Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Expect a reduction in 60' times by about .3 seconds and more consistent launches.

·
Registered
102 Posts
LOL, sorry but a reduction in .3 is a little toughter than just strapping on a drag radial and running. It'll take some time but you will see a better 60' Once you learn how to launch it. And simply swapping a 20" F1 for a drag radial in the same size will not net you the gains as goin to a smaller 17" tire. Generally an F1 will or could pull a high 1.8-1.9 60ft when warmed up and hit right.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Point being the DR will result in much more consistent 60' times (especially with an auto) and is far more tolerant of bad track prep. I've seen the F1 stick really well with great track prep, and I've seen the F1 spin wildly and go 2.3 60' with bad track prep.

Most F1's are running 2.0-2.1 60' times with a range of 1.8x-2.3x. I stand by the statement the same size DRs will reduce the average 60' time from 2.0-2.1 to 1.7-1.8 (a 0.3 reduction).

At the two extremes, there might be almost no improvement over a perfect F1 launch with good track prep, or there might be an 0.6 improvement over wildly spinning F1s with bad track prep.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Doing a lengthy burn-out on street tires is not a good idea. Drive around the water box (not through it) and do a quick haze in a damp area to clean-off the tires. The damp area will prevent a lot of wheel hop and the tires will spin pretty easily.

With drag radials, track rules vary on whether or not they will let you use the water box. If you have a lot of tread on the DRs, just back into a damp/wet area and do a longer burn-out.

If you are running slicks, dunk them in the water box and give them a standard heat cycle (i.e., big smoky burn-out) to get them ready.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Any drag radial will help quite a bit over the F1's. Well at least it will make you more consistant. You will NEVER see me do a burnout in F1's or any non drag radial tire. It just makes things worse. I do a small dry "burnout" maybe 5 to 10 tire rotations then a few dry hops to see how the car will launch. Ive gotten 1.8's on F1's and RSA's. Its not easy but can be done. With a drag radial it will make it much more easy to get 1.8's or better in a Challenger.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
The difference is night and day!!

But go with the NT05R....the NT555R is a good DR, but is still quite hard....requires a long burnout (10 seconds), The NTo5R is sticky!!! A small 4 second burnout, and I am able to leave the line with 4500 rpm....the NT555R I was still getting spin at around 4000.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
555r is not a real drag radial. look at some m&h or similar if you want that, or get slicks

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
not a real DR? what are you talking about they are very good DR's I ran them up to 575rwhp and they worked great.
09r/t got it right. You need to do a long burnout with the 555r's they need to get good and hot also 18psi in them is the sweet spot.
I still run them on my Trixie SRT8
They work way better than the F1's and yes they will help big time with the wheel hop. The F1's have been proven to cause wheel hop.
Even the RSA's are better than the F1's at the track, on the road the F1's hold the road great but not at the track.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
555r is not a real drag radial. look at some m&h or similar if you want that, or get slicks
do you even have any experience with any drag radial at all? or is this all just hear say from all the other pit genius's you heard from

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
SRT8 Auto corsa cat back mopar cai 93 can tune Nitto 555r's
completely stock SRT8 with Nitto 555r's
she ran 3 back to back 12.8's
you can hear them sticking to the track like glue

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
in the beginning 535rwhp camarofest kenne bell nitto 555r's
I'd say from lots of experience these are some awesome DR's

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
do you even have any experience with any drag radial at all? or is this all just hear say from all the other pit genius's you heard from
Yes, I do. I have run a set of nittos vs. a set of MT back to back on my vette and the MTs hooked a lot better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.