Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying an '09 R/T; has only 6,500 miles on it but only 15 months left on the original 3/36 warranty. As the second owner I lose the lifetime powertrain warranty. Has anyone had a decent experience with third party extended warranty providers? I've read many war stories about non-covered items, normal wear and tear issues, non-reimbursement for things that should be covered, etc. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I had a used Jaguar that I purchased a warranty for $2K. I had a $7k service bill and the warranty company paid $5k. They should have covered it all but didn't. They also didn't allow the dealer to buy the parts. They shipped it to them. I guess the warranty contract saved me money, but I wasn't doing backflips because they should have covered the whole bill. I forget the name of the company, but it was the largest in the country.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Are you buying the R/T from a Dodge dealer? Ask if it qualifies for a Chrysler Certified Pre-Owned Warranty. I bought a used 09 SRT8 with 4400 miles and got the Chrysler Certified Pre-Owned Warranty for around $1800. Covers everything includung wheels and tires (road hazard) for 80K and the drive train for 100K.

·
Banned
557 Posts
I'm not saying some 3rd party vendors don't exist that are good, but I seem to always hear about how 3rd party warranty service sucks. Buying a warranty is an odds game anyhow (a large % never use it) so why not get an authentic Dodge extended warranty and have some reassurance that if you are one of the small %'s that need it, then it will be there to do what it's supposed to do.

Dodge Service Contracts Home

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm not saying some 3rd party vendors don't exist that are good, but I seem to always hear about how 3rd party warranty service sucks. Buying a warranty is an odds game anyhow (a large % never use it) so why not get an authentic Dodge extended warranty and have some reassurance that if you are one of the small %'s that need it, then it will be there to do what it's supposed to do.

Dodge Service Contracts Home
This. :pimp:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I would stay away from 3rd party warranty companies. In this day when companies just shut their doors at the drop of a hat, I would hesitate sending them my money in the hope they will be around when I need them.

I just bought a new Challenger, and I'm considering getting an extended warranty, but it will be from Chrysler. Heck, given the past couple of years, knowing that Chrysler will be around in 2014 is a roll of the dice.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I got my dealer to price match chryslerwarrantys.com which IMO is a good deal.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I would stay away from 3rd party warranty companies. In this day when companies just shut their doors at the drop of a hat, I would hesitate sending them my money in the hope they will be around when I need them.

I just bought a new Challenger, and I'm considering getting an extended warranty, but it will be from Chrysler. Heck, given the past couple of years, knowing that Chrysler will be around in 2014 is a roll of the dice.
+1 - Google the name of the extended warranty company and I think you'll se why most people who do their homework don't buy third party warranties.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
I could write a book on "the bad" of dealing with and having extended 3rd party warrantees.

DONT'T DO IT

Bottom line, if you drive a Chrsler product, buy a Chrysler Service Contract. Same goes for any make.....ford/ford, chevy/chevy.

Great coverage is offered, and you don't have to worry about them going out of business. The government has guaranteed that if Chrysler goes any direction with future ownership of the company, that all extened service contracts will be honored as they we written.

Dealers sell them, I think that they are available on line, and they are the only way to go IMO.

·
Registered
177 Posts
"I would stay away from 3rd party warranty companies. In this day when companies just shut their doors at the drop of a hat, I would hesitate sending them my money in the hope they will be around when I need them."

x1 Stay CLEAR of third party warranty companies. I've been personnaly burned twice. When I called them on the phone for a claim ...you guessed it ...they went belly up and no doubt resurfaced as a new company to rip another bunch of people off. Stick with Chyrsler ...good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
save your money for a Blower, then you won't need a warranty

·
Registered
726 Posts
Risk, Risk, Risk

I owned an '04 VW R32 with all the bells and whistles and felt compelled to have a good warranty which led me to warrantydirect.com. They were highly rated at the time. Never had a claim and when I sold my red beauty a year later had no problems getting my money refunded. However, if you can go with the manufacturer w/o breaking the bank then I recommend that first.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great input. I asked them to quote the extended Chrysler warranty and it was $1800 for 6years/70K miles through the Dodge dealer. Now, this warranty starts when the car was first titled two years ago but I still get a 4 new years and plenty of miles. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The vehicle is still in basic warranty. It should qualify for a lifetime maximum care warranty. You can get coverage beyond what that dealer is quoting you. Make sure you check the website and shop other dealers in the area for price quotes. You can finance a plan with ZERO interest. Shop further before you buy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts