Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 challenger RT. All the exterior lights are LED (side markers, headlights, switch back auxiliary lights, tail lights, and license plate). After driving for a few minutes during the night or early morning while I have the lights turned on, all the lights shut off EXCEPT the headlights?! I’ll quickly turn my knob off and on and all the lights turn back on. Than, poof! A few minutes later and it’s off again!

I got my battery life checked and I still have 89% and I changed my alternator out 2 years ago from the recall. I’m the only owner of the car.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?!

·
Registered
2018 R/T 6M
246 Posts
Bad switch? Not sure if it could fail on the knob. I know you mentioned toggling the knob back and forth and they go back on. What happens if you leave the knob where it is and turn the car off and on. Same result?

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
How about putting the stock light bulbs back in, see what happens? Maybe the electrical system does not like LED's. I'm no electrical engineer, but who knows. Any dealership should be able to tell you what you need, or look in the owners manual.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE: so after driving for a full day, I did have to keep switching the lights fully off and on just to get my lights to turn back on. BUT!!! After a few tries, they never turned back on!! :mad: I parked the car, and poof! Back with the off and on again! Smh...

But thanks for the input fellas. The only reason I converted them all was because some bulbs went out and just decided to go full leds... looks like I now have to buy stock bulbs just to test out the theory :mad:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,198 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Were the LEDs a recent addition, or on the car for a while with no issues? Others have had issues with side markers going off when LED headlights were added, etc.

A Guy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ive been one here for a while, but never actually posted anything lol... I think I need to update my profile.

but anyways, the leds were on for a couple of months now. Last night Idecided to remove my white led halos, and took the car outoo drive to work, looks good, ALMOST. I saw that my led dogs went out, but I just had to press the fog button to turn them back on. All the other lights are on. I’ll most likely have to take my led eagle eye tail lights out and replace them with the stock oems and see if that will work.
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Were the LEDs a recent addition, or on the car for a while with no issues? Others have had issues with side markers going off when LED headlights were added, etc.

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
17,469 Posts
you probably need load resistors for the LEDs - when the system (CANBUS) doesn't see the correct load it can cause errors or intermittent function.

the '08 - '14s were designed around incandescent bulbs and plugging an LED straight into things will have flicker or intermittent function

Reactions: waumo

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
you probably need load resistors for the LEDs - when the system (CANBUS) doesn't see the correct load it can cause errors or intermittent function.

the '08 - '14s were designed around incandescent bulbs and plugging an LED straight into things will have flicker or intermittent function
This^^^

LED's are pretty much no load.

·
Premium Member
3,091 Posts
Sorry MEKrunner, what do you mean by “no load”
LEDs do not draw as much current as OEM incandescent lamps which confuses the computer. Adding resistors makes the LED appear like a regular bulb to the system. Just put OEM lamps back in for troublefree operation. Bulbs are cheap so what if you have to replace one now and then?

Reactions: Bob Ricewasser
1 - 11 of 11 Posts