Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This might be worthy of a sticky, but I'm not the judge around here..

For those who want to see the difference, I suppose I'll post up the pics I took while converting Nichole's car. These bostons are the same regardless of sound group I or sound group II. SGII only adds an extra dash speaker in the center and the 8" deck sub (and the extra 2 amp channels). I'll start at the rear.

Kicker rear deck 6.5 next to Boston:

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doors (boston on the left this time). Note to all you guys with base 4 speaker audio: Mopar offers a different part number for the door speakers, which gives you a 2 way kicker 6X9 in the door instead of this midrange, since you don't have dash speakers or the "spatial imaging" amp. The extra tweeter would do no good on boston equipped cars, since the amp only sends mids to the doors.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Dash 3.5"s: I bought an extra kicker 3.5 for the center channel. Not sure why really. I guess mainly "because I could", It was cheap and the kicker upgrade amp runs it (and it runs the boston 8" sub just fine).

Everyone should have one of these sprag screwdrivers.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
how do u remove the speaker grills on the dash....i want to clean them up and vacuum inside...i know there has to be dust in there lol

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Just a note for any one viewing this thread.. you absolutely can not judge how a speaker sounds/performs on how it looks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update from me:

We sold the car and my memory on this deal is getting fuzzy. My inbox is about full from PMs i've gotten in relation to this thread. I no longer have a need to be here and it probably won't do anyone any good to PM me because I won't see it. If it's not posted here I probably don't remember it anyway lol.

It was a good upgrade for the money spent, and literally bolted right in, no fabrication/adapters of any kind. The rear deck sub could have been better but I heard the single kicker 10 in the trunk and it was not worth a crap either. Of course you can't judge sound by looks but it doesn't take a F#%$in rocket scientist to see that the kickers will outperform the paper whizzer cone boston garbage that was in there. At a reasonable price to boot! If you want speakers that are a noticeable step above the kickers you will spend some serious coin on them and need more amplification/processing than what the factory has to offer in any form. I ****ed with high end stereo, I know this won't win any sound competitions but a lot of people don't need that in their daily drivers. Mopar bucks paid for it all and I'm pretty sure the nice lady in bakersfield california is enjoying the hell out of that car right now with that stereo. We loved that car but it was too much money to have wrapped up in garage art and DD duty was out of the equation because we have 2 car seats.

Peace out!
bob

:crazy:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I don't know anyone who thinks the Kicker set up sounds as good as the Boston one does. Louder doesn't mean better. Not that the Boston one sounds all that great anyway. I listened to both when I bought my Charger and the choice was obvious. When I shopped for my Challenger, I made sure it didn't have it. I almost screwed up and bought one with it.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
paper woofers can actually be quite good. Aluminum cones can have a tingy noise to them sometimes if done improperly (or so i have read).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts