Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Extended warranty

• Yes

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 50.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Redeye
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2019 Hellcat with 2386 miles on it and at the time the dealer asked me if I wanted the extended warranty and I refused.

I'd like to hear from some of the owners that bought it and didn't need it and didn't buy it and wish they did.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,439 Posts
Who was the backing party for the extended warranty, FCA or a third party company?

There is a case to made for an extended warranty from the former, but it is never a good idea to purchase a warranty run by the latter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my 2019 Hellcat with 2386 miles on it and at the time the dealer asked me if I wanted the extended warranty and I refused.

I'd like to hear from some of the owners that bought it and didn't need it and didn't buy it and wish they did.
My extended warranty was $1500, but they included 10 full synthetic oil changes. So it was a no brainier.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
My extended warranty was $1500, but they included 10 full synthetic oil changes. So it was a no brainier.
I've read a lot of angry comments that this type of deal has some half truth baked in somewhere. As in, it's only semi synthetic, or free up to a certain dollar limit per change ($65 per change for the particular comment I remember).

·
Registered
203 Posts
My oil change package has always provided 7 qts 0W40 Pennzoil and a Dodge (Black) filter. No charge for the extra qts. That is a specifically synthetic package.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,439 Posts
what are the terms and conditions of those oil changes? do you get the free oil changes at any dodge dealership, or do you have to return to the dealership at which it was purchased to get the free oil changes?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts

Extended warranty runs concurrent with the new car/drive train warranty. So if you buy a 5 year extended warranty you really only get 2 additional years of coverage.

I've looked into an extended warranty with my Hellcat. Expensive. Pretty much IIRC around $1000+ a year for coverage. And that includes the overlap years.

Just bought a new Mercedes Benz (van). Was offered an extended warranty. Expensive. Finance guy asked me at what price I would consider the warranty to be "worth" it. Half the asking price. We were done talking warranties. He closed his extended warranty sales book and wrote up the car sale.

If you are a person which keeps his car after warranty and put some miles on the car -- at least 12K miles or so per year -- and to which things tend to go wrong with a car out of warranty the extended warranty might be worth it. But you need to know what it covers and doesn't cover and what is required to keep it in effect. Can you transfer if you sell the car. Can you cancel the warranty and get a pro rated refund for the unused portion of the warranty?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm not sure about what package he has, but mine is at any Dodge Dealer. I didn't even buy it from my dealer. Just like the extended warranty, the oil change package can be bought at any dealer and honored at any dealer.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you are a person which keeps his car after warranty and put some miles on the car -- at least 12K miles or so per year -- and to which things tend to go wrong with a car out of warranty the extended warranty might be worth it. But you need to know what it covers and doesn't cover and what is required to keep it in effect. Can you transfer if you sell the car. Can you cancel the warranty and get a pro rated refund for the unused portion of the warranty?
You are correct. What are the chances something electrical (expensive) will go wrong in 8 years? Better than 50/50 in my opinion. And the cost for the Scat Pack was more like $300 a year for the 5 extra years.
So my 8 year Chrysler warranty is good for 5 years (or 85,000 miles) after the factory warranty expires.
Almost everything is covered except expendables like tires, brakes, wiper blades, etc. All that's needed to keep it in effect is to keep up on maint. (mostly oil changes). I think you can transfer and you can definitely cancel for a refund.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just this weekend I added 5 years FCA backed coverage to my Cat with 6K miles. Totals 8 years but it's only 5 really after the fact and only 3 after drive train but it's a warranted race car, can't ask for more than that. If I decide to hop it up, I can cancel for a refund of what's left.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
In 2011, I got the lifetime full coverage FCA warranty with 100.00 deductible. I think it cost 2100.00 then. It is not transferable. My Challenger sits in the garage most of the time though - still only 7,000 miles on it. I thought I'd drive it more, but I have a truck and I drive the truck far more.
I may never use the warranty, but I'm glad I have it just in case.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,709 Posts
In 2011, I got the lifetime full coverage FCA warranty with 100.00 deductible. I think it cost 2100.00 then. It is not transferable. My Challenger sits in the garage most of the time though - still only 7,000 miles on it. I thought I'd drive it more, but I have a truck and I drive the truck far more.
I may never use the warranty, but I'm glad I have it just in case.
Here is what I don't understand about warranties like that, on old cars.
Facts are facts, they don't make some of the parts anymore, what if something fails, that was on the 10 year old cars, and not on current one, and they don't have the parts anymore, like the nav, or a harness, something. I think car companies are required to have parts for 7 years or something, but at some point, something will not be in stock any more.

·
Registered
203 Posts
they are required to have or make parts for 10 years. At that point the remaining stock of parts should last for quite a few years at least. I just bought a front master cylinder for a 1986 Yamaha NOS straight from Japan.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,709 Posts
they are required to have or make parts for 10 years. At that point the remaining stock of parts should last for quite a few years at least. I just bought a front master cylinder for a 1986 Yamaha NOS straight from Japan.
Not apples-oranges, that same front master cylinder, could have been used for decades on other Yamahas.
I know of several things that went out of stock on other cars I had, maybe 15 years old or so maybe less since the last one of the style was made. It sucks, the car companies wash their hands of them, and you are on your own. A great example for MOPAR is the Chrysler Crossfire, most dealerships don't even have the equipment, or trained people any more, let alone access to parts, and those overlapped the Challenger's first year. I was mainly wondering, what if you have a warranty, and there are no parts? What is the fine print on that? It will happen, probably soon to something obscure.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
A "loophole" in this is IIRC is the factory gets to "estimate" how many parts will be needed. In my experience while things like water pumps and stuff tend to be in stock a good while. Other items can be out of stock in under 10 years.

However, what is in "stock" may not be new (and probably) old stock.

Had to replace an alternator on of my cars, a 2003 model. This was in 2016/2017. There was no new alternator available.

All that was available was a 3rd party rebuilt alternator or a factory rebuilt alternator. The deciding factor in choosing the factory rebuilt unit was it came with a 2 year warranty. While it was a bit more expensive -- I don't recall the difference but it was not that much considering the cost of the unit (close to $1000 not including labor) -- the warranty tipped the scales.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I bought my car used and the salesman talked me into the extended warranty. I somewhat reluctantly agreed.

FCA has now given me 2 new engines in the span of 8 months - so I guess I got my money’s worth this time.

Of course, in the past I’ve bought extended warranties and never used them at all. Roll of the dice.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Ifbyou buy a extended warranty get it from Chrysler directly they offer a money back guarantee if you dont use it on some vehicles i have two of them one on my 2018 ram and one on my 2014 challenger cost $2100 thers a $100 deductible if you ues it , dont buy a third party warrantee they like to use aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,905 Posts
Ifbyou buy a extended warranty get it from Chrysler directly they offer a money back guarantee if you dont use it on some vehicles i have two of them one on my 2018 ram and one on my 2014 challenger cost $2100 thers a $100 deductible if you ues it , dont buy a third party warrantee they like to use aftermarket parts.
Third party companies come and go too. I wouldn't pay a penny for one of those.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,598 Posts
My first question is if you're planning on keeping your Cat after warranty, then and extended warranty might be worth it. If you're one that doesn't keep cars long, then save your money for mods, taking spouse out to dinner, Tesla stock or whatever you want to do with it.

How long is your warranty good for? If it's the 7 year one, then that's a good price, especially with that many oil changes.

I've read a lot of angry comments that this type of deal has some half truth baked in somewhere. As in, it's only semi synthetic, or free up to a certain dollar limit per change ($65 per change for the particular comment I remember).
I got the oil change deal too but I got it in writing that the full synthetic used.

My oil change package has always provided 7 qts 0W40 Pennzoil and a Dodge (Black) filter. No charge for the extra qts. That is a specifically synthetic package.
Same here. I just either bring in the SRT filter or pay the surcharge for it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts