Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of people, including me are satisfied with the factory shifter but want a different knob or grip. You can't change the knob out unless you change out the stick also. I couldn't find a stick for the factory shifter so I built based on another members idea. It works awesome! The other member used a grade 8 1/2" bolt, cut the head off, flattened the bottom and drilled and tapped the two factory mounting holes in the bolt and put a knob on the straight stick. When I did mine I used a grade 8, 1/2" bolt but I heated and bent the rod towards the rear a bit on bottom and back forward at the top a bit further. This is picture of one of the three I made for trial and error laying next to the factory handle:
IMG_0534.jpg
Sorry I forgot to take pics of the one I used before I installed it, the only difference is the one I used is 1/2" shorter and has more bend in it. I used a Hurst pistol grip for mine and this is what it looks like installed. I took pictures of it on neutral, third and fourth so you can see the clearances.
IMG_0531.jpg IMG_0532.jpg IMG_0533.jpg

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Great job! That looks like a cool project for my next mod.

What was the length of the bolt?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a 7 1/2" bolt. I used a grade 8 but a grade 5 will work too since heating the bolt to bend it will change the temper of the steel. It would be real hard to break anyway as short as it is. You also need a 17/64 drill bit and an 8mm- 125 thread tap for the two lower mounting holes so the factory bolts will work

1 - 3 of 3 Posts