Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...my 2013 R/T's extended warranty that I had bought is about to be expired. I got something in the mail from the stealership about extended coverage. I'm up in the air about it. I bought the car new in June 2013, and I have only had to take it in once for warranty work. It was for an O2 sensor that went bad, and that happened as soon as I drove off the gas pump..I think I got some bad gas that day. Have not had another single problem with it at all. This new plan they are offering would cost some $3700 dollars over the next 6 years for an additional 60,000 miles of coverage. I guess it would be nice to hear some differing opinions from some of you guys. Have some of you that have a Challenger that is as old or older had a ton of problems? Or has yours been pretty reliable?

I also have an older vehicle, an 02 Durango..I never did get an extended warranty on it. I really can't say I have had much trouble with it either, usually when I did, I would just pay for it. I'm financially sound, and I have plenty of money saved up, and I try to invest as well. I'm just torn. Is this offer a good deal or is it just wasted money?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought the lifetime/unlimited mileage MaxCare Mopar warranty for my Challenger.
Unlike you, I'm not particularly "sound" at the moment (freshly divorced, unemployed, living with my son, no tools, chronic mild physical disabilities, 50 years old). I felt it was my best option, considering everything.

I paid just about $3000 for this factory warranty on my 2015 that had 36,200 miles on it, when I bought it used (last year). I priced out & purchased the Mopar warranty from "Zeigler" online.

If your vehicle has been reliable, & you're financially capable of covering unexpected repairs, then I would just take the chance & NOT buy the extended coverage.

In my situation I have felt buying was best for me, each time. Once I got it on a car that needed several transmission repairs, so I got my "money's worth"... this car it was "best" because of my changed life circumstances. For me, unexpected repair bills would be huge financial burden and seriously diminish my enjoyment of the car.

Whichever way your gut leads you will be what's "right" for you, imo!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lou for your reply. Sorry to hear about your recent troubles. When I bought my car I had never even heard of the Lifetime warranty option. I certainly do not remember them telling me about it when I purchased the car, I prob would have bought it. Have you had any trouble with your car?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks.
I didn't know about it either, but I had my last ride 17 years, so...

I lost a hubby, gained a Challenger...It Looks like I came out ahead on this one. lol ???
Just hoping my car turns out to be as reliable as yours. So far, so good!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol I hear you..I'm divorced as well. I think I'll stick with my Challenger. It loves me know matter what lol.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For $3700, why not save that money and tap it when needed as self insurance? How many failures will be that high?
Good point! I was thinking along those same lines as well..I mean I don't even drive the car everyday..it's garage kept, I baby it pretty much and make sure I always get the oil changed at regular intervals and other things recommended in the owner's manual. I'm still debating it some, but I think I'll probably pass on the extended warranty.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,045 Posts
So...my 2013 R/T's extended warranty that I had bought is about to be expired. I got something in the mail from the stealership about extended coverage. I'm up in the air about it. I bought the car new in June 2013, and I have only had to take it in once for warranty work. It was for an O2 sensor that went bad, and that happened as soon as I drove off the gas pump..I think I got some bad gas that day. Have not had another single problem with it at all. This new plan they are offering would cost some $3700 dollars over the next 6 years for an additional 60,000 miles of coverage. I guess it would be nice to hear some differing opinions from some of you guys. Have some of you that have a Challenger that is as old or older had a ton of problems? Or has yours been pretty reliable?

I also have an older vehicle, an 02 Durango..I never did get an extended warranty on it. I really can't say I have had much trouble with it either, usually when I did, I would just pay for it. I'm financially sound, and I have plenty of money saved up, and I try to invest as well. I'm just torn. Is this offer a good deal or is it just wasted money?
It's a matter of individual preference. A head unit replacement out of warranty may exceed $2000. A transmission, rear end, engine... If you would be on your deathbed (lifetime warranty), and kick yourself for spending the $ if you never used it, don't do it. If you are of a mind if you don't have it, you'll need it. If you'd rather have the peace of mind, and would be happy to never use it, knowing it's likely because you bought one, do it. IF you decide to renew, contact supporting vendor @stevewhiteparts for pricing comparison.

A Guys opinion in no way represents the opinion of Challengertalk.com. AutoGuide.com, or VerticalScope.com >:)

Wow!! Ive never heard of lifetime car care coverage.. I bought my 2016 just a month ago...
Should they have told me about this??
They don't offer lifetime on Scat Pack any more. Since mid 2016

A Guy

·
Registered
643 Posts
I paid 1000 to extend my warranty to 5 year 85,000 miles. I drive about 17,000 miles a year.

For $2300 I could have had the lifetime warranty from the manufacturer. My car is a 17 scatpack. I think I should have got the life time maybe. I don't know where I will be in 5 years.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
I read an article the other day and something like 80% of extended warranties on everything never pay out or are used, which means the house wins. I hate the terms piece of mind or sleep well at night, thats hogwash. You need to do the numbers and look at it logically. If your going to keep the car forever which again another eye roll, buying a lifetime warranty maybe makes sense. With that being said pre-paying for maint. that might not happen is a bad idea financially, people can quote what ifs all they want and sure some do take advantage of it, but in general when you look at failure rates they are very low on componets. Worst part about it is people typically roll these into loans or finance them, so now they are being charged interest on maint that may never happen. realistically your best option is to take that money save it get your interest and have it ready for a rainy day.

·
Registered
643 Posts
if you get the warranty from the manufacturer not the dealership warranty. i think it's worth it. I heard the service departments will want to service ur car because they will get the full and maximum payment for the warranty work from Dodge. Whereas if you get the dealership warranty they are most likely going to make it tough. What i heard, not sure if it's true.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
if you get the warranty from the manufacturer not the dealership warranty. i think it's worth it. I heard the service departments will want to service ur car because they will get the full and maximum payment for the warranty work from Dodge. Whereas if you get the dealership warranty they are most likely going to make it tough. What i heard, not sure if it's true.

FWIW its worth most shop rates at dealers are more than what warranty pays. I was in for my truck the other day at ford, and shop rate is 80 bucks, I think ford pays out 45-50 bucks on warranty. Dollar for dollar dealers would prefer non warranty work, but most good ones love warranty work as its a steady stream of income and its guaranteed. Also dealerships sell the extended manufactures warranties as well.

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
If the warranty is a Chrysler warranty, they pay the labor rate of the dealer, or it's "negotiated" with them.

Bottom line, the customer pays nothing other than the deductible on the extended Chrysler warranty.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If the warranty is a Chrysler warranty, they pay the labor rate of the dealer, or it's "negotiated" with them.

Bottom line, the customer pays nothing other than the deductible on the extended Chrysler warranty.
Ive seen where its negotiated as well, but doubtful its more like said above.. But like I said I believe ford pays quite a bit less than what the shops are asking. A good dealer should still like warranty work as its guaranteed business.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have to concur with others. Even if you do keep it for a lifetime, bank the money that would have gone to the warranty monthly. The odds are in your favor that you will either never use it or never rack up enough in repairs to justify it. I did but the extended warranty from the dealer one time when the wife got a new 2003 Dodge Durango and I can tell you that it was a real pain in the a__ when it came time to use it to replace rear end gears. The hassle that I went through was just not worth it. I would rather pay as I go but be disciplined enough to put aside money monthly for maintenance. I know that it is really tempting if you are taking a loan as rolling the warranty in appears on the surface to only cost a few dollars more per month. To me they are a rip off. Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
If you do decide to get an extended warranty, I highly recommend you contact Luke at Steve White Motors (CT Sponsor). Luke had the best price by far when I shopped around. Got a warranty for my Ram.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts