Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those who have the factory remote start, besides starting the car what else will operate inside the car. Will it turn on heated seats, heater, and rear defogger and is it dependent on outside temperature. Do you have to set anything the night before.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I didn't think you could have a remote start with a 6 speed. I thought the rear widow heater came on as long as you remember to turn the heater on. I know you have to remember to turn the heat on and fan on before getting out.

·
Registered
532 Posts
All it does is start the car... Your have to set the A/C or heater before you lock up the car. You can't preset the heated seats, they turn off as soon as you turn the car off.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It will roll down the windows too!

Just hold the button down the 2nd time you press it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No it won't do anything but start the car. Interesting question though because there are extra features on the new charger and 300. With remote start the heated seats and heated steering will turn on if temp is below a certain temperature (cant remember the exact number). If you get the vented seats on the 300 those will turn on if temp is above a certain temperature.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason I'm asking is I just traded a 2011 Acadia in for a leftover 2010 Hemi C AWD in DWB. On the Acadia you had to set the heater controls but the rear defroster and heated seats also turned on. On the Hemi C only the heater and rear defrost turn on no seats. A pic of the Hemi C.

No it won't do anything but start the car. Interesting question though because there are extra features on the new charger and 300. With remote start the heated seats and heated steering will turn on if temp is below a certain temperature (cant remember the exact number). If you get the vented seats on the 300 those will turn on if temp is above a certain temperature.

Attachments

·
Banned
557 Posts
I didn't think you could have a remote start with a 6 speed.
Correct. Although theoretically it should be possible to install a factory remote start system on a 6-speed and by-pass the safety feature. Obviously you would need to be EXTRA careful that your car is in neutral and E-brake engaged.

In regards to what it does, I don't know for sure as I have a 6-speed and don't have it. But I could have sworn I read a thread or two here, or maybe the big list of Challenger tips & tricks that said you could program it to do more than just start via the EVIC.

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,119 Posts
My rear defrost comes on with the autostart during cold temps.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
The reason I said that about 6 speeds and remote starts was because the op sign said he has a skip shift eliminator and that's why I was wondering why he cares about remote starts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The reason I'm asking is I just traded a 2011 Acadia in for a leftover 2010 Hemi C AWD in DWB. On the Acadia you had to set the heater controls but the rear defroster and heated seats also turned on. On the Hemi C only the heater and rear defrost turn on no seats. A pic of the Hemi C.
Ah ok. No auto heated seats with remote start on 2010. Only available on 2011.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
OK, I do not mean to hi-jack this thread but what is the real scoop here. I ask the question back about his time in 2009 if the Challenger would heat up the rear window defroster and turn on the front window heater blower when the outside air temp was below 40F. The answer I got then was this:

If you look in the manual, it says that when using the remote start it will adjust the HVAC setting to the current tempature. If below 40 degrees it turns on the front and rear defrost. Between 40 and 80 is does nothing and over 80 it turns on full cool. It is own page 234 of the owners manual. The blower motor cannot be set in the off position for this to work.

Joe
My question was answered and I went on with my life with the happy knowledge in the back of my mind that the Challenger had this feature. Now I have ordered my new 2011 SRT, downloaded the owners manual, and I can not find mention of this anywhere. What gives? Can someone up north (with a 2011) auto start there car for me, open the door and see if the heater came on? If the seats warm up too, that would just be a bonus. What good is auto start if it will not defrost your windows?

If I have over looked this in the owners manual, please point me to a page number.

This is from the 2009 Challenger Owners Manual

Remote Start – If Equipped
During remote start operation, the climate control software
may override the climate control settings depending
on the outside ambient temperature. The table below
explains the different scenarios that could occur during
remote start operation.
Once the driver enters the vehicle, the control will return
to the customer selected settings. This feature was designed
to ensure maximum comfort during extreme
conditions. To enable the feature, customers must park
their vehicles with the blower control set in any of the
four blower speeds.

Here is the link to where you can download owners manuals from dodge:

My Dodge: Dodge Owners Service Manuals - Dodge Cars, Trucks, Minivans, SUVs, Wagons, Hatchbacks

Thanks Guys

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I don't have an 11 so I waited a few min. before posting this to see if you got the answer you were looking for but didn't see an answer. You ask what good is a remote start if it doesn't defrost the windows and warm up the car. It will defrost the windows if you have the defrosters on when you leave the car and instead of waiting 5 to 10 min. for the engine to heat up to get warm air, the heater blows hot air as soon as you get in it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Now I have ordered my new 2011 SRT, downloaded the owners manual, and I can not find mention of this anywhere. What gives? Can someone up north (with a 2011) auto start there car for me, open the door and see if the heater came on? If the seats warm up too, that would just be a bonus. What good is auto start if it will not defrost your windows?

Thanks Guys
I can check in the morning for you Ken. I don't really think it would because that would be a higher temperature than the manual knobs are already set on. Seems like it would be kind of like it shifting into first if the shifter is in neutral, if you can kind of understand what I'm saying, I'm sort of an idiot lol.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
I don't have an 11 so I waited a few min. before posting this to see if you got the answer you were looking for but didn't see an answer. You ask what good is a remote start if it doesn't defrost the windows and warm up the car. It will defrost the windows if you have the defrosters on when you leave the car and instead of waiting 5 to 10 min. for the engine to heat up to get warm air, the heater blows hot air as soon as you get in it.
Thank you very much for your reply. I know this. The question was with the auto feature. In my 2008 charger, if you put the temp comtrols to auto, when the out side air temp is below 40F, the front and back window heaters would come on with auto-start. When you put the key in the ignition and turned it to on, the temp controls would go to the preset settings. (the way the car controls where set when you left the car last) You would get to your car with the windows clear. Not just have hot air available.

I can check in the morning for you Ken. I don't really think it would because that would be a higher temperature than the manual knobs are already set on. Seems like it would be kind of like it shifting into first if the shifter is in neutral, if you can kind of understand what I'm saying, I'm sort of an idiot lol.
Thanks for checking, can you do me a favor and check with your temp control in the auto position? Like set it there before you try the auto start.

P.S. sorry about all the run-on sentences miss spellings and rambling.

Also, no big deal really. It is not a deal breaker for me anyway. I can just check for myself in a couple of weeks when I get the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts