Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 HC WB, Octane red, A8; 20 SP, Octane red, A8 (gone); 16 SP, Granite Pearl (gone)
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve searched and found a few differing opinions on this... have any of you driven in snow with the factory P zero All Season tires? Absolute impossibility or capable? I ask because there’s a slim chance I’ll see light snow during a road trip in just over a week. I’m heading south out of Washington through Oregon to ultimately arrive in Tucson. Oregon roads has me wondering.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
They are garbage in my opinion. The first time I drove in snow I could still see the pavement through it and I was sliding all over the place. Needless to say if I see snow in the forecast, I'm taking a different car. They really aren't much better in the rain either.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
No experience with Pirelli all season tires, but I had some Michelin all season tires on my VW Golf. The tires were rather impressive in several inches of snow. I even ventured into Colorado in winter -- but not before stopping in Gran Junction and picking up a set of tire cables for just in case -- and even dared to get off the freeway and drive through Cooper Mountain with snow on all its roads.

Was feeling quite happy with the all seasons.

Then on another trip stopped at Williams AZ. Lots of snow on the ground. Was sick so I holed up in the hotel 2 nights. Feeling better the 2nd night I ventured out. Managed to get out of the snow covered (but plowed snow) parking lot and onto a frontage road. On this road came to sharp left turn and the car left the road. Fortunately I countered steered and at the same time gave the engine some throttle and the front tires gripped and pulled the car back on the road. No harm other than a pounding heart.

Aso, I've seen a number of videos of big old pick ups with honking great tires in snow. They often do not fare well. In one case the driver took an off ramp, covered in snow. The driver braked but the tires lose grip and the truck slides down the off ramp. In one case the driver managed to use the shoulder to avoid rear ending a line of cars stopped at the bottom of the off ramp.

In other cases the driver is not so lucky. I have seen cars on highways -- sometimes with bare pavement where the tires of other vehicles have been -- suddenly just drift out of their lane into the lane of oncoming traffic. Bad enough if two cars meet but in some cases the now out of control car gets hit by a big truck. Head on sometimes but most often the car is sideways. The impact just obliterates the car and often kills everyone on the car.

All seasons are fine until they are not fine.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,417 Posts
100% junk in anything remotely cold or wet. Even dry traction is reduced compared to others.
I live in WA. couldnt wait to get them off my hellcat. Garbage all the way around. There are many better options.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
713 Posts
There are far better options. Go w/ Michelin if you can.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,497 Posts
This makes me nervous now as my wife's GT has P Zeros on it from the factory.... What wheels and tires should I get? Does anyone make wheels (aftermarket) for the AWD?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
This makes me nervous now as my wife's GT has P Zeros on it from the factory.... What wheels and tires should I get? Does anyone make wheels (aftermarket) for the AWD?
If your dear wife is going to drive the car in the snow/ice -- and remember in winter shaded areas of the road can have frost on them -- my advice would be to check with say Tire Rack for what it offers in the way of real snow tires and wheels. So you can remove the "summer" tires/wheels and put on the winter tires/wheels. 'course real snow tires do not make the car an arctic cat. Your dear wife will still have to take into account the differences between driving in/on snow vs. driving on dry pavement, but I'm sure she's quite up to that.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
If your dear wife is going to drive the car in the snow/ice -- and remember in winter shaded areas of the road can have frost on them -- my advice would be to check with say Tire Rack for what it offers in the way of real snow tires and wheels. So you can remove the "summer" tires/wheels and put on the winter tires/wheels. 'course real snow tires do not make the car an arctic cat. Your dear wife will still have to take into account the differences between driving in/on snow vs. driving on dry pavement, but I'm sure she's quite up to that.
Yes, She had a RWD Charger before the AWD Challenger, She has driven my old 4WD Liberty in the snow and my AWD Cherokee, not to mention other cars as we are from Ohio. I told her to put the traction in "Sport Mode" as that keeps it in full time AWD in the winter, and to use the paddle shifters to start out in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Yes, She had a RWD Charger before the AWD Challenger, She has driven my old 4WD Liberty in the snow and my AWD Cherokee, not to mention other cars as we are from Ohio. I told her to put the traction in "Sport Mode" as that keeps it in full time AWD in the winter, and to use the paddle shifters to start out in 2nd gear.
All that was available when I was a kid was rear wheel drive vehicles. I do not recall seeing any 4-wheel drive pickups and while there were jeeps around -- surplus mostly maybe only -- they were used as farm vehicles. Hardly ever seeing the pavement.

But when the snow flew life didn't come to a standstill. I recall my Mom getting into the car -- a 1960 Ford Ranch Wagon -- and we headed out sometimes in inches deep snow. She drove just fine. And it was a manual with a 3 on the tree. Other women I knew likewise were quite capable of handling winter driving. Even my Dad's Mom managed to get around just fine driving an old DeSoto sedan. Probably early 1950's model.

For some time Dad managed a tire store in town and it was his habit at some point to have the cars in and the summer rear wheel/tires removed and a pair of snow tires on wheels fitted to the car. Both cars even had a set of tire chains for just in case and I can remember once in a while being in the car when it had chains on. Of course the tire store did this for any number of other people as did all the tires stores in town and at that time many gas stations also had lifts and would do wheel/tire swaps in the fall and then again come spring.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,731 Posts
Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Registered
16,216 Posts
GT AWD with Pirelli's? Never seen that, all AWD cars come with 19" Michelins far as I know.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
GT AWD with Pirelli's? Never seen that, all AWD cars come with 19" Michelins far as I know.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
run flats as there is no spare in the car. Just went out and looked yep Perelli P Zer0 235/55 R19

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
Actually I am over thinking this, in My 20" R/T wheels fit, I only need them on the rear not all 4. The rear could be 245 of I could use my 10.5" wheels and look for 2 305 or 315 snow tires. I think only the front requires an odd offset hence the skinny wheels.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,731 Posts
Pirelli Scorpion Verde run flat? Don't believe they make a PZero run flat that size

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,731 Posts
Ahh, OK, not run flats, that threw me ;)

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,731 Posts
No, they do make a run flat for certain manufacturers (BMW, Mini), but the ones that come on a Challenger are not run flat. Most Challengers don't come with a spare these days. Does yours have the inflator in the wheel well?

A Guy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts