Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although the 11 model 392's are just now landing in large numbers, I have had people ask me about "next year" already. With the GT500 and now the ZL1 sporting factory blown motors, what do you think or "have heard" about a blown Mopar answer in the next year or two? Speculation or fact, let's hear your take on the matter. Thanks, Counterman.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Although the 11 model 392's are just now landing in large numbers, I have had people ask me about "next year" already. With the GT500 and now the ZL1 sporting factory blown motors, what do you think or "have heard" about a blown Mopar answer in the next year or two? Speculation or fact, let's hear your take on the matter. Thanks, Counterman.
This is strictly speculation on my part: :)

I think there's very little chance of seeing any engine changes for the 6.4L next year. 2011 is going to be a short model year and typically engines run for several years before the next change. Based on waht we've seen about the the 2012 Charger SRT8 the 6.4l is here to stay. The ZL1 is an exception, the Camaro probably wouldn't have gotten an engine upgrade so quick except that they took the tech from the Caddy CTS-V. If it wouldn't have been for that I bet they would have ran until 2013 with only a minor tweak here or there in HP.

On the other hand the current version of the 5.7 (2009-2011) may see an update in 2012. The current Dodge Ram has a 390hp 5.7l so it should be easily doable. If they decide to s/c the 5.7 you may see 500hp.

V10...well there's the engine I want to talk about. The Challenger Super Stock Concept featured a crate 392 Hemi and eventually found it's way into the production Challenger. I think The V10 Drag pack has a possibility of showing up in a production challenger. The 1320 concept with a 426 existed as well and I think this has a chance as well.

So in 2014 we may see a 426 or V10 but nothing sooner than that. I don't think we'll see a production super charger or turbo charger at all.

There you have my take on things to come. :)

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I believe we will see a 426 in about 3-4 years. The 392 debut in 2005 as a crate engine and we are just now seeing it in a production car (roughly 5 years). The 426 Gen III debut late in 09 I think, so it probably has a few years left of certification and testing etc. 2014MY-2015MY will be a big year for the Challenger. The next big thing (other SRT8s notwithstanding) is going to be the Viper introduction - 2013MY. Shortly after, the 426 Hemi Challenger! I'd bet the house on it (not really, lol).

·
Banned
863 Posts
I don't think we will see any blown options from Dodge. The 392 Hemi pumps out lots of power as is. There are only a "few" of us retro Challenger fans out there, the market is not big enough in my opinion. (which is not a bad thing either)
I think more than 50% of Challengers sold last year were SE's.
We have better chances in seeing the V10 option which at 600 hp N/A...I'd smack my mother-in-law to get into one of those things.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would agree with 426. It just has that "got to do it" thing. I mean 426 and Hemi Challenger .....Gota do that.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Both the Mustang and the Camaro have blown engines that were initially developed for other platforms (Lightning pickup and CTS-V, respectively). Those other 2 platforms bore the brunt of the development cost, so putting them in the Mustang and Camaro was a relatively inexpensive proposition. Ma Mopar does not have any blown engines, so a supercharged Challenger would have to bear the development costs alone, or at best, across the LX platform (Charger and 300). I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell of that happening. It would be much cheaper to up the displacement.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Chrysler needs to offer the 426 now not in 3 years
ditto a Vert option.
Why ? Because you don't know what the oil cartels have
in mind for the next "shortage" & if gas were to shoot up to $5
it can effectively kill this market
GM has 4 applications for it's blown motor & ford
had the S/C since 2007

It's 2011 , last 426 hemi in a challenger , charger or other applications
was 40 years ago

They can easily use the motor in the new 300, Charger , Trucks & even the Viper .

As for the V-10 challenger ...anyone have one ???
Are they all sold out ??
How does the V-10 comapre to the 392 weight wise ?
That would be pretty smokin !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts