Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving my 2006 Charger R/T 5.7L V8 Hemi yesterday. I noticed steam coming from under the hood. Got home and found that the upper radiator hose had come off the radiator. Hose is fine. But then I noticed my oil temp was about 280. After letting it run for a few minutes it died and wouldnt turn back on. Waited an hour and she started up again but the oil temp wouldnt go below 250 and got as high as 295 before I shut her down. I've let the the car idle for a while this morning and the oil temp steadily climbs. It's at 255 now and slowly climbing higher. What could be the issue or is there even an issue? Trying to figure it out so I can male it to work tomorrow. Tha is for any help

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,710 Posts
So I was driving my 2006 Charger R/T 5.7L V8 Hemi yesterday. I noticed steam coming from under the hood. Got home and found that the upper radiator hose had come off the radiator. Hose is fine. But then I noticed my oil temp was about 280. After letting it run for a few minutes it died and wouldnt turn back on. Waited an hour and she started up again but the oil temp wouldnt go below 250 and got as high as 295 before I shut her down. I've let the the car idle for a while this morning and the oil temp steadily climbs. It's at 255 now and slowly climbing higher. What could be the issue or is there even an issue? Trying to figure it out so I can male it to work tomorrow. Tha is for any help
Is the coolant level good?

Is the oil level good?

Any low oil pressure warning light on? Any coolant over temperature warning light on? Does the engine sound healthy when operating with what appears to be very high oil temperature?

I'm thinking the leaking hose contaminated the oil temperature sensor electrical connector or this connector was disturbed when the loose hose was addressed.

However, there is too much at risk to be guessing. My advice would be to flat bed the car to a local dealer and describe what happened and let this behavior be investigated.

The engine should not be started/run ideally until it is in the hands of a tech.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the coolant level good?

Is the oil level good?

Any low oil pressure warning light on? Any coolant over temperature warning light on? Does the engine sound healthy when operating with what appears to be very high oil temperature?

I'm thinking the leaking hose contaminated the oil temperature sensor electrical connector or this connector was disturbed when the loose hose was addressed.

However, there is too much at risk to be guessing. My advice would be to flat bed the car to a local dealer and describe what happened and let this behavior be investigated.

The engine should not be started/run ideally until it is in the hands of a tech.
Coolant temp and levels are within normal range. Temp for oil reaches as high as 295 before it starts chugging and wanting to die. Oil pressure is around 35psi. It's the temp that keeps climbing

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,710 Posts
Coolant temp and levels are within normal range. Temp for oil reaches as high as 295 before it starts chugging and wanting to die. Oil pressure is around 35psi. It's the temp that keeps climbing
Well, to state the obvious that's not good. I would not run the engine any at all then. Get the car to pro tech for his diagnosis and counsel.

Didn't want to say anything at first but I have to mention this for the benefit of others and that is if a car manifests a coolant leak you are done driving the car. As soon as it is safe pull over and shut off the engine. Do not continue to drive the car.

Once you shut off the engine do not start the engine drive the car again until the leak has been found and fixed and the cooling system is air pocket free and full of the proper coolant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts