Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wanted to get your opinion on something: if money and warranty wasn't a deciding factor, would you prefer a modded lower power model Challenger (e.g. 5.7 or 6.4) or a stock higher hp version (e.g. 6.4 or 6.2 Hellcat)? The reason I ask is as many of you know, I recently traded in my Scat Pack Shaker for a 5.7L equipped R/T Plus with the M6. I did this for financial reasons while I go back to grad school. Just wondering what I may do with the car in 4 years when I'm done. I really enjoy this car, and to be honest , could see myself (and kids) getting attached to it. In the past I've traded in about every 2 years or so.

I've always liked the idea of modding a 5.7 car with a supercharger and suspension upgrades and really making the car my own. The other part of me thinks I should just get rid of it once I'm done and get a new SRT or something (last of the current body or what ever is next). The car would be close to being paid off so from a cost perspective, adding a blower wouldn't be a bad choice and the car will be out of warranty or close to it. 5.7s are also great engines for forced induction.

I've always liked "day-two" cars and have enjoyed reading the build threads over the years. At the very least I'd love to drop the car off at Petty's Garage and let them add their magic.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Wanted to get your opinion on something: if money and warranty wasn't a deciding factor, would you prefer a modded lower power model Challenger (e.g. 5.7 or 6.4) or a stock higher hp version (e.g. 6.4 or 6.2 Hellcat)? The reason I ask is as many of you know, I recently traded in my Scat Pack Shaker for a 5.7L equipped R/T Plus with the M6. I did this for financial reasons while I go back to grad school. Just wondering what I may do with the car in 4 years when I'm done. I really enjoy this car, and to be honest , could see myself (and kids) getting attached to it. In the past I've traded in about every 2 years or so.

I've always liked the idea of modding a 5.7 car with a supercharger and suspension upgrades and really making the car my own. The other part of me thinks I should just get rid of it once I'm done and get a new SRT or something (last of the current body or what ever is next). The car would be close to being paid off so from a cost perspective, adding a blower wouldn't be a bad choice and the car will be out of warranty or close to it. 5.7s are also great engines for forced induction.

I've always liked "day-two" cars and have enjoyed reading the build threads over the years. At the very least I'd love to drop the car off at Petty's Garage and let them add their magic.

What are your thoughts?
I guess I could look it up, but does the 5.7 and the 6.2 share a common block?

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
I guess I could look it up, but does the 5.7 and the 6.2 share a common block?[/QUOTE]

Simple answer... No.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Subbed for inputs. This might help me on what to choose. A fully loaded 17/18 5.7 or a used 16-17 SRT.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Factory hotrod would be my choice. You can't beat a high horsepower car with a factory warranty.

Reactions: silver scat

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
I'd suppose this factors into some other "future items":

*kids going to college soon around that time

*college loans

*renovations / repairs needed on house

With those items, the question might be is it wise to keep what you have, or buy another car.

Resale on a car with mods - the mods do little to add to resale, or a buyer might be wary of whether the car was abused or run hard...

Those are some other points to factor in with what may be on the horizon in four years time.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Factory hotrod would be my choice. You can't beat a high horsepower car with a factory warranty.
That's why I was saying warranty and money aside... The question I'm basically asking here is would you guys like to mod and build your hotrod or just buy one and leave it alone.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I’d just like a heavy cam, just listening to it idle gets me going. It doesn’t have to be a rocket ship.

How bout it? Love that sound/feel. Nothing wrong with 485 hp either! Nice compromise.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
For me, life expenses will continue to go up after school but my income (as it is now) will double. This is why I'm pulling money out of the equation. I like the idea of an Arrinigton or Petty build Challenger that would be different from every other stock Scat Pack or Hellcat. Something with 500-600 rwhp (supercharger, long tubes, and cam) and my hand picked styling cues. Upgraded brakes, stiffer anti-sway bars, Katzkin custom interior with the petty logo etc. Then I could pick out my own wheels too. The more I watch the Velocity channel with all the custom car programs the more I respect that personal individualism. Spend $20-30k on my $34k R/T (MSRP $41K) and have a more unique and fast car.

Or... I could just order a new SRT 392 or Hellcat and call it a day. Somehow I feel like I'd get bored if there was nothing to do to it. I grew up working on my Camaro and Mustang in high school always trying to make them faster and cooler. I still have the Mustang to work on but a Challenger hotrod could be cool.

·
Registered
188 Posts
For me, life expenses will continue to go up after school but my income (as it is now) will double...
Save your money and start investing in your retirement. Blowing money on cars is the last thing you should do, it's just money down the drain. It makes no financial sense to put money into cars. Don't get me wrong, cars are fun and fun to hotrod but money saved now will have a big payoff later. I hope I don't get banned saying this, lol.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Save your money and start investing in your retirement. Blowing money on cars is the last thing you should do, it's just money down the drain. It makes no financial sense to put money into cars. Don't get me wrong, cars are fun and fun to hotrod but money saved now will have a big payoff later. I hope I don't get banned saying this, lol.
Not at all. That's good, smart advice. Maybe just a supercharger install for $8K... I've bought so many cars that I hate starting over once I've made payments on this R/T for 4 years. I'll also have a more substantial income after that and I know 375 stock hp won't be enough. 3 kids starting college in 13-18 years is worth saving for as well lol.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
For me, life expenses will continue to go up after school but my income (as it is now) will double. This is why I'm pulling money out of the equation. I like the idea of an Arrinigton or Petty build Challenger that would be different from every other stock Scat Pack or Hellcat. Something with 500-600 rwhp (supercharger, long tubes, and cam) and my hand picked styling cues. Upgraded brakes, stiffer anti-sway bars, Katzkin custom interior with the petty logo etc. Then I could pick out my own wheels too. The more I watch the Velocity channel with all the custom car programs the more I respect that personal individualism. Spend $20-30k on my $34k R/T (MSRP $41K) and have a more unique and fast car.

Or... I could just order a new SRT 392 or Hellcat and call it a day. Somehow I feel like I'd get bored if there was nothing to do to it. I grew up working on my Camaro and Mustang in high school always trying to make them faster and cooler. I still have the Mustang to work on but a Challenger hotrod could be cool.

I think your mind may have already subconsciously decided. :eek2:

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
I could have bought the Hellcat but at the time their prices were out of control. The benefit with the RT is I only pay $400 a year in insurance.

I bought my RT+ for $31,000 cash OTD in 2016, installed a supercharger $7800, installed headers $1300, and installed corsa cat back $1280 which puts me at $41,380 (no labor cost as I did myself). That is basically what a low miles SP goes for nowadays and they have better (stiffer) suspension and brakes. Add about another ~$5,000 to $10,000 and you have a used hell cat.

Sure I produce a little more power but I still crave for a big engine and big power, even though I can barely use what I have now as my commute is all city driving.

Do I regret my decision to go with a RT, not really as I enjoyed all the wrenching (even the headers...but the passenger side was a PITA) and I like the look of the Classic RT package but they could have made the wheels wider like the SP. BUT if I had the funds available today, I would have gone with a hellcat.

·
Premium Member
9,671 Posts
I could have bought the Hellcat but at the time their prices were out of control. The benefit with the RT is I only pay $400 a year in insurance.

I bought my RT+ for $31,000 cash OTD in 2016, installed a supercharger $7800, installed headers $1300, and installed corsa cat back $1280 which puts me at $41,380 (no labor cost as I did myself). That is basically what a low miles SP goes for nowadays and they have better (stiffer) suspension and brakes. Add about another ~$5,000 to $10,000 and you have a used hell cat.

Sure I produce a little more power but I still crave for a big engine and big power, even though I can barely use what I have now as my commute is all city driving.

Do I regret my decision to go with a RT, not really as I enjoyed all the wrenching (even the headers...but the passenger side was a PITA) and I like the look of the Classic RT package but they could have made the wheels wider like the SP. BUT if I had the funds available today, I would have gone with a hellcat.
Were you able to add the mods to the policy so you’re covered on all the goodies?

·
Registered
9,667 Posts
Not at all. That's good, smart advice. Maybe just a supercharger install for $8K... I've bought so many cars that I hate starting over once I've made payments on this R/T for 4 years. I'll also have a more substantial income after that and I know 375 stock hp won't be enough. 3 kids starting college in 13-18 years is worth saving for as well lol.

Personal hot rods are cool and fun, an you probably already know that any money spent in mods won't get recouped at sale time. Just part of the game of being personalized.

Reactions: MuscleCarProf

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

Well these are all good problems. There may be all new options by then. Until then.............muscle along in that new r/t+
Good luck. See out of looming disaster opens all new doors.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Were you able to add the mods to the policy so you’re covered on all the goodies?
You think insurance would be worth it? I have a $500 deductible and anytime I have filed a claim my rates go up. Last time I went through my insurance for a cracked windshield (trucker in front of me had loose gravel falling from his trailer, went to court and the guy never showed) it was $600 to replace the glass through my insurance. I went to my local glass repair shop and it cost me $225.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts