Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Same can be said for home and car insurance, but everyone still pays those.
My state says I have to have liability insurance on my vehicle in order to drive it, the cost of comp and collision is just a few dollars more on a policy I already have.

If one of my cars breaks down it can get set aside for a few weeks or months if a big $$$ repair comes along,
I can't hardly do that when my house burns down, not to mention the investment in my house and contents is easily 10-15 times what I have invested in my car.

Some places insurance makes sense, others it doesn't.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My state says I have to have liability insurance on my vehicle in order to drive it, the cost of comp and collision is just a few dollars more on a policy I already have.

If one of my cars breaks down it can get set aside for a few weeks or months if a big $$$ repair comes along,
I can't hardly do that when my house burns down, not to mention the investment in my house and contents is easily 10-15 times what I have invested in my car.

Some places insurance makes sense, others it doesn't.
Well..I can't "set a car aside". I only own one car at a time. When I buy a car (which isn't often) I make sure it is the most car I can afford for for the money. If I can throw down a couple more bucks in to make sure my only car stays on the road, then so be it.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
So weve established some people think EWs are not cost effective. others would rather be safe than sorry.

Can't people just agree to disagree and talk about our cars instead of having a p!$$ing contest over personal financial decisions?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I think you have to ask yourself if you're going to own the car for more than 3 yrs...

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you need an extended warranty because you have difficulty paying for car repairs, you shouldn't own a $32,000 Challenger or Charger. Buy a new Honda Civic for $20,000, put the $12,000 in the bank to cover repairs for the next 250,000 miles. You will be money ahead.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think you have to ask yourself if you're going to own the car for more than 3 yrs...
I always do...the last car I had for almost 9 years. I've owned cars for over 20 years now. In that time, I've owned a total 6 vehicles (including the $200 beaters I drove in high school). The two I had before that I owned for five years each. I always play the "long game" when it comes to car ownership.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Are you sure? With the lifetime Chrysler warranty on our 2014 Durango,we absolutely can get a prorated refund for selling the vehicle, trading it in, wrecking it, whatever based upon a 7 year proration scale. I don't recall the mileage proration offhand, either 70k, 84k, or 100k. I can't imagine the policy would be different for Challengers.
I was going by the fact that ChryslerWarrantys.com offers a premium on their 7 year plans if you want a "Money Back Guarantee". Maybe that doesn't prorate, as you had experienced, or includes some other protection. But that's good to know they prorate. Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

I would think any kind of warranty bought during the manufacturer's warranty, and not used (assuming the vehicle is totaled or traded in) would be worthy of a 100% refund since it was never used.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you need an extended warranty because you have difficulty paying for car repairs, you shouldn't own a $32,000 Challenger or Charger. Buy a new Honda Civic for $20,000, put the $12,000 in the bank to cover repairs for the next 250,000 miles. You will be money ahead.
People don't get extended warranties cause they can't pay for repairs, they get them for many reasons main two, 1 don't wanna pay for repairs, 2 don't trust the quality of the car company so they get a little piece of mind.

·
Registered
118 Posts
2 don't trust the quality of the car company so they get a little piece of mind.
I don't see it as not trusting the quality of the product. If you really plan to keep this car for a while, and drive alot, things will eventually break down. I don't care if it's a Honda Civic or Dodge Challenger, when you're ODO hits 100k+ stuff will happen. The power window motor can stop working, the TPS (throttle position system) can go out, or the transition can blow. Anything can happen.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't see it as not trusting the quality of the product. If you really plan to keep this car for a while, and drive alot, things will eventually break down. I don't care if it's a Honda Civic or Dodge Challenger, when you're ODO hits 100k+ stuff will happen. The power window motor can stop working, the TPS (throttle position system) can go out, or the transition can blow. Anything can happen.
Well coming from Toyotas I have 200k on 4runner and none of that ever happened, only recalls and maintenance has my 4runner ever been at the shop.

Knock on wood..;-)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts