Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Shaker • F8 Green • 5.7 Liter Hemi • 6 Speed Manual
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dunno if this is off topic here. If so, please advise where to post this.

I've personally never found value in extended warranties. Seems like any time I had a problem it was NEVER covered by the plan. This applies to everything from vehicles to toasters. So far they have been a total waste of time.

That said, I don't want to just blow off the option out of hand. Cars are complicated and repairs are expensive. I'm increasingly not able to do the work myself due to the need for specialized equipment and so on.

I think a 5 year, 85,000 mile plan would fit my needs best, assuming it actually pays for any needed repairs. No dealership I have talked to so far was willing to just give me a sheet of paper with the prices for all plans listed on it so I don't know if the 5/85k is the best value. Seems like the major price jumps are by mileage not years. 6 years/100k would probably be ideal for me. I've also been told that there is a major discount for veterans so I wanted to independently verify that this is true.

Also want to verify the claim that if you don't take the extended warranty at signing there is a big financial hit if you wait a few months to buy it. The 100% refund if you never use it promise is attractive (if true). But the fact is that if I go 5/85k with no problems I will be VERY happy with my car even though the warranty was never needed. I'm seriously into old age so I will likely drop dead before my car does. :)

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide body A8 in Go Mango
137 Posts
I’m also older and purchased my SPWB as a retirement present to myself. Probably the last new car I will ever buy as I plan on keeping this one.
When I purchased my car, my dealership offered me a lifetime or 100,000 mile warranty. Also, if I decide to sell the car later, the warranty is transferable. I’ve never been much for warranties either, but with all the computerized gadgets these new cars come with it sounded like a good deal.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was given the veteran's price of $2010 for an 8 yr/85k extended warranty. Wondering what the price for the lifetime/100k plan is?

I agree with you that IF the program actually covers what they claim, it's good piece of mind insurance. But in my past experience, that assumption is a very big IF.

My situation may be unique since it is highly unlikely that I will still be above ground in 8 years. I traded in my 21 year old MB E-320 that only had 70k miles on the clock (although I travel by motorcycle a LOT) so I'm not a high mileage guy. When I go on long road trips I typically rent a car. The chances of me living long enough to put on 100k miles on the new Challenger would be very optimistic.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,904 Posts
Make sure warranties are factory plans, and not a third party company.

Lot's of dealers offer extended warranties that are shakey at best.

FWIW, Luke at Steve White can quote you Chrysler warranties, and details of each warranty.

They're a forum sponsor, and don't sell third party stuff.

Best of luck deciding

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,719 Posts
If it's a Lifetime warranty, it's not factory. Chrysler Lifetime Warranty program ended in December of 2018, and no lifetime on 6.4L and 6.2L a while before that

A Guy

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
I wouldn't bother with 3rd party warranties - some are really bad about denying claims.

I've gone with manufacturer extended warranties - I had a bad differential in my '09 (41K started to show symptoms) with bearings.

another vehicle I had (didn't buy extended warranty) had bad thrust bearing on crank with M5 transmission. ended replacing the engine with a crate long block - and that was the last GM vehicle I was going to ever own...

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,324 Posts
Neighbor got soaked on a 3rd party for a hefty sum 2 months after purchase / qualify and shop verification he went to use it and some one looked at his car to do some supposed covered work said the vehicle was altered when nothing was touched they denied and cancelled his policy. He's got a lawyer but was told don't hold breath luckily his lawyer is a old school buddy.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I would NEVER buy a 3rd party warranty. The only reason these are sold is because the 3rd party selling them intends to make a profit from every sale. I purchased a 3rd party warranty in 1988 when I bought a new Ramcharger. Back then the Dodge warranty was 36,000 miles or 36 months. I hit 50,000 miles on the 1st anniversary of buying the car so I needed the coverage. I had an issue supposedly covered that the warranty company refused to cover. I went to the dealer and asked for a total refund of the warranty cost. He refused. He finally gave me the full refund on about the 15th or 16th consecutive day I was in his dealership complaining to his F&I manager. For the amount of money involved, I can be a total PITA. (y)

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody - Octane Red
10 Posts
Make sure warranties are factory plans, and not a third party company.

Lot's of dealers offer extended warranties that are shakey at best.

FWIW, Luke at Steve White can quote you Chrysler warranties, and details of each warranty.

They're a forum sponsor, and don't sell third party stuff.

Best of luck deciding
Agreed 100% on going with the OEM factory plans and dealing with Luke at Steve White.

I have to say I had a good experience with the dealer I purchased my SP WB from, but they couldn't come close to the quote I got from Luke (thank you ChallengerTalk Forum). When I told the folks at the dealer how much I had purchased the 8yr/85K Maximum Care ($100 deductible) OEM extended warranty for from Luke and the folks at Steve White they were gobsmacked. They admitted it was a great deal that they couldn't match.

Given the fact that Challengers of recent vintage have a very good reputation with respect to reliability and repairs, I may not need the benefits of the Max Care warranty as much as I did on my Durango (the Max Care plan on that paid for itself three times over), but the cost of the warranty spread over the five years of coverage in addition to the standard 3yr/36K "Bumper-to-Bumper" FCA/Stallantis warranty is relatively small compared to the peace of mind it provides.

As for pressure from the dealer to buy the extended warranty then and there at signing, ignore it. I purchased my Challenger's Max Care warranty within the first 100 miles of taking delivery of the car.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Dunno if this is off topic here. If so, please advise where to post this.

I've personally never found value in extended warranties. Seems like any time I had a problem it was NEVER covered by the plan. This applies to everything from vehicles to toasters. So far they have been a total waste of time.

That said, I don't want to just blow off the option out of hand. Cars are complicated and repairs are expensive. I'm increasingly not able to do the work myself due to the need for specialized equipment and so on.

I think a 5 year, 85,000 mile plan would fit my needs best, assuming it actually pays for any needed repairs. No dealership I have talked to so far was willing to just give me a sheet of paper with the prices for all plans listed on it so I don't know if the 5/85k is the best value. Seems like the major price jumps are by mileage not years. 6 years/100k would probably be ideal for me. I've also been told that there is a major discount for veterans so I wanted to independently verify that this is true.

Also want to verify the claim that if you don't take the extended warranty at signing there is a big financial hit if you wait a few months to buy it. The 100% refund if you never use it promise is attractive (if true). But the fact is that if I go 5/85k with no problems I will be VERY happy with my car even though the warranty was never needed. I'm seriously into old age so I will likely drop dead before my car does. :)
Extended warranties are almost (always) a bad idea. They are a very high profit item for those who offer them (Best Buy will sell you an extended warranty on a pencil). This is why they are pushed so fervently. A better approach recommended by professionals is if you are going to spend 2k on a warranty put that money into a good investment account (risk stratification is up to you). Let the money grow and only use it for repairs you can't handle out of pocket (major repairs). In almost every instance you will have money left over at the end of owning the car or the end of the warranty you would've bought. As was previously stated, the first reason for their existence is to deny claims or approve inadequate repairs (band-aids) not to serve the customer. Caveat Emptor!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,719 Posts
Warranties are of course a money maker, otherwise the business model sucks, lol. But, devil's advocate: How many will actually put the $2,000 away? Saying you do, and spend it (and maybe more) when you need say, a new transmission...what happens when the next year you need a new radio as well? ;)

I believe it's one of two choices with warranties. Take your chances and hope it works out (as a group, it should, but you personally...?). Get a warranty and have that peace of mind

A Guy

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,904 Posts
Warranties are of course a money maker, otherwise the business model sucks, lol. But, devil's advocate: How many will actually put the $2,000 away? Saying you do, and spend it (and maybe more) when you need say, a new transmission...what happens when the next year you need a new radio as well? ;)

I believe it's one of two choices with warranties. Take your chances and hope it works out (as a group, it should, but you personally...?). Get a warranty and have that peace of mind

A guy
Agreed. There's a lot of folks financing their rides.

Setting money "a side" isn't an option for many.

Threads have been coming up for a year or more with folks having power steering issues. Not appearing to be a wide spread problem, but it is happening to several.

No biggy right. Well, the only fix is a complete rack. $3k + for a new rack.

Like stated, take the chance, pay the repair if needed, or buy a Chrysler Warranty.

If money is no issue to an individual, the same applies.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Check out this thread on the Charger forum.

Use the dealer link mentioned in posting #9 and be sure to enter the redemption code as mentioned in posting #23.

What's nice about the factory extended warranty is the money back guarantee if you don't file a claim during the life of the plan. But you do have keep the vehicle for the whole time. Or you can transfer the plan.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,440 Posts
Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts

A guy
Yes, this is a worst case scenario (assuming you can even get the warranty people to pay up. Which can be very difficult) But, the vast majority of cars do not suffer major failures during the time that they are eligible for extended warranties. Hence their profit machine. If this is a serious sense of worry for you and you don't go with the warranty and you don't put the money into an account you are a victim of your own inability to plan effectively.

Agreed. There's a lot of folks financing their rides.

Setting money "a side" isn't an option for many.

Threads have been coming up for a year or more with folks having power steering issues. Not appearing to be a wide spread problem, but it is happening to several.

No biggy right. Well, the only fix is a complete rack. $3k + for a new rack.

Like stated, take the chance, pay the repair if needed, or buy a Chrysler Warranty.

If money is no issue to an individual, the same applies.
If you have the money to pursue plan A - purchase warranty. Then you have money for plan B - Set the money aside. If you have to finance an extended warranty, you are probably over extending your self financially. Debt is the number one reason for bankruptcy. 100% of repossessed vehicle are financed.

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
When I bought my 20 SP WB, the only warranty they offered me was a 3rd party warranty. I told them no thanks, besides I have a factory 3 year/36K warranty anyways. The kid told me "that won't help you after the first year, because after that they will only replace parts that are defective, and not pay for the labor". Uh, yeah right.

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
When I bought my 20 SP WB, the only warranty they offered me was a 3rd party warranty. I told them no thanks, besides I have a factory 3 year/36K warranty anyways. The kid told me "that won't help you after the first year, because after that they will only replace parts that are defective, and not pay for the labor". Uh, yeah right.
And the 3rd party warranty company will be so responsive and compassionate, right? Ocean front property in Arizona for sale!!!

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,904 Posts
If you have the money to pursue plan A - purchase warranty. Then you have money for plan B - Set the money aside. If you have to finance an extended warranty, you are probably over extending your self financially. Debt is the number one reason for bankruptcy. 100% of repossessed vehicle are financed.
That's why I don't buy a toy and finance it, or anything else for that matter.

I knew when I bought this Challenger, that time would bite me and not miles. Sure enough, 5 1/2 years, 29k trouble free miles.

The Chrysler Max Care Lifetime Warranty was still available when mine was delivered. I bought the warranty for $3100.

A lot of folks around here gave me grief, stating to buy a warranty only after the factory expires. Why pay for a warranty that would really get used for several years? Stupid, right?

I had a gut feeling about getting the Lifetime Warranty right away. I always listen to my gut! Lol

Within two months, Chrysler stopped offering the Lifetime on 392 powered cars.

So yes, I took a gamble, and have had zero issues with this car. Will the next 5+ years be the same?

Don't know, don't care. If a problem with anything pops up, I'll pay my $100 deductable and carry on enjoying my ride.

Not a bad situation to be in for a now retired guy to be in.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,440 Posts
The kid told me "that won't help you after the first year, because after that they will only replace parts that are defective, and not pay for the labor". Uh, yeah right.
No, no, he was right, that is true. Some other facts that should not be questioned:

• Going outside into cold air while your hair is still wet can make you sick.
  • Cops will stop the red car in a pack of speeding motorists.
  • The Farmer’s Almanac is better at predicting weather than flipping a coin.
  • Washing one’s car will induce a rain event.
  • If you <insert some nonsensical action> then you will have <good/bad> luck as a result.

Yes, all of those things are true...each more truer than the last...that is to say none are true...and believing any of them is a complete waste of time and energy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, no, he was right, that is true. Some other facts that should not be questioned:

• Going outside into cold air while your hair is still wet can make you sick.
  • Cops will stop the red car in a pack of speeding motorists.
  • The Farmer’s Almanac is better at predicting weather than flipping a coin.
  • Washing one’s car will induce a rain event.
  • If you <insert some nonsensical action> then you will have <good/bad> luck as a result.

Yes, all of those things are true...each more truer than the last...that is to say none are true...and believing any of them is a complete waste of time and energy.
Humorous. However, my understanding is that "consumables" such as windshield wipers, brake pads and so on will be replaced for free for the first year. After that, only defective parts or labor is covered.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts