Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all..Just purchase new 2010 Srt8 and was offered the extended warranty for $1422, this extends it to 6 years from the 3 year plan that comes with the car. I am new to Dodge/Mopar and was wondering if this is worth getting or not? This is supposed to be employee partner pricing. Do you think its a good price? I dont know anything about challengers, are they expensive to repair? Are there any parts that are prone to fail or break? Thanks for your time and help.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I think they are worth it. I bought one with a pickup in 2000 and in 5 years it more than paid for itself. $1500.00 sounds cheap make sure what you get!!!!!!
Also any car this day and time is outrageous to work on, but with the extended warranty you should be OK. I would do the lowest deductible and the longest time period I could afford. The big question is are you going to keep this car for for the 5 or 6 years if not you will lose money. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'd say its worth it, these cars have quite a few problems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got a lifetime warranty for $1700 for my R/T. I don't know if the SRTs are more but I think $1400 for 6 yrs is too much.
How did you get this so cheap if i may ask? I looked online and it was at least double your price for the lifetime warranty. I'd definitely get one at this price.
Thanks, Ray

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
The new 2009 R/T Challengers came with a lifetime powertrain warranty from Dodge.

Maybe the $1700 covers everything else?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
I just went through this exercise. I checked every online source for genuine Chrysler extended warranties. Once I had my best price I went back to the selling dealership to see if they wanted to match or beat the price... they said buy the one I found online. The prices on the website are not for SRTs but the price for a SRT from this place is still probably the best price you can get - at least it was for me.

Extended Auto Warranty for your Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep Vehicle.* Fast, Free online quotes!

To get the SRT price call Stacy at the dealership. Based on my driving I got the 7 yrs/60K miles (will not hit that mileage I do not believe for my SRT is a pleasure car and not a daily driver).

Look around and get your best price then call Stacy or save your time and just go to Stacy right off the bat.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Lifetime warranty is now available for the SRT8 also....

Cost about $2400.00 bumper to bumper

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
If you're not modding the drivetrain, it'll be worth every penny. I bought the lifetime bumper to bumper on my '10 R/T C.

Unlimited miles/ unlimited time..............as long as I own the car. Yes, there's "fine print", but if all service records are kept, there's no problem.

$2k doesn't get much dealer repair work done, so for me, this was a no brainer getting this warranty

·
Registered
95 Posts
Speaking of...I have a 2010 R/T and on the last oil change, the guy at the dealership noticed I have a lifetime warranty. He said it was a good move to get one on the Challenger since its one of those cars that you will probably keep for a long time to come. Anyways, I asked him what type of mods I can make without voiding warranty, and he pretty much said none. I bought my car with the Mopar CAI already installed and some flowmasters. Its a base model so I guess they were trying to up-sell the car.

I keep hearing conflicting info about what type of things you can and cannot do. I am looking at getting a predator but afraid they will find out even if I put the stock tune back on it. Experiences with the warranty and tunes/mods welcome to chime in.....

BTW i paid $1700 for lifetime....

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
I just went through this exercise. I checked every online source for genuine Chrysler extended warranties. Once I had my best price I went back to the selling dealership to see if they wanted to match or beat the price... they said buy the one I found online. The prices on the website are not for SRTs but the price for a SRT from this place is still probably the best price you can get - at least it was for me.

Extended Auto Warranty for your Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep Vehicle.* Fast, Free online quotes!

To get the SRT price call Stacy at the dealership. Based on my driving I got the 7 yrs/60K miles (will not hit that mileage I do not believe for my SRT is a pleasure car and not a daily driver).

Look around and get your best price then call Stacy or save your time and just go to Stacy right off the bat.

Anyone interested in a extended warranty needs to check this out. I called today unbelievable price, just ask for Stacy like he said.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Anyone interested in a extended warranty needs to check this out. I called today unbelievable price, just ask for Stacy like he said.
I contacted the site that say they will beat anyone's price on the extended warranty. They basically said that I was not telling them the actual price I was offered. So, I just said fine and purchased from Stacy. I got the receipt over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
A word to the wise about these contracts.

These companies are in business to collect your money and then pay out as little as possible because every dollar out the door is one less dollar in someones pocket. Some companies are no more than a scam in which they have this great looking website, good prices etc. But when it comes to collect, you either have trouble finding a service place who wants to deal with them or vice versa or you did not follow procedures to the letter on your claim etc. This is why i got my dealer to match the Chrysler warranties web quote and got myself a genuine manufacturer warranty.

And another tidbit. The BBB is just a big scam as well. BBB listed companies are there because they pay BBB to be there as a customer. Complaints can be wisked away or dismissed at will. Sorry to say but it is true. A quick search found a registered domain related to this.

BBB Scam

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm just starting to shop around for my lifetime...was waiting for my tax return :) Has anyone used any of those listed above for an actual claim? I know our Challengers are all <3 years old, but was hoping someone might have had experience with Chrysler Plans on another vehicle and had some extended warranty repair stories (good or bad) to share.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Hello all..Just purchase new 2010 Srt8 and was offered the extended warranty for $1422, this extends it to 6 years ...
Its a judgement call. If you make it 6 years without a major break then you wasted the money. If you have a major break, then its going to be worth it. I've bought extendeds on my last three vehicles, two Dodges, one Chevy.

At 75,000 the Avalanche dropped the transmission when a sensor went bad and shifted from overdrive to 1st at 75mph. Cratered the transmission. My total cost was $55.00 for a new transmission install.

First Dodge blew a head gasket at 80,000 and was fixed under the extended warranty, my total cost was $35.00. Its a gamble but for the prices of repairs these days doesn't take much in repairs to exceed $1400.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've bought all MOPAR for 2 decades. First you really MUST consider how long you intend to keep the car, and how you will use it. No advice will help you until you decide this. For example, I put 15K miles on my cars generally, but only expect to put 5K on the Challenger. So for me, anything other than a lifetime warranty for the Challenger would be like throwing money into te fireplace. The years will pass before I have any problems. For two cars, I got my money out just barely. I had air conditioner repairs on both, in the 80k mile range, right before the warranty expired. Most MOPAR vehicles (sedans and vans, I should say) will need a transmission overhaul between 90k and 120k miles, in my experience. Those will be beyond most limited extended warranties. So I would advise going for the lifetime warranty for that reason also.

Next, you have to consider your money situation. I was stretched to the limit to get the car. Whatever I would pay for the warranty, I would be paying interest on. I probably won't need the benefits of the lifetime warranty for about 10 to 15 years based on my expected use and expected failure timeframe, and I have the 5 yr/100K powertrain warranty for free anyway. So in other words, for me the warranty won't be that great a deal. But if you are going to be putting more miles on, or have the money on hand to make the purchase, the warranty starts to make more sense. As has been mentioned, check the deductible and limitations carefully. Also, figure where you are likely to have the car serviced, what you will repair yourself anyway, what firends you have to help diagnose things. You have to figure all this in before you make the decision. I did get a lifetime warranty on my Caliber, and it is a good feeling, but I also know for near a fact that I'll get at least one transmission from them, since I'll keep that car for 20 years also.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Also, you MUST decide what type of person you are: person #1, concerned about buying a Dodge, but takes the chance. Sleeps well at night knowing they are covered with full warranty - doesn't even remember what the warranty cost them 3 years later, but knows they never worried.

Person # 2, 10 years later, has the records to show they paid $2400.00, discovers they got $2395 of value, feels ripped off for $5 difference!

Person #3, gets calculator our, looks at upfront cost, calculates interest cost, lost investment opportunity, deductibles, etc. Does 3 hours of analysis.

Person #4. Buys lifetime warranty, trades car in after one year for the 392, the plum crazy, the new cuda, the convertible R/T, whatever.

ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL! You have to decide your comfort level, and how your needs fit into the offer. I generally do not find extended warranties are worth it, or just barely. A lifetime warranty is a different matter, but only if you are sticking with the car long term. Are you in love with it, or just infatuated?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts