sure, anyone can walk in and win big - but how often does that happen? 99 out of a 100 times, the house wins - they can afford the occasional "big win" because its rare compared to the thousands who place bets and lose every minute. Likewise with extended warranties IMO - while something major could go wrong, and then it easily pays for itself, the odds are it won't. So, that extra money you spend is just more profit for the car folks in the long run. Again - just my opinion. I buy all my cars new - keep them for an average of 6 - 8 years, and I've never, ever had anything other than routine maintenance issues with any of them the past 20+ years. But, there are those who find a lot of peace of mind in an extended warranty, and like I mentioned - the first time something big breaks, it pays for itself. But (IMO) odds are - it probably won't 99 out of a 100 times. Bottom line - its your comfort level that matters, so do what gives you peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Here's my take on the extended warranties:

1. Don't buy them at the selling dealer when you buy the car. You have until 12 months/12K miles to buy the warranty at the exact same price. I'm using that 12 months to determine if I'm going to keep the car past the 36 month/36K mile time period. If it's a problem child during this first year, it will be gone in 3.
2. Check the internet for prices. Best I've found is a Chrysler dealership under Harold Ziegler. I got a coupon in the mail from Chrysler last week for $150 off. I was pricing the 6 yr 70K mile $50 deductible Maximum Care plan. Their first price was $1800 and change. Ziegler was $1200 and change. I told them, they came down to $1400. I asked if that included my "coupon" and they said yes. The moral to this story is there is a huge profit margin on these plans.
3. Even the "Maximum Care" has exclusions. The biggest one in my mind is it excludes body parts and all plastics. If you peruse this forum you'll find Chrysler has a lot of issues with plastic parts breaking. Looks like we're on our own with these after 3 years.
4. An extended warranty would seem to worth a lot more to the owners of automatics, since those trannnies are covered. No coverage for the clutch, but no discount offered to manual drivers either.
5. Do the calculations on how much you drive and how much deductible you're willing to pay. Both these factors greatly affect the cost of the plan.

Personally, I hope my car turns out to be agood one. I'll happily buy the plan in about 8 months, and if I never have to use it, that's fine with me. It's a PIA to take the thing in anyhow.

·
Registered
940 Posts
SRT8's only have a 3/36 the extended warranty is the best thing you could do. I found one for 1200.00, 0 deductible,7 year but only 50K on the miles. My car is 2 1/2 years old and only has 13K thats why I went this route. Just my 2 cents!!!!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
An extended warranty is a huge money maker for the dealer and a waste of money imo. I don't get them for two reasons, I don't keep my cars very long, and the chance of major drivetrain failures is minimal. As of 2010, Chryselr has dropped the lifetime non-tranferrable powertrain warranty and replaced it with a 5yr/100,000 transferrable powertrain warranty which includes SRT models.

Auburn Hills -- Chrysler Group LLC said Wednesday that it is dropping its lifetime powertrain warranty in favor of a five-year, 100,000-mile guarantee.

Chrysler spokesman Rick Deneau said the decision was driven by market research that showed consumers prefer warranties with a fixed time period. Powertrain warranties typically cover repair or replacement of transmission and engine parts.

"Basically, the assumption of a lifetime warranty just wasn't that big a deal to consumers," Deneau said.

The 5-year, 100,000-mile warranties will be transferable to new owners if the vehicles are sold before they run out, he said. The previous lifetime warranties were not transferable.

The new warranty program also includes the automaker's SRT and Viper models, which were excluded from the lifetime warranty. But the Sprinter van and the diesel version of the Ram pickup remain excluded, Deneau said.

The change is effective with the start of the 2010 model year. -AP-

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I would tend to agree with most of the posters on this one in that all extended warranties, whether for autos, appliances, electronics or even shoes, are real money makers for the companies. It has been shown that the sale of extended warranties are so profitable that most companies offer them now on just about everything under the sun.

That being said I will also add that it depends on whether the vehicle is intended as a daily driver, how many miles you put on it each year and how long you plan on keeping it.

I did not do the extended on my girl as she is a fair weather lady who hibernates in the winter time. So very little mileage is intended each year. I also plan on keeping her until I die and they have to pry the key fob from my hand.

Actually I have thought about how I can be buried in her. I figure if they now have those triple size plus coffins for the obese then they should not have any issues with a Challenger, especially since she has the nice white leather seats :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
If you intend to buy, buy only the Chrysler plan. DO NOT BUY AFTERMARKET. I had an aftermarket salesman tell me all TSBs are fully covered. I read the contract. It specifically excluded any TSBs. He would'nt even admit it after I read it to him. Lied to my face. Also, aftermarket warranties are famous for using any little excuse to deny coverage. Just do an internet search and you'l find there is page after page of denied claims for BS excuses. Even the Chrysler plan has exculpatory languauge that you may find not to your liking. Read it carefully!

·
Registered
460 Posts
With few exceptions, I generally don't purchase extended warranties. The business model is built around the likelihood that you won't need any repairs, let alone several that total more than the value of the contract or the cost of the item.

That said, my Challenger is the exception to the the above rule. I don't intend to ever sell the car and hope to live for a very long time to come :) Honestly, I imagine I'll have a few repairs needed over 30 years or so. Thus, the lifetime warranty seemed like a good option to me and I don't really anticipate Chrysler going anywhere.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My dealer told me the lifetime warranty would cost about 3k. It has a $100 deductible. The first seven years include road side assistance and a free rental when your car is laid up. After the 3 yr/36 month factory warranty,
there's a very good chance the check engine light is going to come on; bad sensors, fuel injectors, electronics, etc. If you plan on keeping your car for a long time (as I do) this gives you good peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I got the extended warranty on my car because I've always wanted a car that I took care of my way to own from the start. I'll keep it forever unless I snap under the temptation of something faster (392...392, assuming its ever financially possible...not likely). I can say that in my first year I've yet to use any of my warranty. I'll let you know in another 365 days. I plan to drive the car until the engine goes out to get my money's worth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts